Alright finally had some time off of work to get the bike slapped together enough to test it out. I drilled the LCD monitor plate with a 3/8" steel drill bit in 3 spots and mounted the BHT motor. I have a new chain but decided to install the old one since it's still nice and matches the original sprockets I'm using. After cutting the chain down to length with a Dremel tool, i installed it then bolted the motor down. I temp mounted the Lyen controller to the back of the seat until I get a rack to mount it on. The motor is fast and fairly loud compared to a hub as you would expect. But I am having a little low speed/start-up cogging. The motor doesn't seem to like to start going from a stall/stand-still...not sure what is going on with that.
Bike outside for a test-ride today
New chain vs. old
I wanted to get rid of the steel Voloci fork...It was holding me back. I went ahead and ordered a 20MM DMRBikes front disc hub and prepared to go to town on building it into one of the 17" SS moped rim I have. First thing I ran into which Stevil warned me about, was the Spokes i have are larger than the holes in the DMR hub. I quickly busted out the M12 and drilled them out.
Old stock hub removed from the rim
Lacing is not my specialty, but I'm not scared to get my hands dirty. First thing that scared me was that I've never laced this type of pattern before. Luckily i had just bought another set of wheels from a moped vendor and i had a spare to look at and help me picture how things needed to go. This didn't stop me from messing it up TWICE..but I got the hang of it.
New spare wheel set
After finally getting the wheel laced to the new DMR hub, i got a chance to put on my 2004 Marzzochi Super T pro forks with a DK bikes stem and Redline bars.
DMRBikes hub outside
I like the look so much better now. But anyway back to the story. When I slid the thru axle thru the newly laced wheel i was so disappointed to see that the wheel wasn't even close to being centered on the bike..and this is after i spent an hour fiddling with it and spinning it by hand checking the true. But again i did not panic, I grabbed a chair flipped the bike upside down and began dishing the wheel slowly until it was perfect, half turn at a time. This may have taken another entire hour. But I am so happy with the results its not even funny.
Now that the bike is starting to take shape, and now that I'm getting the ebike itch. I decided it was a good idea to install some brakes. I went down to my LBS to get a star nut and a rear brake cable while my 20s 6ah pack was balancing. He hand me a star nut and I say "do you have a fork i can size it up with, it looks too big" He says "i checked its right" only for me to get home and the star nut be too large.. I knew it!! anyway I moved onto installing the brake cables instead. Stopping is a good thing!
I have a pretty awesome 12V LED flood lamp from my work that I am planning to use as a headlight.
After struggling with a few trips around the block, I notice that i need to get my 4th motor mount installed. The chain keeps tightening itself after a mile or two of riding as you can notice its pretty tight in this picture.
I took the motor off and filed the holes down and remounted the motor firmly only to have the same problems arise. That is all for now