And then there were three.......

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Specs;

-Three 3 turn Wye 3220s (vented with 1/2 inch hardened shafts)
-42,000 peak watts pulled from the battery
-45hp at the rear wheel
-6.1 pounds per horsepower with me on board
-Geared for 54mph

What is it like to ride? I don't know. It is not wired yet. I will keep you posted.

To be continued.......

Attachments

• triple4.jpg
    triple4.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 5,860
  • triple1.jpg
    triple1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 5,861
  • triple3.jpg
    triple3.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 5,860
disgusted-mother-of-god.png

Nice built Matt!!! Looks like a ripper to me!

:mrgreen:

bionicon said:
no torquelimiter on this bike.....i think i know why :roll:

Good eye!

There are a few reasons for no torque limiter;

#1 There is too much power for it.
#2 The shaft is 7/8 inch (too large diameter for it).
#3 The CA has current limiting.

This bike was built as the ultimate in power density. The motors will draw 1,000 amps peak from a 40ah pack that is 25c. That is a perfect combination. The bike weighs 90 pounds and is packaged with small 20 inch wheels. The motors will be running at their peak power right at the point where chain, spokes, and misc parts are at their limit. The motors are a perfect match for the controllers, the wheelbase is perfect for this setup, and all of the electrics are perfectly matched.

It will be tough to build something that is more balanced from that perspective.

Power is a funny thing. When I first built my PK Ripper a number of years ago, 10,000 watts was the end of the world in my eyes for a 20 inch bike. Then my Hooligan peaked at 14,000 watts with a longer wheelbase and that seemed nuts. Then came this bike with an even longer wheelbase, more weight, and over 20,000 watts and I could not imagine more power in such a compact package. Yet, I got used to the power every time. Now this setup is the most extreme I have ever built. I cannot add any more power without increasing everything; battery, chain, sprocket, brakes, chassis bracing, etc. At this point I highly doubt I will add any more power. More than likely I will merely tailor the violent "Hit" with the final gearing to put the performance exactly where I want it.

Right now it is geared for 54mph. With two motors it was geared for 45mph. It has 50% more power with 20% taller gearing. That should give me a bit more acceleration, greater top speed (as me mentioned), easier load on each controller, less motor heat (not that they were running hot anyway), and a better powerband for wheelies. On top of that, the previous motors were 5 turn delta. These are 3 turn wye. That means they are nearly identical kv yet far more efficient. So, odds are, with similar riding, the range should be very similar to the twin motor system or even better unless I am riding it hard.

Oh, I also, am seeing up a 2.4KW charger for this bike to allow faster recharges between thrash sessions. :mrgreen:

Single drive, dual drive and now triple drive. :twisted:
You Matt are pushing it and we love it!

recumpence said:
I cannot add any more power without increasing everything; battery, chain, sprocket, brakes, chassis bracing, etc. At this point I highly doubt I will add any more power.

nek-minute-guy.jpg

for my aussie/kiwi friends :lol:

looks dangerous Matt, I like it. I am surprised the chain can cope with it. Thought of putting that power on a gokart yet?

Rodger

Redundancy in case something happens you can always pedal. You can also just as easily make the argument "why not put pedals on it".

Then there is the legal issue, or rather the chance to pass as an bicycle rather then an electrified motorcycle. That means you can "ghost pedal" in bike lanes, follow smart bike lanes to beat traffic etc. If you remove the pedals the 5-0 will have easier time to be sure the vehicle is a motorcycle and not a bike.

Pedals are fine, since you need a place to put your feet anyway. I prefer pedals to pegs, because I like the ability to vary my leg and feet positions.

Matt,
I love overkill as much as anyone, but in what way was 2 simply not enough, especially with your low gearing relative to power?

John in CR said:
Pedals are fine, since you need a place to put your feet anyway. I prefer pedals to pegs, because I like the ability to vary my leg and feet positions.

Matt,
I love overkill as much as anyone, but in what way was 2 simply not enough, especially with your low gearing relative to power?
a couple things, the main issue is with two motors the system was maxed out. This way I have it geared 7 miles per hour faster and everything won't be maxed out.

Hahah awesome Matt! But doesn't Astro have one big motor? Why not use one powerful motor instead of three 'low power' motors?

Byte said:
Hahah awesome Matt! But doesn't Astro have one big motor? Why not use one powerful motor instead of three 'low power' motors?
There area a few issues with using their one big motor;

First, the cost per watt of power is higher on that big motor than 3 of these motors.
Second, there are no decent controllers to run that big motor. Their huge controller is not available yet. With three motors, I have three controllers sharing the load.
Third, these motors are actually more efficient than the bigger motor.
Fourth, packaging. These motors address small enough to fit in the bike. The bigger motor is far too long.

Matt

--freeride-- said:
42kw WTF. I am really looking forward to this build.

Looking at the photos it seems it is already built with a third added motor. So I'm really looking forward to the video(s)... :shock: 8)

macribs said:
Then there is the legal issue, or rather the chance to pass as an bicycle rather then an electrified motorcycle. That means you can "ghost pedal" in bike lanes, follow smart bike lanes to beat traffic etc. If you remove the pedals the 5-0 will have easier time to be sure the vehicle is a motorcycle and not a bike.

I think you would have a hard time convincing a cop this thing is a bike because it has pedals, and not some sort of motorcycle or moped. Pedals as a backup means to get home, I can understand.

Surprisingly enough the police have been very kind to me. I really don't have any problems. I think part of that is the fact that I am a mature adult not a 16 year old kid cutting off cars and riding super fast through neighborhoods. I have asked the police about it. And they tell me to treat the roads well and they will treat me well. Basically, if I ride nicely they will leave me alone. Most often police wave to me as I ride by.

Back