BBS02 PAS....torque or rotation detection + Display question

NeilP

1 GW
How does PAS work with the BBS02?system?
Is it torque or just crank movement?
Trying to work out how gear changing with the derailleur works.
You need to change gear with pedals moving but under low load. But if the BBS02 system is running , because you are pedalling, it is going to potentially high load if going up hill.
How does this all work?

Also, the displsy unitd
Paul (Cell man) has a C 965 displsy unit, apparently with either 3 or 5 button control pad.
Also see there is. 961 version and also some other type.

Anyone care to explain the differences/advantagex? R

How does PAS work with the BBS02?system?
Is it torque or just crank movement?

Crank movement

You need to change gear with pedals moving but under low load. But if the BBS02 system is running , because you are pedalling, it is going to potentially high load if going up hill.

Correct - shift at high cadence when the power tapers off or tap the brake when shifting. A moving the throttle a little also works as it overides the pas.

How does this all work?

Gear shifting isn't done perfectly on a BBS systems, but it works acceptably.

Great, thanks

I am a bit disspointed to hear it is only cadence and not torque though.

Have the extra brake button ordered , so will be able to hit that .

The throttle idea is interesting, but again a little dissspointing to hear that power drops out if you switch from PAS to throttle.

I guess I was expecting too much from it all. My worst fears confirmed

Realy would be nice to see torque assist and a gear change sensor/ sender to reduce power when gear change sensed. Though a torque PAS would automagically do that I guess.

I have a question about the BBS02, too:

My BBS02 is labeled 500W and configured to run with a 36V battery. Works fine so far. Is it possible to run this motor version with a 48V battery and its current display (after reprogramming the controller) or do I need a complete new hardware controller?

Thanks!

I have not bought one yet ( for a friend) but from my discussion with Paul at EM3EV, they are exactly the same hardware. Programming is the only difference.
Only difference between 500 W and 750W is the current limit, 18 amps or 25amps.

What is the max current yours draws and what is the max voltage hot off the charger of the battery pack ?

It seems the figures don't figure correctly
25 amp @ 48 volt is 1125 watt.
Pauls 50 volt battery pack is a nominal 50, since the supplied charger is 58.8 volts. So can assume the pack is 58 volts Hot of Charge, which is 1450 Watt.
These wattsge figures the units are labelled as all seem a bit 'odd'. Maybe they are just sold with those 'labels" for legal reasons.

seppderdepp said:
I have a question about the BBS02, too:

My BBS02 is labeled 500W and configured to run with a 36V battery. Works fine so far. Is it possible to run this motor version with a 48V battery and its current display (after reprogramming the controller) or do I need a complete new hardware controller?

Thanks!
NO
The 36 volt motor has different HVC and LVC limits and cant be changed by programming.

NeilP said:
How does this all work?

Also, the displsy unitd
Paul (Cell man) has a C 965 displsy unit, apparently with either 3 or 5 button control pad.
Also see there is. 961 version and also some other type.

Anyone care to explain the differences/advantagex? R

Most of the time when I change gear on my BBS02 I just stop pedalling for a second,change gear,and then pedal again,that cuts the motors power for a split second.
I do have the button but that takes a couple of secs to reconnect so only use that if changing a couple of gears at a time.

I prefer the C961 display as its the smallest so less likely to get damaged in a fall and it also gives the option of 9 PAS levels.

The seperate buttons mean you can put them by your handgrip and not have to leave go of the handlebar to use them,very handy if offroad.

The wattmeter on the other displays only shows power drawn at that instant so is a waste of time.

Best to fit an inline wattmeter then you can keep track of exactly how much battery you have left.

I really don't get what all the fuss is about with respect to tapping the brake or stop pedaling for a second to shift, has none of those many (not just this post BTW) people who complain about this very minor thing ever drove a standard shift car, motorcycle ? Do they not let off the gas, or use a clutch ? Maybe that's why they need an E-bike, car transmissions got to costly to replace.

A bicycle is a simple machine, or supposed to be, an E-bike already has too many wires, shift sensor wire = more junk.

Certainly every one would have their own preferences, but not having torque sensing is also a non issue for me, would hardly call it disappointing, and actually prefer cadence only as I can just pretend to be pedaling, and add as much or as little effort as I choose.

With regard to tapping the brake lever to disengage the drive for shifting, it is even easier to to just backpedal a tiny bit. This works instantly as opposed to the several seconds it takes for the motor to stop if you just stopping pedaling. When you are ready to shift, just backpedal an inch or so and then pedal forward easily as you hit the shift lever or crank the twister. You'll have a couple of seconds before the motor kicks back in. No problem at all. And when up-shifting, you don't even need to bother unless you are putting out serious torque. Just shift away (assuming you have a quality cassette, some cheepo 7 speeds may complain.) Down-shifting (going to a larger cog) is where you have to baby things.

rick (nova scotia) said:
I really don't get what all the fuss is about with respect to tapping the brake or stop pedaling for a second to shift, has none of those many (not just this post BTW) people who complain about this very minor thing ever drove a standard shift car, motorcycle ? Do they not let off the gas, or use a clutch ? Maybe that's why they need an E-bike, car transmissions got to costly to replace.
Yep, I tap the brake lever at exactly the same time as shifting a gear or two and the shifting is seamless. If you get it right, the delay is minimal. Just takes a few runs out to master :wink:

Back