New 80-100 130kv + simple 2-stage reduction

Thud

1 MW
Good evening non hub sphereites.
I promised myself I would not build anything untill i finished a bike for a member here....but that pooped out last weekend.

So I am working on a lil item that was spawned a long time ago...& now will come into being as a platform for the now available again 80-100 out runner motors.
the title says it all & you are prolly sick of my typing so here are the photo's
View attachment 3
SAM_0157.JPG

This is the newest evolution of the motor:
gone is the skirt bearing & the questionable utility it provided....we are way more bicycle friendly out of the box now.
the venting is much more open & the end bell is flat. Making fan mounting much simpler & more effective

Have you noticed my salvaged gt2 pulley? it has a 17t #25 sproket pressed into it & it accepts ball bearings to let it free spin on the shaft...the eccentric allows for proper setting of tension on the #25 secondary reduction.

On this set up the primary redux = 2.66-1 x 2nd stage 1.76-1 for a total of 4.68-1
final drive is a direct salute to Miles & his elegant Moulton..but with a 13t feeding the 30t large cog on my 7 speed freewheel for another 2.3-1 reduction.....total reduction from the motor to the wheel= 10.76-1
132kv @ 44.4v nom will be a freewheel speed of 42mph. real world expectation will be 33mph (80%)
We will freewheel the crank so I don't have to pedal continuously.

more eye candy...the parts are rough of the bench they will get the usual love & attention.
SAM_0161.JPG
SAM_0158.JPG

list of things to do:
fab the mount for external halls @ 60deg. (old mount don't fit new larger vents)
tune it up to one of my 12fet controllers
bolt it onto my specilized rock hopper from 86'
get jollies.
I will run this motor "out of the box-stock" with the exception of the sensored control. just to see what she does.

Next: a huge thanks to Eric (aka, green machine-ebike magazine, Luna Cycles) for making these awesome motors available again.
my main goal for this is to show some really compact drives with reduction suitable for the motors available...that will bolt onto any bike (almost).
here is the link to Luna:
http://lunacycle.com/c80100-kv130-high-power-brushless-rc-motor/

Any questions?
edit-reloaded pictures after maintiance....

This to be one of these/nextgen, etc., or something new? (The entire thread is fascinating.) http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8644&hilit=thud+2+speed&start=175#p199318

So happy to see a new 80-100 emerge. And what a nice looking reduction you have going.

Dauntless said:
This to be one of these/nextgen, etc., or something new?

Nothing so complicated as a 2 speed. Just an evolved 2 stage rc reduction. I absolutly hate the giant flywheel looking BIG cog sitting on most rc reductions....harking back to the days of the steam tractor. We can do better in the design.
I am as guilty as any one...but I want to get the package smaller, & under covers for my protection & the units.

Simple enough for any one to knock off in a weekend.
I have a 3 stage single speed comming that makes this one look like a hulk.

Thanks for posting this thud. I've got a 130kv stock 80/100 which I bought a while back and didn't get to using or abusing.

Hi , I didn't get it .. How did you connect the motor shaft to the sprocket ?
did you make a shaft key ????

The motor shaft/drive pulley is secured with a "dimple" drilled into the shaft for the set screw to land in.

The 1st stage pulley & 2nd stage sprocket is a press fit.

the 2nd stage sprocket will be a press fit also. (I hate screws coming loose & I have a press :lol: )

I been meaning to get this units mounted to the bike the last 2 weeks....but my time is rarely my own these days.

Any progress on this build? How/where are you adding the sensors? Also curious if you could show some precise measurements of the motor. Luna has pics of it next to the orange 80100 and it looks quite a bit shorter but I would love to see some real numbers. Also watching closely to see how it gets along with the 12Fet. Cool build!

Yes, a little,
I have a new bike I am adapting this too & since this is a prototype I am still flushing out the fine details....like making the higher wear parts replaceable/serviceable.

the bike:Mongoose 26" bmx I picked up for 100 bones...
dirt jumper.jpg
the re-layed out pattern for the side plate
SAM_0236.JPG

new compound pulley/sprocket combo-now re-build able:
SAM_0252.JPG
SAM_0250.JPG

the side plates are roughed out & bored for bearings have the tube clamps bored....just need to mill the motor mount screw pockets & fab the plate spacers, broach the free wheel adapter, final mock up....then clean it all up & install it.
I also built a new set of wheels for it (had the parts on the shelf) this will let me mount a sprocket to the disc mount on the rear (keeping the v-brake) & adding an e-bay fork & a front disc brake (mechanical)

I'll update with photo's in another couple nights.....the Bike trail north of me just had the last snow melt away , my normal riding area is under 2 feet of water prolly till the end of may.
Haven't had much time or motivation to get this project finished.

Back