Will I have any problem fitting a BBS02 onto this bike?

SonNguyen04

10 µW
Last week I put a BBS02 into a Giant ATX 2. The unit slid in perfectly and installation was very easy. I am planning to buy this bike for my wife. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fantom29comp-tcs-xvi.htm My only concern is if the BBS02 will fit into the bottom bracket. I have heard stories about people buying a reamer kit to open up the bottom bracket. I really dont want to do that. Does ES foresee any problems I might encounter with this set up? Also the reason I am getting it off of BD and not a LBS is because the most important thing to my wife is bike color. She wants a white one. I have checked all the LBS and the white bikes that they carry are either too expensive or of way lesser quality.

Frame NEW Tapered Headtubes. MOTO29HX Kinesis Engineered Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Hydroformed Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, downtube bottle mount, seat tube accessory mount
Fork Rock Shox XC30 / TK29" / 100mm / Remote Lockout 1.125" Steerer
Crankset FSA GammaDrive MegaExo, 42/32/24T ALLOY BLACK CRANK 170/175mm: 33-39/44-53CM
Bottom Bracket FSA BB-1000
Pedals VP MTB Platform 9/16" CR-MO AXLE, BLACK PP BODY, STEEL BLK CAGE
Front Derailleur SHIMANO, FD-M610, DEORE, TOP-SWING, DUAL-PULL,BAND TYPE(W/31.8MM ADAPTER)
Rear Derailleur SHIMANO, RD-M670, SLX SGS 10-SPEED TOP-NORMAL SHADOW DESIGN
Shifters SHIMANO SHIFT LEVER, SL-M610, DEORE
Cassette/Freewheel SHIMANO CASSETTE, CS-HG50-10,10-SPEED 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36T
Chain KMC X10SL NARROW CN 1/2"x11/128"x114L.W/HOLLOW PIN, REUSEABLE LINK
Hubs F/HUB GRAVITY LASER-ETCHED ALLOY DISC BLK ANOD. FRONT HUB W/RCC,W/RLCA ALLOY BLK QR, 14Gx32H:100mm
R/HUB GRAVITY LASER-ETCHED REAR BLK ANOD. CASSETTE DISCBRAKE W/RCC HUB , W/RLCA ALLOY BLK QR 14Gx32H:135MM
Spokes 14Gx64PCS STAINLESS W/14mm BRASS NIPPLE
Rims Tubeless Compatible, WTB Frequency Race i25 TCS 29" 32 hole, Disc, Black; I-Beam Construction, 4D Drilling, PV drilled
Tires WTB Bronson 29x2.2 Comp With PV Tube ,( 52/56 ) 27tpi Casing, Wire Bead
Brakes SRAM GUIDE R, HYDRAULIC DISC, POST DISC MOUNT, 180mm CL1 ROTOR, Gloss Black
Brake Levers SRAM GUIDE R
Headset ORBIT 1.5 ZS , FOR 1-1/8"/1.5" FORK STEM , Internal alloy cups, ACB 1-1/8" Upper, 1-1/8" crown race,w/Std 12.3mm top cover, W/30mm BALL RACE ( 28.6x44/55.95x30mm) (H:19.8 mm )
Handlebar RITCHEY MTN RIZER ( C:31.8mm ), ALLOY 6061 RISE H/BAR(UPSWEEP 17° , BEND 9° ) B/CENTER: 31.8mm.R/W:20/670mm. BB BLK
Stem RITCHEY STEM 4-Axis 84/6D ( C:31.8mm ) ALLOY 6061 "TIOGA-OS" A-HEAD STEM.EXT:(6°)110MM ,C/S:31.8x28.6x42mm. BB BLK
Tape/Grip WTB Dual DNA Compounds, Classic Logo Pattern, full length
Saddle WTB Speed V Sport SE
Seat Post RITCHEY 2BOLT, ALLOY BB BLK 27.2x400mm
Seat Post Clamp Superlight Aluminum (31.9x30.5) W/CR-MO ALLEN BOLT

Last week I put a BBS02 into a Giant ATX 2. The unit slid in perfectly and installation was very easy. My only concern is if the BBS02 will fit into the bottom bracket.

So you have test fitted it then? or you are unsure?

If you read the wiki, mid drive, bafang section has adequate information on fitting these.

Lurkin said:
Last week I put a BBS02 into a Giant ATX 2. The unit slid in perfectly and installation was very easy. My only concern is if the BBS02 will fit into the bottom bracket.

So you have test fitted it then? or you are unsure?

If you read the wiki, mid drive, bafang section has adequate information on fitting these.

It slid perfectly into my bike (giant atx 2). My wifes bike will probably be the bike mentioned above, but im scared to pull the trigger because I dont know of the bbs02 will fit into the bottom bracket.

The BBS01 and BBS02 kits are compatible with 68mm English thread cartridge style bottom brackets. They can also fit a 7omm Italian thread BB and 73mm English thread with some mods.

On the bike you listed it says FSA Bb-1000, so check to see if that is compatible with the above.

Fsa Bb 1000 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb-1000-gamma-drive-mega-exo-bb/rp-prod13083

You would think that contacting the supplier would be a reasonable option, I reached out to Shwinn, Mongoose, Kent, and Huffy 2 weeks ago about bottom bracket shell sizes. I have only heard back from Shwinn and this was the answer I got

"Hello Amanda,

Thank you for contacting Schwinn.

The information that I have for the High Plains bike is the bottom bracket is a model number FP-B609W. In regards to size, I am sorry but I do not have that available. I also do not have the length of the down tube available. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Amberd"

No help at all, when you google the model number the most useful thing that comes back is a Parks tool article about bottom brackets. Which I'll share here just for the hell of it. At this point I'm thinking about taking my digital caliper to walmart and convincing one of the employees to root around in the back room for bike frames for me to measure.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-standards-1

You have presented all the info needed to answer the question. Yes, it will fit. These are relatively cheap bikes, meaning they don't have the lastest "bottom bracket of the week" design. The specs say it has an FSA BB1000. A quick check of the FSA site

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/bottom-brackets-mtb/mtb-megaexo-bottom-bracket-o24-4/

says it fits a standard ISO threaded 68-73 mm bottom bracket shell. What more assurance do you need?

Now, is there an over-penetrating weld, or other obstruction in the bottom bracket shell? Probably not, but if there is you should be able to file out any bumps in an aluminum bottom bracket shell with a rattail file pretty easily.

LadyDarkKitten said:
You would think that contacting the supplier would be a reasonable option, I reached out to Shwinn, Mongoose, Kent, and Huffy 2 weeks ago about bottom bracket shell sizes. I have only heard back from Shwinn and this was the answer I got .....
Many of the on-line bicycle sellers have never seen any of their products and that includes BikesDirect who owns the "copyright" for a number of former big name bicycle brands. The bikes are mostly built in the same factories in China or Vietnam (some of the better ones in Taiwan) differing only in the decals applied at the end of the assembly line. They know the model number, prices, shipping weight and whatever information appears in the marketing propaganda. Beyond that they are typically clueless.

Back