new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
User avatar
Badgermilk   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 20 2019 10:33am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Badgermilk » Feb 20 2019 2:13pm

Has anyone used collar clamps to mount a cyclone directly to the down tube? I saw a guy on YouTube weld some clamps to work with the cyclone, but he never posted any follow-up on how well they worked. I think he used aluminum. I bought some steel ones and had them welded up, and they seem to be working really well. The motor has zero lateral movement, and I don't need a chain tensioner. Here are a few pictures. Is there something I need to be worried about with this setup?
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.png
Webp.net-resizeimage.png (137.7 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 20 2019 6:47pm

What style of left side mount do you have?

I've considered shaft collars bit worry about the integrity of my aluminum frame.

User avatar
Badgermilk   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 20 2019 10:33am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Badgermilk » Feb 20 2019 11:05pm

"Left side". I'm only using 2 shaft collars to mount it (other one is hidden behind sprockets). Yeah, the integrity of the aluminum was a concern of mine, but I didn't need to apply a lot of torque for the shaft collars to hold tight in place. They are super grippy (I added some flat black vinyl wrap around tube so it's not metal on metal). I wonder what the safe clamp pressure is on 1.77" aluminum bike tubing. The clamps were advertised as 1.75" if anyone is interested. So far, they are working flawlessly. The stainless steel coupling nuts fit perfectly inside the gap from the gear cover to the interior bolt holes. I initially tried using the factory mounts, and they had so much flex and a shitty chain tensioner that I set the project aside for a while and worked on my EEB. EEB sucks to pedal, so I turned it into a motorcycle. I missed pedaling, and this cyclone is amazing even with stock controller and 36v.

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 21 2019 1:02pm

That definitely is slick. I'm unsure it would be enough with my 72v setup that is going to be pushing 4kw. However as a supplimental mount I think it has a lot of promise. I was planning to use u-bolts with plenty of material to spread the loads.

As it is right now flex is causing me to toss primary chains under heavy load.

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 588
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Tommm » Feb 21 2019 7:00pm

CYC (GNG) are now selling an upgraded Cyclone 3000w. They changed some bearings, freewheel, mount, etc.. The gears might be metal too.

Some components are even shared between the X1.

https://www.gngebike.com/gng-2019-3000w

Also, since the 4000w cyclone motor is the same thing but a 30% wider stator section, they said if there is interest they will do mounts for that one too.

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 21 2019 8:26pm

I sent them a FB message to see if they'd sell a cyclone "upgrade kit" with the new mounts, tensioner etc. If it's <150 shipped I'd be tempted.

I'm not sure about the 4kw motor though. I think you'd start getting into some nasty Q-factor to clear the left side unless you built very long brackets or possibly shaved material off that crank.

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 588
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Tommm » Feb 21 2019 8:35pm

Grantmac wrote:
Feb 21 2019 8:26pm
I sent them a FB message to see if they'd sell a cyclone "upgrade kit" with the new mounts, tensioner etc. If it's <150 shipped I'd be tempted.

I'm not sure about the 4kw motor though. I think you'd start getting into some nasty Q-factor to clear the left side unless you built very long brackets or possibly shaved material off that crank.
I have the 4kw motor. Well a hailong pack won't cut it anyway because you need a big, high output battery. Compared to the 4-6kw power you will run through the motor, your legs will be useless and will be resting on the pedals like foot pegs, so it really doesn't matter. The motor itself isn't 30% longer, just the stator part (where the heatsink ribs are).

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 21 2019 8:47pm

They motor is 34mm longer overall. You can see diagrams on the cyclone website.

Personally I really dislike a very wide peddle stance. Perhaps with some custom cranks it would feel okay. More power is always desirable.

Edit: they just confirmed that upgrades would be available eventually. Waiting on cost.

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 588
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Tommm » Feb 21 2019 9:36pm

Grantmac wrote:
Feb 21 2019 8:47pm
They motor is 34mm longer overall. You can see diagrams on the cyclone website.

Personally I really dislike a very wide peddle stance. Perhaps with some custom cranks it would feel okay. More power is always desirable.

Edit: they just confirmed that upgrades would be available eventually. Waiting on cost.
Sounds great, like I said, with 1.8kwh the pegs could be as far as on a harley, doesn't change anything for me.

Curious to hear which parts they have changed, the big silver end cap part is panted differently but the shape is identical.

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 21 2019 10:26pm

Looks like the motor and gearbox are off the shelf. Everything else is upgraded.

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7961
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Chalo » Feb 22 2019 12:56am

Tommm wrote:
Feb 21 2019 8:35pm
I have the 4kw motor. Well a hailong pack won't cut it anyway because you need a big, high output battery. Compared to the 4-6kw power you will run through the motor, your legs will be useless and will be resting on the pedals like foot pegs,
Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing that's going to spoil the party for honest e-bikers.

Be ethical and license your motorcycle, or just be a dirtbag and screw things up for everybody. Your call.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 22 2019 2:26pm

I can't ride a motorcycle on bike paths so at that point I'll just burn fuel for a lot less cost and bother.

Electricglider   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 23 2018 4:13am
Location: Oslo

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Electricglider » Feb 22 2019 2:38pm

Chalo wrote:
Feb 22 2019 12:56am
Tommm wrote:
Feb 21 2019 8:35pm
I have the 4kw motor. Well a hailong pack won't cut it anyway because you need a big, high output battery. Compared to the 4-6kw power you will run through the motor, your legs will be useless and will be resting on the pedals like foot pegs,
Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing that's going to spoil the party for honest e-bikers.

Be ethical and license your motorcycle, or just be a dirtbag and screw things up for everybody. Your call.
Like 3000 or 4000 watts will make a big difference in the legal department or pedaling for that matter. We are all dirtbags here ;-)

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 588
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Tommm » Feb 22 2019 4:12pm

Electricglider wrote:
Feb 22 2019 2:38pm

Like 3000 or 4000 watts will make a big difference in the legal department or pedaling for that matter. We are all dirtbags here ;-)
These guys are missing the point. If you have a 18650 battery that can supply 4kw+, your capacity will necessarily be so big, that you will need to go VERY far before you need to pedal just to make the trip... So in reality you either clown pedal or don't pedal. To do these Q factor is irrelevant.

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 22 2018 12:43pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Grantmac » Feb 22 2019 4:21pm

Q-factor matters offroad whether you are peddling or standing. But with a moto seat a bit wider probably won't be bad. I think shorter cranks are also in my future given how high the cadence is.

CYC says in 3 weeks they'll have upgrade parts in their online store. Cost will be "reasonable", but who knows on shipping.

Electricglider   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 23 2018 4:13am
Location: Oslo

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Electricglider » Feb 22 2019 4:28pm

Tommm wrote:
Feb 22 2019 4:12pm
Electricglider wrote:
Feb 22 2019 2:38pm

Like 3000 or 4000 watts will make a big difference in the legal department or pedaling for that matter. We are all dirtbags here ;-)
These guys are missing the point. If you have a 18650 battery that can supply 4kw+, your capacity will necessarily be so big, that you will need to go VERY far before you need to pedal just to make the trip... So in reality you either clown pedal or don't pedal. To do these Q factor is irrelevant.
The point was not about range or practical use. This is a 3kw thread, not about legality.

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 588
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Tommm » Feb 22 2019 4:32pm

Electricglider wrote:
Feb 22 2019 4:28pm
Tommm wrote:
Feb 22 2019 4:12pm
Electricglider wrote:
Feb 22 2019 2:38pm

Like 3000 or 4000 watts will make a big difference in the legal department or pedaling for that matter. We are all dirtbags here ;-)
These guys are missing the point. If you have a 18650 battery that can supply 4kw+, your capacity will necessarily be so big, that you will need to go VERY far before you need to pedal just to make the trip... So in reality you either clown pedal or don't pedal. To do these Q factor is irrelevant.
The point was not about range or practical use. This is a 3kw thread, not about legality.
Also true. Register it if it's easy to do where you live, otherwise stay stealth.

User avatar
crossbreak   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2877
Joined: Aug 02 2011 11:20am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by crossbreak » Feb 28 2019 8:48am

link to the new version, maybe it is time to start a new thread to not mix things up, since thera are huge changes in the 2019 version.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1448645

Asi85   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 13 2019 4:49am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Asi85 » Mar 13 2019 5:21am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mx4Gq3 ... e=youtu.be
Cyclone 3000w issue under heavy load... Gearbox is OK! Without load evryting is fine. If i give slowly gas it's fine and i can go with full speed. Have somebody any idea what is it? Can do this hall sensor issue? Sorry for my English...
PLZ help :) !

speedyebikenoob   100 W

100 W
Posts: 183
Joined: Feb 07 2019 12:30am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by speedyebikenoob » Mar 20 2019 10:33pm

Asi85 wrote:
Mar 13 2019 5:21am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mx4Gq3 ... e=youtu.be
Cyclone 3000w issue under heavy load... Gearbox is OK! Without load evryting is fine. If i give slowly gas it's fine and i can go with full speed. Have somebody any idea what is it? Can do this hall sensor issue? Sorry for my English...
PLZ help :) !
I'm not too sure but it sounds like your one way clutch bearing needs replacing. It seems like it's slipping or something.

speedyebikenoob   100 W

100 W
Posts: 183
Joined: Feb 07 2019 12:30am

overheating motor??

Post by speedyebikenoob » Mar 20 2019 10:39pm

Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I posted separately and only got one answer, I'm hoping people here might know more. I have a mini cyclone and I'm running 2400 watts through it, 60 volt 40 amp. It's the stock cyclone controller, and I've had it shutoff during hard riding like three times. When this happens the motor is extremely hot, like hot enough that I could probably cook something on it. My issue is that even if the motor controller doesn't shut things off (which I've been using as a heat protection feature I guess) during hard riding (as in 35+ mph + hills) the motor is still very very hot, I can feel the heat radiating off of it. Is this normal for these motors? or am I going to cook my motor and burn it up eventually? I do keep my rpms high so that the motor is as efficient as possible and I never lug it or anything.

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 588
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: overheating motor??

Post by Tommm » Mar 21 2019 2:15pm

speedyebikenoob wrote:
Mar 20 2019 10:39pm
Is this normal for these motors? or am I going to cook my motor and burn it up eventually? I do keep my rpms high so that the motor is as efficient as possible and I never lug it or anything.
Normal for that size of a motor.

Yes it will burn up.

It will still cook if you are going 35mph and on hills, lugging or not. You need to switch to an easier gear and go slower with high rpm.

Those small motors aren't made for that power anyway, time for an upgrade.

speedyebikenoob   100 W

100 W
Posts: 183
Joined: Feb 07 2019 12:30am

Re: overheating motor??

Post by speedyebikenoob » Mar 21 2019 5:08pm

Tommm wrote:
Mar 21 2019 2:15pm
speedyebikenoob wrote:
Mar 20 2019 10:39pm
Is this normal for these motors? or am I going to cook my motor and burn it up eventually? I do keep my rpms high so that the motor is as efficient as possible and I never lug it or anything.
Normal for that size of a motor.

Yes it will burn up.

It will still cook if you are going 35mph and on hills, lugging or not. You need to switch to an easier gear and go slower with high rpm.

Those small motors aren't made for that power anyway, time for an upgrade.
yeah I don't actually push it that hard up mountains anymore, but I really would like to keep this motor because of how compact it is, obviously I can't have everything. Is there like a temperature at which I shouldn't be exceeding for these motors? And is relying on the motor controller to shut off everything for me when thing get hot a bad idea?

sjrides   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 15
Joined: Apr 10 2018 6:36pm

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by sjrides » Mar 24 2019 4:32am

Badgermilk wrote:
Feb 20 2019 2:13pm
Has anyone used collar clamps to mount a cyclone directly to the down tube? I saw a guy on YouTube weld some clamps to work with the cyclone, but he never posted any follow-up on how well they worked. I think he used aluminum. I bought some steel ones and had them welded up, and they seem to be working really well. The motor has zero lateral movement, and I don't need a chain tensioner. Here are a few pictures. Is there something I need to be worried about with this setup?
this looks brilliant.. super clean, no need for a BB mount or a tensioner puller. I was considering buying the Luna 3D mount for $140 shipped.. instead I just spend $16 on two clamps and I'll shoot a friend some cash to weld them up for me. :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

btw what did you weld onto the clamps that connects to the motor? it looks like you made some kind of hook or something to grab onto the bolts? I was thinking a thick tube to run the bolts through would work

DingusMcGee   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 549
Joined: Feb 23 2015 7:11am

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by DingusMcGee » Apr 06 2019 7:55am

A day ago my newest built edirtbike's motor started growling while on a hillside ride. I looked at the emotor app on my cell and it read "Hall Fault". The motor was dead but the slope was downhill to the car.

The motor on this ebike has the new water proof plug and the new motor mount bracket whose left side fastens on top of the left motor cap. This left motor plate had to be loosened to get the motor cap off. --easy job. There is a new addition inside mounted in series on the plus side wire leading to the circuit board. I suspect this white case component is a thermal sensor? Triggering at what temp? Is it a one time Temp fuse which must be replaced after one hot motor detection?

This thermal sensor had continuity so it was left in the circuit. But unless this temp sensor has a low threshold you could still overheat the motor as it was not bonded to the motor whatsoever.

The 2 circuit boards were different but similar. The one from Sick Bike Parts had slightly smaller transistors making for an easier insertion of them. Otherwise it is up and running.

The new motor mounts have been quite adequate so far -- no need for all the beefing up of the motor frame. Or are all of these complainers from the Lightning Rod Camp making false news? And trying to undermine the worth of this vast improvement? If so waste you words and time, I know what works better having had the other.

Post Reply