New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
dameri   100 W

100 W
Posts: 118
Joined: Sep 20 2018 10:57am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by dameri » May 28 2019 7:39am

What is FW?

Have you erased first previous version? If not, there is too many menus.

mauri_78   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Jul 17 2018 9:47am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by mauri_78 » May 28 2019 9:54am

Hi, i haven't erased but before i had stock firmware. This is my first installation of open firmware. Do you think that i should erase all and then reflash?
I was thinking to downgrade to 18.2 i have seen that there are a lot of users that are experiencing problems with 0.19.6 version.
Someone suggest to use the display firmware 0.19.5 with motor version 0.19.6... Problably there are some bugs in this version.
Please give me some suggestion i haven't more experience with this firmware.

Maurizio

thineight   100 W

100 W
Posts: 188
Joined: Oct 05 2018 3:53am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by thineight » May 28 2019 10:58am

mauri_78 wrote:
May 28 2019 9:54am
Hi, i haven't erased but before i had stock firmware. This is my first installation of open firmware. Do you think that i should erase all and then reflash?
I was thinking to downgrade to 18.2 i have seen that there are a lot of users that are experiencing problems with 0.19.6 version.
Someone suggest to use the display firmware 0.19.5 with motor version 0.19.6... Problably there are some bugs in this version.
Please give me some suggestion i haven't more experience with this firmware.

Maurizio
Do not use the beta6, it has a major bug with the menu.
Use the beta5 or wait the incoming beta7!
MTB KTM Ultra 29" - City bike DAYTONA 28"

bergerandfries   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Mar 02 2019 9:47pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by bergerandfries » May 28 2019 3:43pm

hefest wrote:
May 25 2019 3:47am
So the motor can overcook even if it's not hot on touch?
It probably is hot to the touch, but "how hot" isn't a good gauge if you are cooking your motor or not. The only gauge that can do that is a gauge directly mounted to the metal on the inside motor, thus why so many folks like the opensource motor firmware and display with the LM35 sensor mounted to the motor...

hefest   10 W

10 W
Posts: 83
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » May 28 2019 4:25pm

I need opinion.

i have 30km on ODO now and starting to get the feel of the bike. Recently I noticed that when I'm starting by putting pressure on the pedal, there is "notchy" feeling coming from the motor through the cranks. It seems to me like I feel the gears "clicking". It goes away when the bicycle starts moving, just with that initial start I'm getting this.
Is this normal behaviour that I didn't notice previously? Or did I somehow manage to wearout the blue gear already (PS: And I avoided overtorquing it as much as possible).

el_proletario   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 18 2019 1:55pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by el_proletario » May 29 2019 3:38am

hefest wrote:
May 28 2019 4:25pm
I need opinion.

i have 30km on ODO now and starting to get the feel of the bike. Recently I noticed that when I'm starting by putting pressure on the pedal, there is "notchy" feeling coming from the motor through the cranks. It seems to me like I feel the gears "clicking". It goes away when the bicycle starts moving, just with that initial start I'm getting this.
Is this normal behaviour that I didn't notice previously? Or did I somehow manage to wearout the blue gear already (PS: And I avoided overtorquing it as much as possible).
That's normal. The motor needs to calibrate at start, if there's a pressure on the pedal the calibration will be wrong and you get a weird behavior of the motor.

Just to understand it, try to push strongly either forward or backward at start during calibration, and try to ride (on a safe place) you'll see why it's important to not put your feet at all on the pedals while starting the motor.

mctubster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 182
Joined: Feb 26 2018 6:21am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by mctubster » May 29 2019 4:42am

mittkonto wrote:
May 25 2019 6:25am
Looking at a bike light.

However, the light specifies 6-60 V DC supply and:
Requires at least 7.5 W nominal output of the drive system's light connection
Does the tsdz2 (6v for light, controlled through display) provide enough A (1.25A) for this light?
Hi - from memory 7.5W is too much power draw. I was just looking at this light and it looks really good with a proper road safe reflector. The other option is to use a solid state relay, power the relay from the 6V output and use it to switch the battery to the light.

See this https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... y#p1423235

hefest   10 W

10 W
Posts: 83
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » May 29 2019 6:50am

el_proletario wrote:
May 29 2019 3:38am
hefest wrote:
May 28 2019 4:25pm
I need opinion.

i have 30km on ODO now and starting to get the feel of the bike. Recently I noticed that when I'm starting by putting pressure on the pedal, there is "notchy" feeling coming from the motor through the cranks. It seems to me like I feel the gears "clicking". It goes away when the bicycle starts moving, just with that initial start I'm getting this.
Is this normal behaviour that I didn't notice previously? Or did I somehow manage to wearout the blue gear already (PS: And I avoided overtorquing it as much as possible).
That's normal. The motor needs to calibrate at start, if there's a pressure on the pedal the calibration will be wrong and you get a weird behavior of the motor.

Just to understand it, try to push strongly either forward or backward at start during calibration, and try to ride (on a safe place) you'll see why it's important to not put your feet at all on the pedals while starting the motor.
I always leave it to turn on without touching pedals so I don't think it's that.
I'm talking about feeling clicking through pedals every time I start from the standstill, on traffic light for example.

dameri   100 W

100 W
Posts: 118
Joined: Sep 20 2018 10:57am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by dameri » May 29 2019 9:49am

mauri_78 wrote:
May 28 2019 9:54am
Hi, i haven't erased but before i had stock firmware. This is my first installation of open firmware. Do you think that i should erase all and then reflash?
I was thinking to downgrade to 18.2 i have seen that there are a lot of users that are experiencing problems with 0.19.6 version.
Someone suggest to use the display firmware 0.19.5 with motor version 0.19.6... Problably there are some bugs in this version.
Please give me some suggestion i haven't more experience with this firmware.

Maurizio
As thineight said there is some problems in beta 0.19. Now casainho has released v 19.0-beta7. Buba has made
huge work to prepare it. Casainho warned to use it. It is only for developers. If you want stable version use latest
v 18 which is non beta.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... start=2325

edit: here is latest stable release: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... ag/v0.18.2

el_proletario   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 18 2019 1:55pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by el_proletario » May 29 2019 12:05pm

hefest wrote:
May 29 2019 6:50am
el_proletario wrote:
May 29 2019 3:38am
hefest wrote:
May 28 2019 4:25pm
I need opinion.

i have 30km on ODO now and starting to get the feel of the bike. Recently I noticed that when I'm starting by putting pressure on the pedal, there is "notchy" feeling coming from the motor through the cranks. It seems to me like I feel the gears "clicking". It goes away when the bicycle starts moving, just with that initial start I'm getting this.
Is this normal behaviour that I didn't notice previously? Or did I somehow manage to wearout the blue gear already (PS: And I avoided overtorquing it as much as possible).
That's normal. The motor needs to calibrate at start, if there's a pressure on the pedal the calibration will be wrong and you get a weird behavior of the motor.

Just to understand it, try to push strongly either forward or backward at start during calibration, and try to ride (on a safe place) you'll see why it's important to not put your feet at all on the pedals while starting the motor.
I always leave it to turn on without touching pedals so I don't think it's that.
I'm talking about feeling clicking through pedals every time I start from the standstill, on traffic light for example.
I understand what you mean now. I have the same feeling also when I start moving. Not sure if it's normal though.

Retrorockit   10 W

10 W
Posts: 84
Joined: Feb 08 2019 12:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Retrorockit » May 29 2019 12:07pm

hefest wrote:
May 29 2019 6:50am
el_proletario wrote:
May 29 2019 3:38am
hefest wrote:
May 28 2019 4:25pm
I need opinion.

i have 30km on ODO now and starting to get the feel of the bike. Recently I noticed that when I'm starting by putting pressure on the pedal, there is "notchy" feeling coming from the motor through the cranks. It seems to me like I feel the gears "clicking". It goes away when the bicycle starts moving, just with that initial start I'm getting this.
Is this normal behaviour that I didn't notice previously? Or did I somehow manage to wearout the blue gear already (PS: And I avoided overtorquing it as much as possible).
That's normal. The motor needs to calibrate at start, if there's a pressure on the pedal the calibration will be wrong and you get a weird behavior of the motor.

Just to understand it, try to push strongly either forward or backward at start during calibration, and try to ride (on a safe place) you'll see why it's important to not put your feet at all on the pedals while starting the motor.
I always leave it to turn on without touching pedals so I don't think it's that.
I'm talking about feeling clicking through pedals every time I start from the standstill, on traffic light for example.
There is a supposed to be a delay in the power applied based on crank rotation in the original firmware to avoid using power when stopped with a foot on the pedals. No rotation=no power. Some of the aftermarket firmware turns this off. If there's just one click after a partial rotation it's probably just the power coming on. If it's clicking the whole time you're stopped I would say something is wrong with it.
if it's just one click it could be the power coming on.

btslo   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 49
Joined: Apr 17 2019 8:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by btslo » May 30 2019 3:37am

Do these chainrings fit? I want to go 36t from the stock 42

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Bicycle-F ... SwJoxc0oTz

la8rat   1 W

1 W
Posts: 59
Joined: Mar 12 2019 10:34am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by la8rat » May 30 2019 6:16am

btslo wrote:
May 30 2019 3:37am
Do these chainrings fit? I want to go 36t from the stock 42

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Bicycle-F ... SwJoxc0oTz
yes it will fit i swapped mine out for a 36 chain ring as well, on 26 inch wheels and a fairly standard mountain bike casset i find the gearing to be perfect with the assist.

i would try to find a narrow wide style chain ring though, i splashed out on a hope one but raceface and others make them.they are much better at keeping your chain on.

el_proletario   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 18 2019 1:55pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by el_proletario » May 30 2019 6:28am

Did some of you install a chainguard with this motor ? (Especially with an internal gear hub). Any recommendations or warnings on compatibility ?

I'm about to order one of those :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Hebie ... nt-p29665/

Thanks
Last edited by el_proletario on May 30 2019 7:07am, edited 1 time in total.

knutselmaaster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 267
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by knutselmaaster » May 30 2019 6:44am

el_proletario wrote:
May 30 2019 6:28am
Did some of you install a chainguard with this motor ? (Especially with an internal gear hub). Any recommendations or warnings on compatibility ?

I'm about to order one of those :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Hebie ... nt-p29665/

Thanks
Yes, the chainglider works like a charm. Be sure to take the right sizes front and rear though.
Screenshot_20190530-134402.png
Screenshot_20190530-134402.png (474.08 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

el_proletario   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 18 2019 1:55pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by el_proletario » May 30 2019 7:13am

knutselmaaster wrote:
May 30 2019 6:44am
el_proletario wrote:
May 30 2019 6:28am
Did some of you install a chainguard with this motor ? (Especially with an internal gear hub). Any recommendations or warnings on compatibility ?

I'm about to order one of those :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Hebie ... nt-p29665/

Thanks
Yes, the chainglider works like a charm. Be sure to take the right sizes front and rear though.
Screenshot_20190530-134402.png
:thumb: looks great ! Thanks

btslo   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 49
Joined: Apr 17 2019 8:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by btslo » May 30 2019 7:30am

la8rat wrote:
May 30 2019 6:16am
btslo wrote:
May 30 2019 3:37am
Do these chainrings fit? I want to go 36t from the stock 42

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Bicycle-F ... SwJoxc0oTz
yes it will fit i swapped mine out for a 36 chain ring as well, on 26 inch wheels and a fairly standard mountain bike casset i find the gearing to be perfect with the assist.

i would try to find a narrow wide style chain ring though, i splashed out on a hope one but raceface and others make them.they are much better at keeping your chain on.
Ugh, just hate that 5x110 selection is limited and very expensive. Just installed 11-40 cassette (had 11-34), wonder how much easier it will be. Still want 36t on front though.

hefest   10 W

10 W
Posts: 83
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » May 30 2019 10:45am

knutselmaaster wrote:
May 30 2019 6:44am
el_proletario wrote:
May 30 2019 6:28am
Did some of you install a chainguard with this motor ? (Especially with an internal gear hub). Any recommendations or warnings on compatibility ?

I'm about to order one of those :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Hebie ... nt-p29665/

Thanks
Yes, the chainglider works like a charm. Be sure to take the right sizes front and rear though.
Screenshot_20190530-134402.png
Is this with original 42t chainring? Is there really enough space between the tsdz2 housing and chainring for a hebie chainglider?

Retrorockit   10 W

10 W
Posts: 84
Joined: Feb 08 2019 12:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Retrorockit » May 30 2019 10:56am

knutselmaaster wrote:
May 30 2019 6:44am
el_proletario wrote:
May 30 2019 6:28am
Did some of you install a chainguard with this motor ? (Especially with an internal gear hub). Any recommendations or warnings on compatibility ?

I'm about to order one of those :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Hebie ... nt-p29665/

Thanks
Yes, the chainglider works like a charm. Be sure to take the right sizes front and rear though.
Screenshot_20190530-134402.png
What IGH is that? I have Shimano Nexus 7 and the chainline and shifter are a possible issue. I'd love to do that.

knutselmaaster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 267
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by knutselmaaster » May 30 2019 5:17pm

It is a nexus 8. Chainline is perfect. Everything is original, no problems with the space between the motor housing and the chainring, no problems with the space between the chainring and the bashgard. I used the 42t chainglider in the front (short version) and the one suitable for 18t in the rear.
In any case, the chainglider is suitable for nexus and alfine hubs, I have it on several bikes in my shop.

la8rat   1 W

1 W
Posts: 59
Joined: Mar 12 2019 10:34am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by la8rat » May 31 2019 3:06am

btslo wrote:
May 30 2019 7:30am
la8rat wrote:
May 30 2019 6:16am
btslo wrote:
May 30 2019 3:37am
Do these chainrings fit? I want to go 36t from the stock 42

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Bicycle-F ... SwJoxc0oTz
yes it will fit i swapped mine out for a 36 chain ring as well, on 26 inch wheels and a fairly standard mountain bike casset i find the gearing to be perfect with the assist.

i would try to find a narrow wide style chain ring though, i splashed out on a hope one but raceface and others make them.they are much better at keeping your chain on.
Ugh, just hate that 5x110 selection is limited and very expensive. Just installed 11-40 cassette (had 11-34), wonder how much easier it will be. Still want 36t on front though.
I have the narrow wide because i do a lot of off road rough stuff. And the 36 because its very hilly where i am. If you dont do to much rough stuff or you have a clutch rear mech you will be fine with a standard pattern chain ring, you could also try one of those plastic chain devices that screw on near the chain ring to help keep chain on.

hefest   10 W

10 W
Posts: 83
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » May 31 2019 5:10am

knutselmaaster wrote:
May 30 2019 5:17pm
It is a nexus 8. Chainline is perfect. Everything is original, no problems with the space between the motor housing and the chainring, no problems with the space between the chainring and the bashgard. I used the 42t chainglider in the front (short version) and the one suitable for 18t in the rear.
In any case, the chainglider is suitable for nexus and alfine hubs, I have it on several bikes in my shop.
I already had Chainglider before tsdz2 but it was for 38t front 19t back. Now it's 42t front and 19t. I guess I just need to get the front part of the Chainglider ordered for 42t, but I was skeptical about it fitting. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of chainguards, I tried the "Biologic freedrive" approach with 10mm split tubing like this one. It's rubbing against the TSDZ2 housing.

User avatar
Aquakitty   100 W

100 W
Posts: 141
Joined: Jun 10 2017 3:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Aquakitty » Jun 01 2019 6:18pm

Hey all wow this is a huge thread to go through, so I thought I'd ask, is there a consensus on how to install "safely" without needing to use the frame clamp?

I am installing to full suspension bikes and while I can fab some supports/clamps be nice if I didn't have to like with the Bafang.
Rans Enduro Sport w/Sturmey-Archer XFRD8, TSDZ2 open source mod 48v
GT Verb Comp f/s TSDZ2 open source 48v
Diadora Ampio bargain f/s TSDZ2 48v
2020 Diamant 247 belt drive 1000w 9C 48v
Hardtail made from random bits I had laying around, ginormous old Marzocchi fork, BBS02

Retrorockit   10 W

10 W
Posts: 84
Joined: Feb 08 2019 12:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Retrorockit » Jun 02 2019 2:06am

knutselmaaster wrote:
May 30 2019 5:17pm
It is a nexus 8. Chainline is perfect. Everything is original, no problems with the space between the motor housing and the chainring, no problems with the space between the chainring and the bashgard. I used the 42t chainglider in the front (short version) and the one suitable for 18t in the rear.
In any case, the chainglider is suitable for nexus and alfine hubs, I have it on several bikes in my shop.
Thank you very much. Chaincases are almost unkown here in the US. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one. I have a TSDZ2 Nexus 7 bike. 44x19 gearing. What do you guys do for chain maintenenace with those? How is it different than an exposed chain? Maybe a wet lube but less often?

knutselmaaster   100 W

100 W
Posts: 267
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by knutselmaaster » Jun 02 2019 6:57am

Retrorockit wrote:
Jun 02 2019 2:06am
knutselmaaster wrote:
May 30 2019 5:17pm
It is a nexus 8. Chainline is perfect. Everything is original, no problems with the space between the motor housing and the chainring, no problems with the space between the chainring and the bashgard. I used the 42t chainglider in the front (short version) and the one suitable for 18t in the rear.
In any case, the chainglider is suitable for nexus and alfine hubs, I have it on several bikes in my shop.
Thank you very much. Chaincases are almost unkown here in the US. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one. I have a TSDZ2 Nexus 7 bike. 44x19 gearing. What do you guys do for chain maintenenace with those? How is it different than an exposed chain? Maybe a wet lube but less often?
I could sell you one and send it to the US but that will probably get quite expensive.
Don't hesitate to PM me.

Chain maintenance is minimal, some drops of oil every few months is more than enough when a bike has a decent chain case. The lubrifiant of a new chain lasts for ages already.

Post Reply