drive change cyclone kit

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
k-harvey   100 W

100 W

drive change cyclone kit

Post by k-harvey » Mar 20 2015 1:23pm

Just did a few test drives of my cyclone 24v ext controller (stuck to 24 seeing i had these good batteries left over from the 500w that burnt controller)
This bike i put the drive chain ring from motor inside (48t) & peddle one outside 52, I was surprised with the better performance with the motor being able to rev higher . now that we don't live on a big hill (Aussies would call it a mountain) & rarely did I use low gear (11 at back 48 front) I was quite often on level ground with my legs not being able to peddle fast enough, even had a road bike pass me ---enough of that.
This goes realy well & I think I;ll have to make the Nuvinci (1 wheel kit) into a 3 wheel kit & do the same, its 36v.(will try nuvinci smaller at back first) this new ext controller (narrower than headline & being narrower easy to fit) though did cut out but i was really working it.
The drive to motor on the inside for when testing & chain coming of was easy to resemble & a bit further in, so I wont be cutting off so many shoe laces -----Met a guy whose got cyclone 3 wheel kit 500w ( I bought it for him) who was telling me laughing about having to cut his whole trouser leg off after being caught. & don't any one say we should use that sprocket cover ya then need a 10mm spanner if grass etc takes off chain. A stick took off that cover once -straightened it out.

avandalen   10 W

10 W

Re: drive change cyclone kit

Post by avandalen » Mar 21 2015 5:58am

Hi K Harvey,

I want to calculate the efficiency of the Cyclone motor and gearbox because there is no accurate data available. If you have the Cyclone motor, can you measure the winding resistance and the motor constant V/rpm for me?

See here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... A#p1019143

Kind regards

Albert

k-harvey   100 W

100 W

Re: drive change cyclone kit

Post by k-harvey » Mar 22 2015 1:58am

Hi no, i'm too ignorant about the electrics even have 3 motors in the hands of guys making ext controllers for them.+
this would be more their field . With the 500w ones I've had I've always thought when on the flat going hard at it that the motor should be revving higher & of course my legs can't pedal any faster. It sure gets to 40k an hr on the flat quick. i have 1 other 500w int controller bike to compare with but its hard to know whether this 24v ext controller is 480w or 650 as rated by cyclone.
years ago i went to 24v ext controller (headline) & it was definitely less power than the 500w with swapping manpower on our urban mountain.So upgraded it to 36v with considerable increase in power..