2014 Specialized Stumpjumper & Luna Cyclone 3000w

Phife

10 W
Hey Guys,

Here's my latest build, Its a 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Evo 26" Wheels, Large Frame. I got a Luna Cycle 3000w Cyclone middrive in the triangle. It fits really well in this frame with the stock mounting brackets, But Im ordering some Lightning Rod Brackets and better freewheels in the near future. For now its wedged in the frame pretty good with some rubber blocks on each side.

I changed the chainwheel that goes from crank to rear derailleur to a 38t Raceface chainwheel, the stock was pretty bent up when I got it and the chainline was out a little. I shimmed out the new one and the Narrow Wide teeth help keep the chain on better. No problems yet! Top speed on flat roads is only around 55kph, thats plenty fast enough for me, im mostly looking for climbing anyways.

The battery is a Luna Cycle 52v 20AH pack and its in my backpack. its only 10lbs and pretty compact for 20ah. I have another bike with a frame mounted pack and I can say I really like this backpack mounted battery. Makes the bike feel much more light and maneuverable. This bike will be for trails, fireroads and single track off road riding. I still need to clean up the wiring a bit more and make a better battery tether.

I also upgraded the rims, tires and brakes on the bike. The brakes are now 203mm front and back Hope Tech V2s and the rotors are double thick and vented. These are some cool brakes. Also made everything matchy matchy, I like it when things match. 8)

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_20160305_151608.jpg
    IMG_20160305_151608.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 9,400
  • IMG_20160305_151339.jpg
    IMG_20160305_151339.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 9,400
  • IMG_20160305_151252.jpg
    IMG_20160305_151252.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 9,400
  • IMG_20160305_151244.jpg
    IMG_20160305_151244.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 9,400
  • IMG_20160305_151311.jpg
    IMG_20160305_151311.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 9,400
Nice!!!!

Nice build. I also like carrying the battery's weight on my person rather than on the bike, though I'm also struggling to find a robust (and retractable?) battery tether between the bike and backpack. If if you (or others) come up with an elegant solution, please report. thanks.

joshseitz said:
Nice build. I also like carrying the battery's weight on my person rather than on the bike, though I'm also struggling to find a robust (and retractable?) battery tether between the bike and backpack. If if you (or others) come up with an elegant solution, please report. thanks.
I carry my battery in my backpack also and only ride single track, no roads or commuting. I just have a loop of wire that comes from my waist to one connected to my seat post with an XT90 connector. It seems to work and I haven't had any problems but hav been thinking I might try running the wire out of my backpack and down my right arm with perhaps some Velcro straps. Then only a very small loop from my wrist to a connector near my throttle. Anyone tried something like this.

Sick build, awesome it fit inside .
What's the weight?

joshseitz said:

Thanks, Ive actually been researching the tether situation. I think the best solution Ive come up with is a 2 core 2.5mm2 Curly Cord. Straight section from a bottom corner of my Evoc FR Trail backpack then across the belly strap and then the spiral section running from my center (belly button) to just behind the headtube area. This was the least intrusive way I could come up with. I was able to get off the bike both ways and still swing my leg over the seat. Also I had full range of motion standing on the bike and never had the wire hitting me or my leg while peddling. I dont have the Curly Cord yet, Just a straight wire but Im going to either pick some up from that site or make my own. It will be like an umbilical cord to my bike!

Dogboy1200 said:
joshseitz said:
I carry my battery in my backpack also and only ride single track, no roads or commuting. I just have a loop of wire that comes from my waist to one connected to my seat post with an XT90 connector. It seems to work and I haven't had any problems but hav been thinking I might try running the wire out of my backpack and down my right arm with perhaps some Velcro straps. Then only a very small loop from my wrist to a connector near my throttle. Anyone tried something like this.

Im using the antispark xt90's as well, they unplug pretty well when i pull on the cable, incase of crash. So im happy with them. I'd be worried about running the wire down my arm, Im using 10 gauge (2.5mm2) Wire and its pretty large once wrapped in heatshrink. Im looking for a better solution but i'd be worried about the wire being flexed a lot with your arm movements or it just being in the way, especially coming out by your hand.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dx8RedL60IoyAggWsPkssdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
DSC_0069.JPG

it has become you very well.
I have the engine cyclone 1680w.
My LiPo 48V 10Ah, last few kilometers.
Very important regulator power for good acceleration on mountain roads. I put 60% of the potencia'
enjoy it

Nice Enduro Koman! I was eyeing up a 2012 Specialized Enduro Carbon but I settled on the 2014 Stumpy, I Was worried about the carbon frame and using the motor with it.

I weighed up the bike today. Its 43lbs. My battery is 10lbs but when its in my backpack with my water bladder and bike tools its 15lbs. I went for an hour ride just on some local roads and a bit of off road. Performed great! Really need to sort out the battery umbilical though. The center position is good, but I need some coiled wire to take up and give some slack when im standing. I found this company http://www.curlycords.com.au/ they make the wire I need, only its bright orange. 2 Conductor 10 Gauge (2.5mm2) wire. Im waiting to hear on a price. Im also looking into making my own coiled wire which seems pretty easy.

Here's my solution to the backpack tether.

I bought some 10 gauge power and ground wire from my local car audio store and put that through some heatshrink tube. Then I started wrapping that around a 3/8" metal rod, I heated and shrunk the heatshrink as I wrapped, then blasted the whole coil with the heatgun to really let it all get hot and take its shape. After cooling the wire held the coil and its been working great so far! Less than $25 for the whole thing including the antispark xt90's

Im using a Evoc FR Trail backpack, my luna cycle 52v 20AH NCRB pack fits in the backpack perfectly, right at the bottom, The camelbak sits just above it in its own water proof compartment. The pack is 20L so there is still lots of room for snacks, tools, and extra clothes. The backpack has a back protector plate that will save my back if I crash, and I wrapped the battery in 1/2" Neoprene Foam for extra protection. I very comfortable and I much prefer the battery on my back vs on the bike. My other bike has a dolphin pack on the downtube and that bike is not nearly as agile or light feeling.

The power wire runs out the bottom of the backpack and along the belly strap to the center clip, from there it goes to the XT90 connector just behind my bikes headtube. I have full range of motion this way. I love it! the XT90 pulls out with a bit of force in the event of a crash but holds tight otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_20160318_155749.jpg
    IMG_20160318_155749.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 9,011
  • IMG_20160318_155724.jpg
    IMG_20160318_155724.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 9,011
  • IMG_20160318_155654.jpg
    IMG_20160318_155654.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 9,011
  • IMG_20160318_155620.jpg
    IMG_20160318_155620.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 9,011
  • IMG_20160318_125302.jpg
    IMG_20160318_125302.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 9,011
parajared said:
very nice!
How do you keep your gears from getting torn up? Mine start to bend after about 1500 watts.

Not sure what you mean about getting torn up? like broken chains and rear cassette sprockets? I havent had any issues, but then again I always try to be gentle with the throttle input, I find the bike wheelies if im not really smooth on the application of throttle. Especially uphill in a low gear. If you mean the front chainrings, The stock chainring was bent out of the box, so I changed it to a RaceFace Narrow wide chainring.

My chainline was a bit out when I installed this motor so I had to shim the chainring to better center it with the rear cassette. I could see a bad chainline causing problems.

Excellent work. I'm going to build me one as yours.
You know if alrgando with 1metro more, the engine may suffer or alter its operation?

Not sure what you mean about getting torn up?
What happens is the teeth bend inward. The bend gets so extreme after a while that it grabs in on the chain and yanks on stuff. I can bend the teeth on just one ride if I'm not careful and it costs about $50 and a couple of hours to fix.

This is a great idea! What size heatshrink tube did you use?

Phife said:
Here's my solution to the backpack tether.

I bought some 10 gauge power and ground wire from my local car audio store and put that through some heatshrink tube. Then I started wrapping that around a 3/8" metal rod, I heated and shrunk the heatshrink as I wrapped, then blasted the whole coil with the heatgun to really let it all get hot and take its shape. After cooling the wire held the coil and its been working great so far! Less than $25 for the whole thing including the antispark xt90's

Im using a Evoc FR Trail backpack, my luna cycle 52v 20AH NCRB pack fits in the backpack perfectly, right at the bottom, The camelbak sits just above it in its own water proof compartment. The pack is 20L so there is still lots of room for snacks, tools, and extra clothes. The backpack has a back protector plate that will save my back if I crash, and I wrapped the battery in 1/2" Neoprene Foam for extra protection. I very comfortable and I much prefer the battery on my back vs on the bike. My other bike has a dolphin pack on the downtube and that bike is not nearly as agile or light feeling.

The power wire runs out the bottom of the backpack and along the belly strap to the center clip, from there it goes to the XT90 connector just behind my bikes headtube. I have full range of motion this way. I love it! the XT90 pulls out with a bit of force in the event of a crash but holds tight otherwise.

Is your chainline straight or is the chain pulled to one side most of the time? I'm running 52V with mine, and I work it hard, pulling a trailer with two kids up very steep hills, and I've had no issues with my chainrings/sprockets, but I've moved to a triple chainring crankset. I don't use the middle chainring, but because it's there, my chainline is much improved. I tried a dual chainring setup, but the chain kept falling off, bending the teeth.

parajared said:
Not sure what you mean about getting torn up?
What happens is the teeth bend inward. The bend gets so extreme after a while that it grabs in on the chain and yanks on stuff. I can bend the teeth on just one ride if I'm not careful and it costs about $50 and a couple of hours to fix.

Glad to have stumbled on your post in the New Cyclone 3000 thread. Almost exactly what I had planned on doing with my build, in relation to the motor mounting and battery setup.
I like it, like A LOT. Like like LIKE. LoL

Oh, BTW...
Thank you for posting all of those pictures. You are now being stalked :shock:
I've downloaded all the photographs to my computational device. I now know what your garage door looks like, as well as the color of your grass. :mrgreen:

An earlier Specialized FSR with the C3000, but no backpack battery used here.

IDEAL: Motor and Battery below top tube.

Mod IMG_6510.jpg

Attachments

• Mod IMG_6515.jpg
    Mod IMG_6515.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 8,263
DingusMcGee said:
An earlier Specialized FSR with the C3000, but no backpack battery used here.

IDEAL: Motor and Battery below top tube.

View attachment 1

I would hardly call that "Ideal", so much weight more on the bike, handling suffers. also, imo it looks ugly.. I like my bikes to look as stealth as possible. Why such a huge mounting bracket for the motor?

I would hardly call that "Ideal", so much weight more on the bike, handling suffers.
It is ideal because it gives the lowest center of gravity and the best lateral response[think moment of inertia:: you ever learn this stuff -- physics?] needed for right and left turns. It is not high bob. Trail handling is best with low CG. Look at any trail bike -- the weight is low.

Battery back packing sucks big time.

also, imo it looks ugly.. I like my bikes to look as stealth as possible.

What ugly gray. I like the vivids.

Why such a huge mounting bracket for the motor?

The motor mount which is the standard C3000 frame plus my modification which is stiffer than all the rest of the CAD made patch up jobs, including your plastic motor bracket modification.

I completely agree. Having the weight of the battery off the bike is ideal with regard to handling.

Phife said:
I would hardly call that "Ideal", so much weight more on the bike, handling suffers. also, imo it looks ugly.. I like my bikes to look as stealth as possible. Why such a huge mounting bracket for the motor?

robocam,

you don't see trials bike riders adding a pack on their backs to improve their handling skills?

A backpack with battery is more inertia up high and it takes more muscle work to start and stop motion.

but have it your way.

Granted, when you are just wheeling a battery-less ebike around, the bike without a battery is more nimble but when you mount and ride a bike, you become part of the balance system that has to be accounted for in maneuvers. And here is where the low center of gravity helps.

joshseitz said:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11882/Tools/Securit-Retractable-Key-Holder?pricode=WY653&gadtype=pla&id=S-11882&gclid=CjwKEAjwsr-6BRCLvrj785rbhTsSJADjUxakkvjC1nJpD2DmXXP7sVLzkupLNiQjcZxXmpN5TA2tPBoC-3bw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use this works like a charm & keeps everything nice & out of the way. Three years & counting without a problem.

Stuntman,

how sweet it would be to see you on a serious difficult hill climb only to get wheelied over the back and take the long downhill slam with that battery pack on your back! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!!

Just kidding -- would not want to see you hurt not knowing the consequences of carrying a hard pack on your back while doing something difficult.

DingusMcGee said:
Stuntman,

how sweet it would be to see you on a serious difficult hill climb only to get wheelied over the back and take the long downhill slam with that battery pack on your back! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!!

Just kidding -- would not want to see you hurt not knowing the consequences of carrying a hard pack on your back while doing something difficult.

That would be funny wouldn't it ?
I think about that a lot actually. I'm using a modified Camelbak with six 6s 8000mah bricks wired 3 in series then parallel. I think a bad enough slam would lead to spectacular inferno on my back. But that hasn't stopped me maybe because it hasn't happened yet? Believe me, I have been in some pretty precarious situations but some how always managed to not land on my back.

Back