Nukeproof Mega TR275 Pro with Tangent Motor + Luna 52v 20ah

giblet

1 W
Nukeproof TR275 Pro with Tangent Motor + Luna 52v 20ah

View attachment 1

BACKGROUND

As you can see from my join date - I’ve been interested in electric bikes for a long time.

I have watched various projects be built on this site and always wished I could join the ‘club’. However the projects have always looked too technical or ‘not quite right’ for me and new technology and advancements seem to come along so quickly that I have been super wary about ‘investing’ in an off the shelf solution.

I would class myself as an enthusiastic consumer - I’m certainly no technical wizard. I just want to use the tech to go fast and have fun. Bikes alone are great in my view - bikes with electric motors are even better...

Initially (way back), I looked into importing a Stealth Bomber from OZ. Then I went off hubs due to the unsprung weight in the bikes and the lack of actual ‘stealth’.

I started doing more reading and decided I wanted a mid-drive based motor as it seemed much more logical and you could integrate the motor into the center of the bike rather than in the wheel providing a much nicer handling bike that remained more ‘bike like’ for want of a better term.

I was constantly looking at different solutions and nearly purchased an AFT system - but the cost at the time slightly put me off. I was also worried about the size and weight.

So I waited and waited. I even looked at pre-built bikes with Bosch mid-drives and the ‘mods’ you could do to them to increase the pedal assist speeds but I wasn’t 100% sold on the concept. The bikes looked good, but I knew I could get better bikes for the price that I’d prefer to ride.

Eventually Dave turned up with a new solution and his Tangent Motor was born. I knew instantly that was what I wanted - lightweight, powerful and could be attached to a ‘normal bike’ without changing its handling characteristics.

I love bikes and wanted to keep my bike a bike - I just wanted extra power to allow me to enjoy riding single track longer and faster - especially getting back uphill and wanted the ability to ride around my local area with a powerful motor without drawing attention - unlike my previous foray into off road Motorbikes where I bought 350 KTM Freeride http://www.ktm.com/gb/freeride/freeride-350-2016/ (not the electric version) and literally nearly killed myself. Not only that couldn’t find anywhere to ride it and it was noisy.

Having limited knowledge of electronics and electrical systems I’ve always been wary of getting into something that I couldn’t handle but Tangent Motors system seemed very straightforward to setup and maintain.

After going on for so long to my girlfriend about buying an electric bike and after having experienced a Haibike - which sold me 100% on electric bikes (just not that bike) whilst visiting my cousin in Italy I came home and was determined to purchase a Tangent Motor. I figured for the price of pre-built system like the Haibike - I could have 6 - 7 times the power and a bike that I actually sourced myself with way better components for the similar overall price.

THE BIKE

I bought a 2015 Nukeproof TR275 Pro bike http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-mega-tr-275-pro-bike-2015/rp-prod117265 in a sale for £1700 reduced from £3000. It had everything I wanted - super tough frame with the shock in the right place that enabled me to run the motor inside the frame if I wanted and amazing components with a single chainring running 11 SRAM gears.

The Nukeproof bikes also had some good reviews although the forks on my particular model were mentioned as a weak point but I can tell you it’s an absolute beast - built way beyond my ability to push it to the max :)

THE MOTOR

One word - ART.

It’s so professionally made it actually is worthy of putting on display. Every little detail has been designed with care and the build quality is amazing. I can’t really say anything else - it looks incredible.

BATTERY

Dave initially recommended 16ah Multistars - but by the time I was ready to actually purchase Dave told me to get Lunacycle 52v Highpower 20ah battery http://lunacycle.com/batteries/52v-samsung-inr18650-25r-20ah-high-power/. I also bought the Lunacycle charger with it too**. I’m glad I did as the power is awesome and the battery is simple to use with a built in BMS and the charger is cheap and perfectly matched.

BACKPACK

I was slightly concerned about having a 12Ib battery on my back and looked at EGO kits bikes to see what backpacks they used. I bought an EVOC FR Enduro Blackline http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/evoc-fr-enduro-blackline-16l-backpack-2016/rp-prod113482. It’s amazing - it fits your body so well and with a back protector built-in you can’t feel the battery at all. Obviously you can feel the weight but I immediately forgot about it after twisting the throttle. It’s very, very good.

PS I wrapped the battery in memory foam and taped it too - and it fit’s really perfectly in the backpack and is super cushioned - extra protection both for me and for the battery if I slammed hard on it.

BUILD

Well nothing much to say - it’s simple - even for me - follow the instructions on Tangent Motors website and in half an hour* you are ready to ride. Just replace the Bottom Bracket with the one supplied - attaching the motor using the supplied supports and run the cables.

I ziptied the Cycle Analyst to my handlebars as I didn’t want it sticking up on the mount and that works perfectly. You barely see it in the pictures.

I zip tied all the cables. Easy even for me.

I wanted to put the motor in the frame - but the current mounts don’t allow this as my frame has the rear suspension link really close to the triangle but to be honest (even though Dave is making me some mounts to allow the motor to go in the frame) I’ve had no problems whilst riding with the motor getting hit by anything - even without a bash guard - it’s also really solidly attached. You could pick the whole bike up just by the motor if you so desired. I don’t even think about it getting hit - it just a non issue.

* You probably won’t do this but I mangled my first bottom bracket cups as the 8 notch Parktool I bought kept slipping as it wasn’t deep enough to engage over the 30mm spindles. In fact I had to buy 2 more different 8 prong adapters for the BB - eventually finding that this Lezyne one https://www.evanscycles.com/lezyne-8-notch-bb-and-isis-bb-tool-EV163200 is the best one for the job - although it still doesn’t engage 100% and also has slightly mangled the cups when I slightly slipped my torque wrench… oh well it was at the last turn torqueing in to the recommended tightness. Not looking forward to taking it off.

** if you live in the UK don’t plug a 110v charger from Luna cycles into a shaver socket. It blows up spectcularly. I had to buy another charger from Luna which took 15 days to arrive (priority express shipping) and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A9VWM4M/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item voltage converter. Idiot, don’t know what I was thinking…

THE RIDE

One word: Awesome.

The bike alone literally handles anything you throw at it. With the combination of the motor you can go faster, further and higher quicker and have way more fun than any amount of pedalling could provide.

Honestly it is incredible. The bike wheelies on a throttle twist and jumps going uphill on singletrack. You can also floor it around corners, and if the grounds loose enough, drift it using the throttle. It’s a whole new world of cycling without the pedaling (well unless you see a horse rider, twitcher or forest warden - then you just pedal, throttle off and they don’t even look twice).

I can’t say how impressed I am with this bike and motor setup - it really is like riding the lightest off-road moto-crosser in the world. I can lift it over fences, logs whatever - it’s still a bike - it just has an incredible amount of torque and power. I literally rode up a near vertical incline at the weekend - just to see if I could… and I could. I was leaning so far forward at the top that the rear wheel was spinning like crazy but I did it :)

I guarantee anyone who puts this on a bike will be smiling constantly.

just_ridden_s.jpg

TANGENT MOTORS (well Dave)

From first contact Dave has always answered me with detailed and easy to understand information. I’ve asked a million questions (mostly stupid ones) and Dave has always been patient. He sent me hand drawn diagrams and responds as soon as he can.

He is so helpful - I honestly don’t think anyone could give a better customer service. If this motor business fails to take off (not possible) he could make a vast amount of money consulting for the biggest companies in the world who seem to struggle with CS :)

When Lunacycle refused to ship my battery (because they don’t have the paperwork or ability to send to Europe (very annoying for UK or European customers so be aware)) I nearly cancelled my order with Dave - I mean it wasn’t his fault but without a battery the motor is useless.

Dave told me to get Luna to ship the battery directly to him. He then forwarded it to me no questions asked - he even paid the shipping for me (5 days to UK), which must of been horrendously expensive, as I had waited for quite sometime since placing my order due to the anodizing problems he had that delayed the production of my motor (he subsequently has found another anodizer).

He is currently in the process of making some more mounts for my bike as I had planned to put the motor inside the frame but the left mount where the rear suspension meets the triangle is too close for the current ones to allow this. Dave said no problem - I’ll make some to fit and send them. Just great service.

I honestly can’t praise Dave and his company enough. His technical knowledge is vast. Not only about electronics, batteries, motors etc but also about anything bike related. He has a deep knowledge of all things surrounding his business and has the ability to share it without making you feel like you need to do a degree in electronics or engineering.

FINAL WORDS

Buy. Install. Ride. Smile.

(I’m aiming to get some videos up but I don’t have a decent camera at the moment - you’ll just have to believe me when I say this motor on that bike rips :)

Great post dude, the setup looks awesome! Where in the UK are you as I'm desperate to try one of these before I think of buying one? Cheers :D

PtotheK said:
Great post dude, the setup looks awesome! Where in the UK are you as I'm desperate to try one of these before I think of buying one? Cheers :D

Not Sheffield. Sorry.

I've only let my son ride it once so test rides are out of the question unless you give me a bike/car/cash to the value of £5000 to hold :)

Not that I'm at all paranoid about letting a complete stranger on the internet test ride my 'preciousssss' :)

Ha ha when you put it like that it does sound ridiculous doesn't it!! :p If you were closer I'd happily give you the keys to my car or motorbike as I'd love nothing more than to try this system out. I just want to see it in person and hear it really. I want to use an ebike to commute (as well as have fun on!) but I'm worried about the noise drawing unwanted attention. The bafang bbshd is super quite but soooo much bigger and heavier. The Tangent just looks like it ticks all the boxes except one, stealth sounding :?

Maybe ask Dave - he's just designed a quieter gearbox.

The current gearbox does make a noise - I actually asked another mountain biker I bumped into on a ride what it sounded like and he told me it sounded like I had put a piece of cardboard in the wheels :) I was at full throttle pushing 2000w going up a hill in the woods though.

I like the sound - in traffic you can't notice it. Another time in the woods I came across a family walking and they didn't notice it at all - I only throttled it up when the guy told me his Staffie that he was holding back would chase and try and catch me :) I laughed and told him 'it wouldn't on this' and full throttled it away. The kids loved it.

I believe he's referring to the 20:1 vs. 40:1 custom cut gears Dave made for another forum member. Said it quieted the drive down quite a bit and he liked the noises it made even more!

I can also vouch for Dave - class act all the way, and a hell of a nice guy to boot! I've already sent two of my buddies his way for drives as well.

I was planning a big thread update after I get some parts back from the anodizers and installed on a new frame....muahaha....

WP_20160225_20_43_42_Pro (2).jpg

The 20:1 is quieter and doesn't sound like a gearbox but more futuristic, it just kind of whirs. That gearbox is symmetrical while the 40:1 box is not quite symmetrical. BUT now the 40:1 is completely balanced with improved lubricant retention and circulation. It runs very smooth even at max RPM and has a refined, subdued tone. The split faced design splashes the grease over the output pins and reduces lubricant pressures and removes a bit of weight. We're still able to use large bearings to support the cycloid gears and keep the robustness of a wide gear without pumping the grease away from the gear faces as much. The change in tone is due to alterations to the gear face profile and their positions relative to the aperture holes which allow me to offset the two cycloid gears 180deg even though the gear has an odd number of teeth and isn't symmetrical.

I'm working hard to get examples out and am locking down hardware changes for a while. The bottleneck of the anodizing step is slowing me down as I have to finish all the parts to be blackened together. The balanced eccentric assembly (below) is compatible with all units I've sent out since December, there's only a handful of units to update.

-dave

Dave that all looks awesome! Will you post some videos of the new sound for both new gears? You are on to a winner with your drive dude. Just wish I had the cash right now to order one :D

Was this the large frame that they only had one of?...if so, your a bollox, I was going to buy that to use as a pedler! :lol:

Sean9002 said:
Was this the large frame that they only had one of?...if so, your a bollox, I was going to buy that to use as a pedler! :lol:

Actually they had a couple left when I purchased - so you must of just of got in too late :) It is a lovely bike... what is that pedalling thing you speak of?

I got notified of this yesterday - not a Pro model but you could probably negotiate a good price if he's desperate.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/nukeproof-mega-tr-275-mountain-bike-/1160824706

Very sweet build. As a fellow Tangent owner I couldn't agree more that this is the best kit out there, and that Dave is the man.

So Dave, any timeline on the new parts? :D

giblet said:
what is that pedalling thing you speak of?

haha I still like to pump the pistons every now and then :lol:

Back