Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
User avatar
Somebodystopme!!   10 W

10 W
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 25 2013 12:39am

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Somebodystopme!! » Nov 26 2014 6:35pm

teslanv wrote:
teslanv wrote:I think my controller just crapped out. :cry:
When I turn it on it flashes momentarily and then shuts down.
I have contacted both Paul and LeGrand about getting a replacement. Hoping I can get the new 9FET controller.
Less than 1000 miles on this unit.
I love this drive when it works, but Bafang better step up their game.
LeGrand suggested I check the battery connection. Turns out I had a poor connection somewhere in the line. Wired up a new battery cable and the controller is working like it should. No problem with the controller after all. :oops:
that's good news. Mine just started doing the same Exact thing! I bought a new kit to install on my Kona Stinky and was just getting ready to hit the track after my last test run when this happened. I'll check my Battery connections and cable. weird electric bugs.

User avatar
Somebodystopme!!   10 W

10 W
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 25 2013 12:39am

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Somebodystopme!! » Nov 27 2014 3:27pm

That fixed it, thanks Tesla!

joshseitz   100 W

100 W
Posts: 138
Joined: Jan 17 2010 2:14am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by joshseitz » Nov 28 2014 12:52am

I've now changed to a new cassette and chain. It all almost work fine.

The front chain sometime fell off while riding. It happens most of the time when I change gears.

Would that be because the chain isn't properly tensioned?
Or maybe i need some front chain alignment guide?
I too have experienced occasional chain drop on my BBS02, particularly following a rough section or when coming off a jump. I plan to transition to a new short cage Shimano Shadow+ derailleur with the clutch that maintains constant tension on the cage. I could also stand to shorten the chain by a couple of links. I may also add a chain guide up front as well. I'll report if this all amounts to fewer chain drops.

User avatar
Somebodystopme!!   10 W

10 W
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 25 2013 12:39am

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Somebodystopme!! » Nov 28 2014 12:56am

joshseitz wrote:
I've now changed to a new cassette and chain. It all almost work fine.

The front chain sometime fell off while riding. It happens most of the time when I change gears.

Would that be because the chain isn't properly tensioned?
Or maybe i need some front chain alignment guide?
I too have experienced occasional chain drop on my BBS02, particularly following a rough section or when coming off a jump. I plan to transition to a new short cage Shimano Shadow+ derailleur with the clutch that maintains constant tension on the cage. I could also stand to shorten the chain by a couple of links. I may also add a chain guide up front as well. I'll report if this all amounts to fewer chain drops.
A chain guide upfront on the sprocket will or should, end those issues for you. They did for me.

User avatar
Aushiker   100 W

100 W
Posts: 170
Joined: Mar 08 2014 8:47am

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Aushiker » Dec 13 2014 4:16am

I am in the process of transferring the motor from one bike to a new one. I have installed the motor and started wiring up it but have struck a problem similar to what teslanv previously reported in this video ...



I am getting a crackling sound coming from the motor, the battery indicator flashes empty on the display and the display shuts down. The connectors are the same as on the original bike which was working but will recheck all that tomorrow just to be sure. Does anyone have any other suggestions or things I should check?

Edit: I have had a play with the multimeter and tested the power cables. With the cable disconnected from the motor I am measuring just over 41v however when I plug the cable into the cable coming from the motor and then push the probes into the back of the connector (Anderson) on the motor side, the voltage reading drops to around 31v. I am pretty sure I am getting a good connection with the multimeter as I can see the metal parts of the connector. Does this sound like a connection problem?

Thanks
Andrew

cwah   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4204
Joined: Jul 24 2011 5:42am
Location: Between paris and london

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by cwah » Dec 16 2014 8:25am

I'm sick of pedal assist that never do it the way I want.

Is it possible to turn off pedal assist and only have throttle?
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

User avatar
tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4103
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by tomjasz » Dec 16 2014 1:15pm

cwah wrote:I'm sick of pedal assist that never do it the way I want.

Is it possible to turn off pedal assist and only have throttle?
Don't pedal. OR. Turn assist to zero and use the throttle. Mine came programmed to run on throttle.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

cwah   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4204
Joined: Jul 24 2011 5:42am
Location: Between paris and london

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by cwah » Dec 16 2014 2:21pm

tomjasz wrote:
cwah wrote:I'm sick of pedal assist that never do it the way I want.

Is it possible to turn off pedal assist and only have throttle?
Don't pedal. OR. Turn assist to zero and use the throttle. Mine came programmed to run on throttle.
When i turn pedal assist to 0 the throttle stops too. In mine throttle is proportional to the level of pedal assist.

I have C963
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

User avatar
tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4103
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by tomjasz » Dec 16 2014 2:29pm

cwah wrote:
tomjasz wrote:
cwah wrote:I'm sick of pedal assist that never do it the way I want.

Is it possible to turn off pedal assist and only have throttle?
Don't pedal. OR. Turn assist to zero and use the throttle. Mine came programmed to run on throttle.
When i turn pedal assist to 0 the throttle stops too. In mine throttle is proportional to the level of pedal assist.

I have C963
I'd go to the programming thread and find out what you can change. Sorry, I'm all set up to program but never bothered to change anything since I'm happy with the settings as they are. Someone will give you the answer. Lectric Cycles and EM3ev both ship with full throttle in all settings.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

Mark-az   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 13 2014 10:17pm
Location: Tempe AZ USA

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Mark-az » Dec 21 2014 7:16pm

Installed 2 BSS02 750w purchased 11/11 with 48v bottle batteries.
The one on my 29in mtb works very nicely. I haven't changed the programming as I have not received the USB to Serial connector yet. SWMBO said my grin was huge when I got back from my first ride.

Of course the 2nd unit, after installation on my SWMBO's bike yesterday, did not work as expected.
After installation and making the battery connections, and lots of zip ties, I pushed the power button to get into the password protected area and the rear wheel immediately spun, very disconcerting. The display stayed blank. I then, foolishly I think now, took the bike out and rode it up and down the block. Pedal assist was evident.
I turned be battery off and on a couple of times hoping there would be something to see on the display, no joy.
Today nothing happens when I pedal.

I haven't seen the behavior described in any of the bafang threads.

The battery checked out at 54v.

I have asked the Aliexpress vendor if I can swap displays between the two; but, I'm not sure what the problem is so I want them to say 'go ahead' as I'm guessing the 2nd controller might be able to fry the good display.

When told of the problem my son said "you haven't given feedback to them, right?". I had to say I have... :oops:

Oh, and before we get into the 'full support from trusted vendor' discussion I found this site on 11/11 and hadn't read the bafang and battery threads. I have read some/many of them now; but, there are a whole lot of pages in some of them!

I'll give updates to my progress when I can...
I guess right now I should mount the bottle batteries on both sides of my rear rack so they look like power nacelles! :)

brakestad   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Dec 22 2014 3:39pm

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by brakestad » Dec 22 2014 4:28pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my Bafang 250w kit with the C961 display.

The power comes and goes without any error message in the display. It worked fine for a couple of weeks before suddenly the power was gone and I got an error code 07 which is said to be over voltage protection. Then the power came and went for a while until it was permanently gone. After a week it started to work again. Now it mostly works but it happens that the power is lost for a while, but there isn't any error codes in the display.

I have tried with another battery so I have ruled out the battery. Any other that have similar problems? Could it be the wiring to the battery? I haven’t connected the brakes, could that lead to this?

Thanks
Bafang Mid Drive BBS01 36V 250w 1408067115

User avatar
KINNINVIEKID   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 353
Joined: Jul 14 2014 4:49pm
Location: Teesdale,England

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by KINNINVIEKID » Dec 22 2014 5:42pm

Doesn't matter about the brake wires not being used.
Sounds like a problem in your wiring.
Time to get the multimeter out...
BBSHD on 2017 Marin Muirwoods
BBS02 on Cannondale Trail 6
Dillenger 1000 watt front wheel kit on Trax TFS1 MTB.
250 watt chinese scooter!
Cyclamatic Power Plus 250 watt road bike.

User avatar
tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4103
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by tomjasz » Dec 23 2014 2:29am

brakestad wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my Bafang 250w kit with the C961 display.

The power comes and goes without any error message in the display. It worked fine for a couple of weeks before suddenly the power was gone and I got an error code 07 which is said to be over voltage protection. Then the power came and went for a while until it was permanently gone. After a week it started to work again. Now it mostly works but it happens that the power is lost for a while, but there isn't any error codes in the display.

I have tried with another battery so I have ruled out the battery. Any other that have similar problems? Could it be the wiring to the battery? I haven’t connected the brakes, could that lead to this?

Thanks
7 could be motor hall sensor with the C961, by my version of the manual.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... de#p958989
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

brakestad   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Dec 22 2014 3:39pm

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by brakestad » Dec 23 2014 7:27am

Thanks for the input.

In my case the throttle doesn't work either when it stops, so then I assume it can’t be the motor hall sensor. Or is that a wrong assumption?

To investigate the wiring I guess I need to wait until it doesn't work? Or can can I get some information from a working system as well.

Some additional information:
Type: BBS01 36V 250w 1408067115

When the power is gone everything looks normal on the display, battery full, no error codes etc. The throttle doesn’t work either.
Bafang Mid Drive BBS01 36V 250w 1408067115

User avatar
Aushiker   100 W

100 W
Posts: 170
Joined: Mar 08 2014 8:47am

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Aushiker » Dec 23 2014 7:53am

Mark-az wrote:Of course the 2nd unit, after installation on my SWMBO's bike yesterday, did not work as expected.
After installation and making the battery connections, and lots of zip ties, I pushed the power button to get into the password protected area and the rear wheel immediately spun, very disconcerting. The display stayed blank. I then, foolishly I think now, took the bike out and rode it up and down the block. Pedal assist was evident.
I turned be battery off and on a couple of times hoping there would be something to see on the display, no joy.
Today nothing happens when I pedal.
Based on my own experiences and what I learnt so far, I would:

(1) Check any fuses at the battery level;
(2) Check the output voltage from the battery. If okay
(3) Check each connection for correct voltage on the input side AND the output side.

I suspect you have either a blown fuse or a voltage drop at one of your connectors.

Andrew

CdnE90   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jan 19 2014 11:00am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by CdnE90 » Dec 24 2014 3:50pm

I'm getting the Err 21 on my display (BBS02, 750W), which is according to the manual, is a "speed sensor abnormality". The motor still works, just doesn't show speed and can't change the PAS setting once on the move. This was becoming annoying, so I do the following to remedy:

1. Check to make sure the sensor hasn't moved, and even moved it closer to the magnet on the rim. (still get err 21)
2. Check to make sure the magnet isn't de-magnetized - unlikely, but check anyway. (still get err)
3. Get a replacement sensor, wait forever and pay arm-and-leg for shipping, install it. (still get err)
4. Unclip the sensor wire from the bike frame (was zip-tied on) to check for damage to the wires that could cause shorting. Found nothing.

However.... I did discover that the motor had worked it's way loose in the BB, and was swivelling 10-15 degrees. This was putting strain on the three wires coming out of the main motor housing (battery, control, speed sensor). So now I'm thinking the sensor wires have been pulled out of the controller. I remove the motor, unscrew the cover, and find everything is covered in grey silicone. Can't see anything without removing it, and might cause more problems in the process.

Before I start digging around in the silicone covered controller, has anyone had a similar experience? Is there another likely problem? I might try cutting the existing sensor wires at the motor and try some new ones to see if the wires are the issue.

User avatar
mushymelon   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 300
Joined: Mar 28 2010 3:46am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by mushymelon » Dec 26 2014 12:24am

CdnE90 wrote: Before I start digging around in the silicone covered controller, has anyone had a similar experience? Is there another likely problem? I might try cutting the existing sensor wires at the motor and try some new ones to see if the wires are the issue.
Use a multimeter and check continuity between the pas sensor plug inside the motor and at the wheel first.

CdnE90   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jan 19 2014 11:00am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by CdnE90 » Dec 26 2014 9:24am

Which is the pas sensor plug?

astmacca   100 W

100 W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sep 10 2014 6:32am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by astmacca » Dec 26 2014 10:53am

You could have a look at this thread. He tracked down an error 21 issue.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=65281
Ian. LabTech for Plant and Marine stuff in Perth W.A.

Bafang 500W/48v on old Apollo MTB.

User avatar
mushymelon   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 300
Joined: Mar 28 2010 3:46am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by mushymelon » Dec 28 2014 1:06pm

CdnE90 wrote:Which is the pas sensor plug?
This one
2014-04-09060350_zps1b777312.jpg

CdnE90   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jan 19 2014 11:00am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by CdnE90 » Dec 28 2014 4:54pm

So... update.

I checked continuity between the plug and the wheel sensor. Nothing. So, at this point, it's either the wire has a break in it, or the wire is disconnected from the controller card. I cut the wire a couple of inches from the main motor body (what do I have to lose?) and checked continuity. All good, no breaks. That means there is something broken between the PAS plug and wheel sensor wire.

I take the controller off, and the black wire within the wheel sensor wire bundle slides out freely in my hand. Well, at least I know what the problem is. I dig down through the potting to discover both the red and black are disconnected (can't guarantee that I didn't pull the red off in my digging). Anyway, now I'm stuck trying to figure out which wire goes where. I've attached a zoomed-in picture here. You can see the white wire is still attached, and I think the black wire goes to ground and the red wire goes to the (+) marked spot.
BBS Controller.jpg
BBS Controller.jpg (165.09 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
:?:

User avatar
mushymelon   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 300
Joined: Mar 28 2010 3:46am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by mushymelon » Dec 28 2014 10:19pm

I have a bare controller ill go take some pics
brb

User avatar
mushymelon   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 300
Joined: Mar 28 2010 3:46am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by mushymelon » Dec 28 2014 11:14pm

looks like I have a diffent board 9fet 750w

wiring is probably the same.
20141228_223729.jpg

astmacca   100 W

100 W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sep 10 2014 6:32am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by astmacca » Dec 29 2014 6:28am

Some pics of an unpotted controller on this thread that may be of use??

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =2&t=62983
Ian. LabTech for Plant and Marine stuff in Perth W.A.

Bafang 500W/48v on old Apollo MTB.

User avatar
Arvicola Terrestris   100 W

100 W
Posts: 109
Joined: Apr 26 2014 5:01pm
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark

Re: Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Post by Arvicola Terrestris » Dec 29 2014 1:57pm

pompeimtb wrote:hi

crankset broken in my bafang... where i can buy pars crank Right and left?
I have made a separate thread about the bottom bracket and crank on the BBSxx, if anybody has found a repair kit i would like to know more about it.

Everybody is welcome to the thread, especially if you have good knowledge about Thrust ball bearings, which we right now are trying to identify.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=65711

/philip
Christiania cargo trike, Bafang bbs02 750W, 48v, 16s2p LiFePO4 30Ah, 50kg
Grace mxII Urban S, 2. gen. Bosch 350W, 36v, Bosch Powerpack 400 11Ah, 23kg
Trek T420+, BionX PL250 HT, 250W, SRAM 3 speed IGH, 36v LiMn 9,6Ah, 20kg

U.S. Costomary Unit = SI Equivalent:
Length: in. = 25.40mm - ft = 0.3048m - mi = 1.609km
Mass: oz = 28.35g - lb = 0.4536kg
Pressure: psi = 6.895kPa (MPa = N/mm^2)
Velocity: mph = 1.609km/h
Volume: gal = 3.785l

Post Reply