This weekend was a major milestone for the trike: 200 miles with nothing more than a couple of small glitches and some mechanical tweaks. The Cyclone seems to be holding well at 6.5 kW so I have no complains. The chain arrangement in the front is working well too... I was worried that running two chains so close could be a problem, but the tensioner setup really works well.
So, in order to ensure things were going wll I did a major teardown, mostly to check for issues and wear, all inside and out; I also wanted to check the battery placement to see if things moved and whatnot, and for any potential damage anywhere. Nothing so far.
I also took the time to trim and paint the motor mounting brackets. So the motor mount is now in an state that I would considered finished. Haven't had any motor flex to date so that work for me; not even at 6.5 kW.
I also ended up drilling a bolt right through the boom and tightened it to stun so the boom flex is now almost gone; some still there, but that was expected since 6.5 kW is no slouch.
The Cyclone throttle ignition key now controls the entire trike like a real car: If you turn the ignition ON, everything powers up, including Cycle Analyst and the HOTAS controls. The alarm remains always ON regardless of ignition switch state and has the ability to cut-off ignition from the remote.
I've also changed the way the DB25 plug is accessed so now it won't get wet when it rains. Charging the packs on this guy is fairly easy considering you have so many packs inside. I've gotten 72 miles on a charge so I am happy about that.
This weekend also marked the end of the SLX era for me; an era that started with my Cyclone eBike back in November 2015. After careful consideration I decided to run Shimano XT 10-speed Dynasys shifters with instant release and multi-release; this has convinced me beyond any doubt that you really get what you pay for in terms of cycling groupset stuff. The instant release and multi-release are godsends: no more having to shift twice to get the thing going fast... now I can shift the gears like if I was running 5 speed sequential race car transmission (rather than a 10 speed and having to double click on every upshift) and that allows for a significantly quicker trike.
I've replaced the rear tire with a slightly wider Schwalbe Marathon. The Hemisphere brand tire I was running wasn't as nice on the wet compared to my front smaller 20" Marathons so I decided to change those.
I also added a ziptie to hold the rear upper chainguide tube so it doesn't rub the wheel under hard cornering; yes, hard cornering; I've already taken some seriously tight turns on this guy at high speed, and the grip seems infinite.... maybe a tad of understeer if you really push it, but no oversteer to date which is good. So the trike handling came out really nice. Without the hard cases the trike weight distribution is close to 80 20, where 80% of the weight (including rider) is sitting over the front wheels so the trike is nearly impossible to flip under normal driving conditions, locking the rear wheel might still yield some scary moments tho, so the rear brake is better left alone, or used sparingly for long descents as a drag brake... or as a parking brake.