So, I was going to chime in with another "me too!" about Eye being a good vendor, but I'd just gotten a replacement VLCD-5 from him for one that didn't work right
and hooked it up and the damned thing - new one - didn't work at all!!
... OK, by "at all," I mean that the throttle system didn't work. This was a vital point for me because I have an injured leg and can't add much of any power to the bike on my own - which is why I have a throttled system in the first place. (It did power up.) I was pretty annoyed, pissed off, etc, BUT, I knew better;
it was late, maybe I made a mistake
, bent a pin, etc. So, I did the right thing and STFU already.
The next day I had some time and went methodically through it. I unplugged everything and checked, no bent pins. Got it all back together and I was thinking I'd have the same result because I found no errors... BUT NO! It worked fine!
I can just guess that unplugging and re-plugging had fixed some glitch somewhere. A good guess would be one of the throttle-related parts. A brake cut-out switch could have prevented the motor from turning at all, or the throttle might have not been fully seated or something and so it didn't get the signal. ... I really don't know what it was, but today I took it out on a ride!
Today I went 7 miles with the San Rafael - the bike whose VLCD-5 just got changed - over virtually flat ground (doubt there was 10' in elevation change over any of it - just curbs and the like), at about 10' above sea level, towing my usual trailer, one way empty and the other way loaded with around 100 lbs - and me at around 200 lbs (6'3") and the bike itself - not quite but almost entirely using the throttle and with me putting in some but not much energy due to my bum knee. I started with a freshly charged battery and recharged when I got back. Traffic was fairly light but there were lots of stops and I went as fast as I could. I was shocked I got it up to around 24 MPH,
though most of the trip was peaking more like 20 and ... I forgot to capture the average, but it's still in the bike if I go look! AND... It took 3.41 Ah to do those 7 miles. I was most pleased when I got it up over 20 MPH in fairly thick traffic for all of a half mile or so, and I got a lot of respect from drivers who, I imagine, were thinking that here's a bike pulling a loaded trailer at over 20?! Bravo!
There were no near-misses this time!
Here's the charger following the top-up after the trip:
So, that's 0.49 amp hours per mile, or, 2.05 amp hours per mile! Not bad, methinks! Now, it's true, back in June when I was in good shape (before I injured my leg), riding my Legran (with TSDZ2 48V 15A), I could get a lot more than THREE TIMES that, not much short of four times, I still consider this an awesome feat. With the Legran, I think my theoretical maximum range is around 95 miles, give or take a few, and the theoretical here is only around 26.
It's also worth reporting that I got better miles per hour by LOWERING the gear from top gear some. I think I was in 52 X 13 or maybe 52 X 15 when I reached around 24 MPH. When I was in 52 X 11, it was more like 17 or 18 MPH max. ALSO worth noting that I have 29" tires! AND, this is one of those special 18A units Eye sells; I bumped up the setting in the VLCD-5 to .. um... I think 30A!
Another point worth mentioning is that after I left I noticed I had a low front tire. However, I didn't bother to fix it due to time - I had to run this errand without additional delay. I DID have a hand pump with me (and enough spares on board to replace a flat if need-be), but my plan was to keep a sharp eye on it and stop and add air if ever it became a real issue. But, it didn't change much on the trip. However, low air pressure will increase rolling resistance considerably and thereby decrease efficiency and top speed, so again, with today's result I'm pretty happy.