Got around to finally building my Greenworks lithium pack, I put it off for so long and it ended up being fairly easy to throw together. Here are a few pictures of the process before I started to cover things up and take it on a test ride.
First remove the black sticky foam from each pack, then remove all of the original wiring with a soldering iron and cut off any overhanging nickel tabs with scissors
Once that is done you need to snip off a few plastic molding edges and then they fit together pretty nice
Both packs together in their formations tapes with Scotch hi-tensile tape
Because the sticky adhesive foam left awful residue on the nickel terminals, i had to carefully clean just the spots i need to solder to get a good bond. Goo gone works great, but it is oil based so you want to be very careful. After removing the residue i washed my hands and wiped the metal down with Windex for its drying properties.
This is a terminal that needs to be cleaned
And this is what it looks like complete, now i can lightly sand and tin these terminals with solder
Tinning my wires and getting prepared, using turning 12awg/10awg for main leads
The next pictures do not really need much explanation
Positive in place
Negative as well
One down, one to go
Starting the balance leads, i use 5s Jst extensions from Hobbyking because it is way easier
I use 1x extension to extend across the packs, then one more to actually keep on the end of the packs
Need to tame the wiring mess!
Lightly tape spots that concern me with shorting potentials, i will better address this later on
Starting to zip tie the wiring lightly
Balance leads on pack #2
Tinning 10awg you must be quick, this wire soaks up heat fast!
End result I'm fairly happy with since this took no longer than 4 hours to do, that's a guess on the long side too
Ive since put one charge and one light discharge on them. Maybe i can get out on the bike tomorrow!