Lightweight and Inexpensive Gearbox for bicycle

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.

Re: Lightweight and Inexpensive Gearbox for bicycle

Postby TylerDurden » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:49 pm

You can stack freewheels using a bottom-bracket cup
Attachments
dual-freewheels.jpg
dual-freewheels.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Postby mud2005 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:05 pm

Yes, I've heard you can use a bottom bracket cup but I couldn't find one so I made one from 1-3/8 aluminum tube.
I will be selling these on my website soon, but for now send me an email at stub2005@gmail.com and I can send you one.
mud2005
10 kW
10 kW

Postby oofnik » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:46 pm

I'd love to see more details about your construction methods. Looks very clean and simple. I like it a lot. Nice job! :mrgreen:
oofnik
100 W
100 W

Postby mud2005 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:25 am

I'd love to see more details about your construction methods. Looks very clean and simple. I like it a lot. Nice job! :mrgreen:

Thanks, I plan to post a parts list and detailed instructions for those who wish to build their own.I will have my website up soon, maybe even tomorrow as I have the day off :)
Future's all yers ya lousy bicycle!
-Paul Newman
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
mud2005
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Miles » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:07 am

mud,

Well done.

Your gear box is a similar concept to the one Matt has in the pipeline, (his is more of an endostructure and yours is more exo...).
Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Postby recumpence » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 pm

I like the design!

May I offer one suggestion?

The XL pitch belt you are running will be great for the first stage. However, I can pretty much guarantee it will skip on the second stage. You may want to move to a 5mm HDT or powergrip belt (15mm wide) for your second stage.

Other than that, it should work great. :)

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?
recumpence
100 GW
100 GW

Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Postby oofnik » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:15 pm

You know someone knows their stuff when they can look at a 600px image of a few pulleys and know their pitch type and size :mrgreen:

Mud, have you looked in to R/C motors at all? They seem to be a perfect candidate for a final motor in your design.
oofnik
100 W
100 W

Postby mud2005 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 pm

May I offer one suggestion?

The XL pitch belt you are running will be great for the first stage. However, I can pretty much guarantee it will skip on the second stage. You may want to move to a 5mm HDT or powergrip belt (15mm wide) for your second stage.

Thanks for the advice, I'm researching the HTD and powergrip belt drives right now, shouldn't be difficult at all to swap out the current pulleys for HTD. I'm definitely going to do that. I just got email from ping while posting this that my battery has been shipped :mrgreen:

Mud, have you looked in to R/C motors at all? They seem to be a perfect candidate for a final motor in your design.

I am constantly shopping for motors and I do like many of the RC motors out there but have yet to decide on which to buy. I have owned astroflight 40 cobalt motor for an electric skateboard project and was impressed with the quality but it comes at a cost. also they are lightweight but run at high rpm. I decided to go with the ampflow for now as a compromise between cost weight and power. Its not hugely powerful but its only $80, its not the lightest at 3.4 pounds but it runs at 4000 rpms. also I think I can run it without a speed controller just an on/off relay switch which saves $$ also. I will find out soon if I'm right on this as I haven't tested it yet.
mud2005
10 kW
10 kW

Postby recumpence » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:28 am

Cool.

I don't mean to criticize your design at all. I am always thrilled when I see guys making stuff from scratch. I just want to save you one R&D step. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing it all together!

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?
recumpence
100 GW
100 GW

Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Postby mud2005 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 am

I don't mean to criticize your design at all. I am always thrilled when I see guys making stuff from scratch. I just want to save you one R&D step. :wink:

Don't worry I totally value your input, I have seen your website and am very impressed with your work. The electric recumbent looks like a lot of fun to ride :D

I'm actually thinking about switching to #25 chain to the wheel, and just using a single stage gearbox for now. That would eliminate any chance of slip and overall construction would be simpler. Time to hurry up and wait for more stuff in the mail :)
Future's all yers ya lousy bicycle!
-Paul Newman
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
mud2005
10 kW
10 kW

Postby JEB » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi mud- I have stopped using non rollar chain- #25 and #35 both only use lube on their surface that pickes up all sorts of
grit from the road, which eats the sprockets and chain.

The 2 bikes that I have that chain on I have added a shield that helps a little, but they have to be lubed often.

The bike chain, and #41 is what I have been useing on the newer assemblys.

I have cleaned the rollar chain well-with solvent, dryed, folded up alumium around chain to form a cup, poured in 90~ weight
synthetic gear oil to cover, put in a pressure pot, capped- applied 15psi air to force in lube, remove, wipe off outside surfaces,
install.
JEB
100 W
100 W

Return to E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives