New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by izeman » Mar 11 2020 10:06am

I finished my bike today. Have the Alfine 11 installed, and a 52T front ring, 20T in the back. But this is to high geared. I will revert to the original 42T next and try that. Also have 16T, 18T and 23T for the back to try and get the optimal setup.

IMG_3338.JPG
IMG_3338.JPG (282.96 KiB) Viewed 657 times

john61ct   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3637
Joined: Dec 18 2018 2:06pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by john61ct » Mar 11 2020 2:30pm

Interesting, can you link to the frame?

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New

Post by izeman » Mar 12 2020 3:38am

john61ct wrote:
Mar 11 2020 2:30pm
Interesting, can you link to the frame?
HAHA, that frame is SUPER old. Got it for my 20th birthday i think. And I'm turning 50 now :lol:
The bike was called Klein Mantra Comp. Made unique by a rear suspension system that only worked when you sat on the saddle, and not while pedaling standing. Well it doesn't work out really well, and is not used nowadays. The rear frame part is handmade from steel by me. Check my two build threads from the signature to get more details if you like 8)

maximusdm   10 W

10 W
Posts: 90
Joined: Sep 08 2018 12:51pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by maximusdm » Mar 12 2020 5:36am

casainho wrote:
Mar 11 2020 7:05am
maximusdm wrote:
Mar 11 2020 6:47am
Hello,

I just replaced the torque sensor and performed the manual calibration. The 2 bolts on the sensor are well tight.
I set it as it shows 125 units on standby and a max of 275.
The problem is as I use the bike the standby value increases with each use. Now it is at 230. :(
I did this process 2 times and it happens the same!

Any ideas why?
1. If I understand correctly, are the stand by values always changing up or down a lot on every usage?
2. Or, the values are only changing up on every usage?

If 1., I would say your torque sensor is somehow faulty.

If 2., I would say for you to keep using until it will probably stabilize around a constant standby value.
It always goes up close to the max value.
After installation the ADC value was 170. Yesterday was 220. Now it shows 240 and the motor barely has enough torque to engage.
It might be a problem if the torque sensor is moving slightly in the motor frame. I used some grease to insert easier into the frame with less force to avoid damaging it.

hefest   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » Mar 12 2020 10:38am

Since today my battery is shutting down as soon as I connect it to motor. Led on the battery stops responding and than goes back to life once i restart the battery. I assume BMS shuts the battery down for whatever reason.

When I test the motor power leads (+ and - wire that goes to the motor) for continuity with multimeter, I'm getting short circuit, is this normal?
Since I can remember when connecting powered battery to the battery holder I could hear sparking, is this normal?

I'm running open source firmware on motor and tried connecting motor to computer and flashing the firmware again, everything works.
Battery is 48V one and current voltage is 51V.

Any ideas?

RicMcK   10 W

10 W
Posts: 72
Joined: Jun 19 2019 9:12am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by RicMcK » Mar 12 2020 10:55am

Installing brake switches?
I'm starting to configure my tandem for a TDSZ2, and I want to install brake switches. What is the preferred way to wire then up using a 850C display, and a 6 pin out from the motor?

Thanks
Rick Seattle WA

Retrorockit   100 W

100 W
Posts: 129
Joined: Feb 08 2019 12:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Retrorockit » Mar 12 2020 11:56am

izeman wrote:
Mar 11 2020 10:06am
I finished my bike today. Have the Alfine 11 installed, and a 52T front ring, 20T in the back. But this is to high geared. I will revert to the original 42T next and try that. Also have 16T, 18T and 23T for the back to try and get the optimal setup.
The IGH hubs almost always have an overdrive function the casettes don't provide. This can work well for small wheel bikes and wide rear hubs that can run small chainrings in front.
Sheldon Browns gear calculator has the IGH hubs in it and can let you see what you will have for gearing. You can input several chainrings and rear cogs at once if you like. The chart gets complex but it CAN do it.
https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by izeman » Mar 12 2020 12:29pm

I know Sheldon's calculator. Very nice thing. Still it can only give a rough idea about what to expect. You need to ride the bike (especially with a motor) to see if the gearing works for your special demand. Especially if you never took much care for cadence and such and just pedaled slow or fast or in between :wink: without knowing the RPM.
If you gear your bike for 55km/h @90rpm in highest gear, than it is too HIGH, as you will pedal much faster when going downhill, and I can only reach that speed for a short period on steep downhill roads. That's why I will go back to 42T.

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by izeman » Mar 12 2020 12:40pm

RicMcK wrote:
Mar 12 2020 10:55am
Installing brake switches?
I'm starting to configure my tandem for a TDSZ2, and I want to install brake switches. What is the preferred way to wire then up using a 850C display, and a 6 pin out from the motor?
I had to do that as well, and didn't want to cut any connector from the motor or the display. So i bought 2 extension wires. One that connects to the display (6 pins) and one that connects to the motor (7 pins). The later one includes the purple wire for the brake signal. I cut the two unneeded ends and soldered the wires together, splicing in the brake signal.

RicMcK   10 W

10 W
Posts: 72
Joined: Jun 19 2019 9:12am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by RicMcK » Mar 12 2020 2:22pm

izeman wrote:
Mar 12 2020 12:40pm
RicMcK wrote:
Mar 12 2020 10:55am
Installing brake switches?
I'm starting to configure my tandem for a TDSZ2, and I want to install brake switches. What is the preferred way to wire then up using a 850C display, and a 6 pin out from the motor?
I had to do that as well, and didn't want to cut any connector from the motor or the display. So i bought 2 extension wires. One that connects to the display (6 pins) and one that connects to the motor (7 pins). The later one includes the purple wire for the brake signal. I cut the two unneeded ends and soldered the wires together, splicing in the brake signal.
Thanks. Where did you get the connectors-wire cables?
Rick Seattle WA

hefest   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » Mar 12 2020 2:28pm

hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 10:38am
Since today my battery is shutting down as soon as I connect it to motor. Led on the battery stops responding and than goes back to life once i restart the battery. I assume BMS shuts the battery down for whatever reason.

When I test the motor power leads (+ and - wire that goes to the motor) for continuity with multimeter, I'm getting short circuit, is this normal?
Since I can remember when connecting powered battery to the battery holder I could hear sparking, is this normal?

I'm running open source firmware on motor and tried connecting motor to computer and flashing the firmware again, everything works.
Battery is 48V one and current voltage is 51V.

Any ideas?
No one?
Can someone measure across motor power connector (with disconnected battery) for continuity/short circuit, I would be grateful.

skestans   100 W

100 W
Posts: 122
Joined: Jul 12 2019 12:42am
Location: Luxembourg

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by skestans » Mar 12 2020 2:46pm

hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:28pm
No one?
Can someone measure across motor power connector (with disconnected battery) for continuity/short circuit, I would be grateful.
Infinite resistance/no continuity

hefest   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » Mar 12 2020 2:47pm

skestans wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:46pm
hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:28pm
No one?
Can someone measure across motor power connector (with disconnected battery) for continuity/short circuit, I would be grateful.
Infinite resistance/no continuity
Yeah, I expected that, thanks.
Not sure what happened there since I'm succesfully flashing the controller so the controller is not dead.

Retrorockit   100 W

100 W
Posts: 129
Joined: Feb 08 2019 12:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Retrorockit » Mar 12 2020 5:40pm

izeman wrote:
Mar 12 2020 12:29pm
I know Sheldon's calculator. Very nice thing. Still it can only give a rough idea about what to expect. You need to ride the bike (especially with a motor) to see if the gearing works for your special demand. Especially if you never took much care for cadence and such and just pedaled slow or fast or in between :wink: without knowing the RPM.
If you gear your bike for 55km/h @90rpm in highest gear, than it is too HIGH, as you will pedal much faster when going downhill, and I can only reach that speed for a short period on steep downhill roads. That's why I will go back to 42T.
The TSDZ2 stop assist at 90rpm, so that's known, and the calculator can solve for other rpm levels. From 40-120 RPM.

bergerandfries   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 02 2019 9:47pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by bergerandfries » Mar 12 2020 8:48pm

hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:47pm
skestans wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:46pm
hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:28pm
No one?
Can someone measure across motor power connector (with disconnected battery) for continuity/short circuit, I would be grateful.
Infinite resistance/no continuity
Yeah, I expected that, thanks.
Not sure what happened there since I'm succesfully flashing the controller so the controller is not dead.
Silly question, but you are sure the wiring from battery to motor is good all of the way? Is it possible insulation was worn off and positive lead is touching negative lead?

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4094
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 13 2020 6:36am

860C display is now working on our OpenSource firmware

Finally I got it working and would not be possible without the help of Electrify Bike and Eco Cycles shops.

The 860C is clearly an important improvement over 850C, you can see here the comparison table I wrote: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... comparison

Image

Both side by side at dark, it is hard to see on the photo the differences, at least the higher screen size can be seen:
Image
Last edited by casainho on Mar 13 2020 6:42am, edited 1 time in total.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

hefest   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » Mar 13 2020 6:40am

bergerandfries wrote:
Mar 12 2020 8:48pm
hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:47pm
skestans wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:46pm
hefest wrote:
Mar 12 2020 2:28pm
No one?
Can someone measure across motor power connector (with disconnected battery) for continuity/short circuit, I would be grateful.
Infinite resistance/no continuity
Yeah, I expected that, thanks.
Not sure what happened there since I'm succesfully flashing the controller so the controller is not dead.
Silly question, but you are sure the wiring from battery to motor is good all of the way? Is it possible insulation was worn off and positive lead is touching negative lead?
Short circuit/continuity on these two, so battery leads are not the issue. How is this possible when there are no clear signs of shorting out on controller.
Image

Image
Last edited by hefest on Mar 13 2020 7:00am, edited 1 time in total.

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4094
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 13 2020 6:45am

hefest wrote:
Mar 13 2020 6:40am
Short circuit/continuity on these two, so battery leads are not the issue. How is this possible when there are no clear signs of shorting out on controller.
Image
The controller is not a simple thing, it is not easy to see why it may be failing.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

hefest   100 W

100 W
Posts: 140
Joined: Jan 11 2019 4:55am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by hefest » Mar 13 2020 7:04am

Anyone willing to sell 48v controller in Europe?

Pswpower will send the one I ordered in a month, who know when it's going to arrive.

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by izeman » Mar 13 2020 7:24am

Casainho you write "860C/850C has a specific hardware to keep counting time even when it is disabled or when you remove the ebike battery.". For my bike this is working somehow, and it shows "some" time when I turn it on the other day. But it's not the correct time.
What is needed to keep the time working? Does the display need to be turned for a specific time to charge the internal battery (I guess it has one). Or is it a "normal" battery that may be depleted?

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4094
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 13 2020 7:28am

izeman wrote:
Mar 13 2020 7:24am
Casainho you write "860C/850C has a specific hardware to keep counting time even when it is disabled or when you remove the ebike battery.". For my bike this is working somehow, and it shows "some" time when I turn it on the other day. But it's not the correct time.
What is needed to keep the time working? Does the display need to be turned for a specific time to charge the internal battery (I guess it has one). Or is it a "normal" battery that may be depleted?
That happens also on may displays, maybe it is an issue on the firmware...
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by izeman » Mar 13 2020 7:42am

casainho wrote:
Mar 13 2020 7:28am
That happens also on may displays, maybe it is an issue on the firmware...
That's good to know. If it's software I'm sure you will solve it. Better than having to deal with a hardware defect that is not clearly to be identified. It's no important feature at all, but if there is a clock shown (which is super nice) it should work, or it will drive me mad 8)

bergerandfries   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 02 2019 9:47pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by bergerandfries » Mar 13 2020 10:30am

izeman wrote:
Mar 13 2020 7:24am
Casainho you write "860C/850C has a specific hardware to keep counting time even when it is disabled or when you remove the ebike battery.". For my bike this is working somehow, and it shows "some" time when I turn it on the other day. But it's not the correct time.
What is needed to keep the time working? Does the display need to be turned for a specific time to charge the internal battery (I guess it has one). Or is it a "normal" battery that may be depleted?
I am running stock 52v firmware on the motor and euronau firmware on the 850c, and it also does the same. I usually turn off things by flipping off the switch on my battery, but I will start using the actual power off button on the 850c first and see if that resolves the issue

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5048
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by izeman » Mar 13 2020 12:20pm

bergerandfries wrote:
Mar 13 2020 10:30am
I am running stock 52v firmware on the motor and euronau firmware on the 850c, and it also does the same. I usually turn off things by flipping off the switch on my battery, but I will start using the actual power off button on the 850c first and see if that resolves the issue
Now that you mention it: That's the way I normally do it as well. Never powered the system down with the remote button. I always disconnect the battery by turning off the BMS.

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4094
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Mar 13 2020 3:29pm

New firmware release, 860C display now works!!

Changelog:
- Ebike 860C display now works!! (note that there may be some bugs)
- Corrected issue where current battery Wh was not correctly being shown
- Corrected graph auto max and min and added the semi automatic option
- Removed configuration for battery cells number as it was not really relevant

Get it here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... 102_v0.6.9
Last edited by casainho on Mar 13 2020 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

Post Reply