new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
DingusMcGee
1 kW
1 kW

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by DingusMcGee » Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm

deleted
Last edited by DingusMcGee on Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DingusMcGee
1 kW
1 kW

Post by DingusMcGee » Feb 07, 2018 8:47 pm

GIGATT,

I have looked at the pictures of the bent motor frame mounts posted above. It looks like a gear clamp around where I suggest would give some structural triangulation for the frame size 68 -83mm BB width. -- think rigidity to lateral movement.

Let me know how this fix goes.

jonnydrive
10 W
10 W

Post by jonnydrive » Feb 09, 2018 2:24 am

Hi guys,
what do you think about this engine? it is arrived already damaged (the shaft is slighty bended)

http://www.cerberotech.com/Fatbike/shaft_bended.mp4

will the chain slip at the first ride?

Someone has successfull convince Cyclone to replace the engine in warranty?

Skaiwerd
10 W
10 W

Post by Skaiwerd » Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm

jonnydrive wrote:
Feb 09, 2018 2:24 am
Hi guys,
what do you think about this engine? it is arrived already damaged (the shaft is slighty bended)

http://www.cerberotech.com/Fatbike/shaft_bended.mp4

will the chain slip at the first ride?

Someone has successfull convince Cyclone to replace the engine in warranty?
No. And I wouldn’t want to. That looks like it was dropped on a concrete floor and it hit right on the edge of the freewheel. Where did you purchase this from? Did the box it arrived in look damaged? That really doesn’t look fixable or usable to me. Time for you to return it to where you purchased it for a replacement, or file a claim with the shipping company.

jonnydrive
10 W
10 W

Post by jonnydrive » Feb 12, 2018 1:43 am

thanks Skaiwerd,
I bought it from Turbobikekit, the “europe reseller” to avoid customs problems.They also claims that their products have European Warranty ...but as matter of facts it isnt a real reseller (like Lunacycle), they only tooks orders and forward to Cyclone in Taiwan.
Bottom line: the pacage was sent directly from Taiwan, without the right documentation so the italian customs block tha packager for about 20 days :oops: :oops:

Afther pay duties and taxes I received a package that was apparently intact but onece opened I foud the surprise :oops: :oops: :oops:

I tried to contact Turbobike unsuccessfully, no replies at all. I can’t suggest this seller to anyone.
Thereby I contacted direcly Cyclone tw, they have a very fast reply, they proposed to sent to me for free the gerarbox and the freewheel as a replacement part, but I must sustain other 50$ of shipping costs (and probably related customs taxes).

Without a real local reseller I think is the best I can be obtained.

DingusMcGee
1 kW
1 kW

Re: Ajustments to motor frame when no chain tensioner is used

Post by DingusMcGee » Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm

IMG_6957.JPG
Good chainline tension by adjustment
IMG_6957.JPG (204.29 KiB) Viewed 84 times

The early c-3000 motor frame can be readily modified to adjust for chain slack or tenson. These adjustments work when gear clamps are used to stabilize the motor frame. In the above photo the 15/48 cog chain setup was a little tight even though the pin was pressed with the chain on the cogs.

To get a little chain slack put smaller cylindrical spacers on the upper thru bolt on both ends. Chisel off the cooling fin on the left side that's prevents the spacers from resting on the motor case.
IMG_6960.JPG
Aluminum hinge can be made longer to take up chain slack
IMG_6960.JPG (152.55 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_6961.JPG
A tiny gear clamp is added to over spacer ,to take up the last bit of slack. Thickness is about0.030" or 3/4 mm.
IMG_6961.JPG (143.39 KiB) Viewed 84 times

To tighten a loose chain you will have make a hinge plate bigger than the OEM hinge which has the centers separed by 21mm. The material is about 0.44 in. Thick. This bigger hinge plate is to be swapped into place on the bottom hinge. This bigger plate will lengthen the distance from the bb axel to the motor axel. The distance to increase the hinge hole spacing is about 1/2 the length the chain is too long. When making this change you will likely need to swap out the barrel spacers on the thru bolt ends.
IMG_6962.JPG
Spacers opposite drive side
IMG_6962.JPG (114.3 KiB) Viewed 84 times

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 17, 2018 2:38 am

I repaired two more 3000W motors today that had bad Hall sensors, one with a rotten rear bearing as well. Got them running as good as new. I opened one more short stack motor that was burned so badly it was like a stinky dusty ashtray in there-- so no saving that one. Even the bearings were burned.

Recent Cyclone 3kW motors use a unit PCB with all three Halls mounted on it, but all three of the ones I serviced today were the earlier type with separately installed sensors. I had to cut the sensors off of replacement boards and solder them into the old wiring.

Another difference between recent motors and older ones is the phase wiring color assignments. All three of the phase wires must be color mismatched on a new controller to make it work correctly.

These motors may not be as completely reliable as I'd prefer, but they are pretty straightforward to service, and I appreciate that.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.