LightningRods on a Giant Anthem - t0me

t0me

100 W
My LightningRods build.

Bike: Giant Anthem 2010 medium
Battery: Headway 40152 Cells (5C discharge 2000 cycles) 16S1P 48v 15Ah, 16S 50-100A BMS, 8A charger
Motor: LightningRods 1.0? Pre-order/Kickstarter/Early adopter/Beta tester ;)
Controller: Lyen 124110 12FET
Display: CA3

Lovely bike the Giant Anthem, I estimate the whole bike is 31kg all up (likely will be 32kg when complete).
I had a few little trials with the wiring which are now sorted (pretty much, probably) :)

Still to do:
Phone charger and mount
Lights
Tune rear derailleur
Re-mount secondary reduction chain guard
Find somewhere for a pump

Pictures!

The Starting bike
AGiantAnthem_zps3084b580.jpg

Mocking up the battery
BBatteryplan1_zps82f4bcb4.jpg

CBatteryplan2_zps79dabac5.jpg

Building the battery
DBuildbattery1_zps38aac521.jpg

Modify the frame (cutting lugs off) so the triangle is as clear as possible
ECutlugsoffAnthem_zpsd254cbc6.jpg

Assembling the bits
FAssemblethecomponents_zpsf309b823.jpg

GAndLRskit_zps923292aa.jpg

Rebuilding the battery (bottom part) as it didn't fit with the motor well
HRebuildthebattery1_zpsc9ae7efc.jpg

IRebuildthebattery2_zps43ec4796.jpg

Metal frame (aluminium) to protect and support the battery
JMakemetalframeforbattery1_zps59235efc.jpg

KMakemetalframeforbattery2_zps7035be9d.jpg

Mockup the side covers
LMockupcovers_zps0308dd10.jpg

Route all the cabling neatly
MRoutethecablingandmakecovermounts_zpsbfb70ee8.jpg

Ready to ride!
NReadytoride1_zpsa0f4123a.jpg

OReadytoride2_zps7a4c19b1.jpg

PReadytoride3_zps71db9834.jpg

Next stage in its development
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=67014&p=1012077#p1012077

nicely done, as for the phone charger i believe ca are now currently selling an adapter which directly provides conversion from up to 84v to a usb plug.

Nice build!
Looks like the front tire might hit that lower battery when the front suspension fully compresses though, from the pics, be careful!

Very nicely done! I like the decent triangle on that frame, too. I really like how you mounted a few cells under the downtube, that is a rarely-used area, and...I think more builds should make good use of that space too...

I gave the front end a real good compressing and it didn't hit, so likely it'll be ok except under the most extreme circumstances.
The anthem is a trail and path oriented bike so only 100mm travel. But yeah, that's why I figured I'd better make a metal shield for the battery :)

I added some bits and bobs to the top cover and it started to get a bit crowded and messy. So I rebuilt the cover, made a dash that stays on the bike.
That unit has a 7.4v output for my lights, and a usb port for whatever. The IEC port with a cover is the charger input.

That chloroplast cover is superb. Can you go into more detail about it? How are you keeping the cover on the bike without it flying off @40mph & do the winds make it rattle?

chloroplast? I know it as coreflute.
At the front, a bolt each side (into nutserts on brackets attached to the aluminium battery shield on the lower part of the battery pack) and at the back, an elastic strap that goes from one side to a hook on the other side of the cover.
Super light.

The console is aluminium, 2mm plate folded up.

So far, not much testing, but the previous one didn't rattle or come off, and this one is a lot more solidly mounted so won't be a problem :)
I've got some carbon fibre vinyl coming, was going to wrap it in that, but I'm liking the black for now.

Back