New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Krele   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 11 2020 9:59pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Krele » Sep 18 2020 6:32am

famichiki wrote:
Sep 13 2020 7:55pm
Krele wrote:
Sep 12 2020 3:06am
I've done ~27000 km, still on original blue gear.
Have a look at the plastic cable cover and see if you have any wear over the pinion gear area. Do you know if your motor is the original model with straight gears or the new model with helical gears? If it's the newer model have a read of this, it really needs some modifications to reduce the chances of destroying the torque sensor.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108017
Hi Famichiki,

Thanks for reply, it's motor with straight gear. After few more rides when drag starts to occur motor gets noisier and power display is stuck on the same number. I'm starting to think it's mechanical issue. I've ordered new blue gear and will replace bearings on small drive shaft as motor has ~27000km, good mileage with original parts. Maybe is time for overdue service.

Cheers,

Swannking   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: May 03 2020 1:23pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Swannking » Sep 18 2020 1:16pm

After climbing more than 2000ft up Mt Diablo, I think my recumbent trike can use a smaller chainring. I doubled up the 52T with the stock offset 42T. I need to place washers to clear the inner ring from the motor housing. Although I can’t shift it with a derailleur since the boom doesn’t have the derailleur post, I don’t think the derailleur would reach without more modification. On the good note, I can change it manually when the trike is stationary without difficulties.
Attachments
B4143F5D-9DFF-4CAC-852E-6C2A6359D5CF.jpeg
B4143F5D-9DFF-4CAC-852E-6C2A6359D5CF.jpeg (442.53 KiB) Viewed 907 times
FDDEC0B7-BFA4-48CC-9777-52903C8BDC9D.jpeg
FDDEC0B7-BFA4-48CC-9777-52903C8BDC9D.jpeg (235.94 KiB) Viewed 907 times

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4627
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Sep 18 2020 1:26pm

Swannking wrote:
Sep 18 2020 1:16pm
After climbing more than 2000ft up Mt Diablo, I think my recumbent trike can use a smaller chainring. I doubled up the 52T with the stock offset 42T. I need to place washers to clear the inner ring from the motor housing. Although I can’t shift it with a derailleur since the boom doesn’t have the derailleur post, I don’t think the derailleur would reach without more modification. On the good note, I can change it manually when the trike is stationary without difficulties.
Really nice view and trike!!
I use 34T on my ebike, it well.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

Wapous   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 15
Joined: Oct 30 2019 9:33pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Wapous » Sep 18 2020 6:58pm

I am awaiting delivery of my new torque sensor because the original has just died.
And in my opinion, the culprit is not the bearing system but a shim that was originally too thin or has worn out prematurely.
In the photo we see a shim which is very thin, too thin.

NOTE 1: The distance between these two surfaces should be approximately 1mm. (Including the shim) Otherwise the torque sensor rotor will have too much pressure on the stator.

I assume the original shim material is made of teflon.
I will have to add one or more shims to respect the distance of 1 mm. At this distance the three stator springs will exert sufficient pressure.
Km on this motor: 8000.
48v 750W New version.
Attachments
Stator problems.jpg
Stator problems.jpg (340.77 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Note 1.jpg
See Note 1
Note 1.jpg (336.09 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Original shim.jpg
Original shim.jpg (353.68 KiB) Viewed 878 times

famichiki   100 W

100 W
Posts: 272
Joined: Jul 12 2019 9:00am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by famichiki » Sep 18 2020 10:16pm

Wapous wrote:
Sep 18 2020 6:58pm
I am awaiting delivery of my new torque sensor because the original has just died.
And in my opinion, the culprit is not the bearing system but a shim that was originally too thin or has worn out prematurely.
In the photo we see a shim which is very thin, too thin.

NOTE 1: The distance between these two surfaces should be approximately 1mm. (Including the shim) Otherwise the torque sensor rotor will have too much pressure on the stator.

I assume the original shim material is made of teflon.
I will have to add one or more shims to respect the distance of 1 mm. At this distance the three stator springs will exert sufficient pressure.
Km on this motor: 8000.
48v 750W New version.
I have 2 of those teflon washers on my motor, 0.4mm and 0.5mm. I think they weren't even present at all on older motors and were probably added due to the change in the torque sensor design which raises the sprag clutch and big gear off the sensor disc without using brass shim washers. Unfortunately they aren't available separately and do not come with the replacement torque sensors. Skived teflon sheet can be used as an alternative for cutting your own out.
https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/virgin ... eets-range

I recommend sanding the motor case protrusion smooth where they contact, mine looked smooth at first but felt a little rough and has been scratching the washer. Also file off the sharp edges around the outside of the protrusion.
motor-case.jpg
motor-case.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Did you read the other threads about how the helical gearing pulls the gears together and can possibly cause the torque sensor rubbing and failure? It seems one of the springs and nipples was removed to help alleviate this problem. Perhaps it also caused your teflon washer to wear quicker.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108017
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=105177

Also where has the low friction material gone from the coils, did you remove it? I think this is teflon coated glass fabric like this:
https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/ptfe-glass-cloth-range
Attachments
teflon-washers1-s.jpg
teflon-washers1-s.jpg (188.08 KiB) Viewed 867 times
teflon-washers2-s.jpg
teflon-washers2-s.jpg (174.95 KiB) Viewed 867 times

Wapous   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 15
Joined: Oct 30 2019 9:33pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Wapous » Sep 19 2020 3:04am

famichiki wrote:
Sep 18 2020 10:16pm
Wapous wrote:
Sep 18 2020 6:58pm
I am awaiting delivery of my new torque sensor because the original has just died.
And in my opinion, the culprit is not the bearing system but a shim that was originally too thin or has worn out prematurely.
In the photo we see a shim which is very thin, too thin.

NOTE 1: The distance between these two surfaces should be approximately 1mm. (Including the shim) Otherwise the torque sensor rotor will have too much pressure on the stator.

I assume the original shim material is made of teflon.
I will have to add one or more shims to respect the distance of 1 mm. At this distance the three stator springs will exert sufficient pressure.
Km on this motor: 8000.
48v 750W New version.
I have 2 of those teflon washers on my motor, 0.4mm and 0.5mm. I think they weren't even present at all on older motors and were probably added due to the change in the torque sensor design which raises the sprag clutch and big gear off the sensor disc without using brass shim washers. Unfortunately they aren't available separately and do not come with the replacement torque sensors. Skived teflon sheet can be used as an alternative for cutting your own out.
https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/virgin ... eets-range

I recommend sanding the motor case protrusion smooth where they contact, mine looked smooth at first but felt a little rough and has been scratching the washer. Also file off the sharp edges around the outside of the protrusion.

motor-case.jpg

Did you read the other threads about how the helical gearing pulls the gears together and can possibly cause the torque sensor rubbing and failure? It seems one of the springs and nipples was removed to help alleviate this problem. Perhaps it also caused your teflon washer to wear quicker.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108017
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=105177
Also where has the low friction material gone from the coils, did you remove it? I think this is teflon coated glass fabric like this:
https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/ptfe-glass-cloth-range
No, it was like that when I disassembled the torque sensor for the first time. It seems that the material which covered the coils has been completely sandblasted. Nothing remains!

Thank you for the information.

famichiki   100 W

100 W
Posts: 272
Joined: Jul 12 2019 9:00am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by famichiki » Sep 19 2020 3:25am

Wapous wrote:
Sep 19 2020 3:04am
No, it was like that when I disassembled the torque sensor for the first time. It seems that the material which covered the coils has been completely sandblasted. Nothing remains!

Thank you for the information.
It looks more like the material was never fitted to begin with. I've never seen a replacement for sale like that, but someone else's failed and was missing the material too. Perhaps the constant friction has caused yours to overheat and crack. But 8000km is a good distance if this is your first problem!
viewtopic.php?t=79788&start=6350#p1520207

tricz   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 19 2020 10:21am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by tricz » Sep 19 2020 10:26am

Does anyone know what that sound like? What could it be?
Below is a video with assist
https://youtu.be/sKtnDLd_Fkw

And a film without any assist
https://youtu.be/YCPraJ_jyEM

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4627
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Sep 19 2020 10:38am

tricz wrote:
Sep 19 2020 10:26am
Does anyone know what that sound like? What could it be?
Below is a video with assist
https://youtu.be/sKtnDLd_Fkw

And a film without any assist
https://youtu.be/YCPraJ_jyEM
I could not understand well. If is metalic sound that happens when you push harder, may be the fix from the crancks, you need probably to tight the screws.

Or maybe is the blue gear, if the motor does not pull at 100%.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

tricz   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 19 2020 10:21am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by tricz » Sep 19 2020 10:42am

casainho wrote:
Sep 19 2020 10:38am
tricz wrote:
Sep 19 2020 10:26am
Does anyone know what that sound like? What could it be?
Below is a video with assist
https://youtu.be/sKtnDLd_Fkw

And a film without any assist
https://youtu.be/YCPraJ_jyEM
I could not understand well. If is metalic sound that happens when you push harder, may be the fix from the crancks, you need probably to tight the screws.

Or maybe is the blue gear, if the motor does not pull at 100%.
I changed the cranks and tightened them to the maximum. I also changed the blue gear but that didn't help. The engines are about 1100km.
The metallic sound can also be heard on tsdz2 only without pedalling.

Swannking   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: May 03 2020 1:23pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Swannking » Sep 19 2020 5:27pm

Is it possible that the noise is unrelated to the motor? Did you check your drive train, may be the chain or the chainring are worn.

User avatar
jbalat   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 603
Joined: Nov 10 2012 11:50pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by jbalat » Sep 19 2020 7:00pm

Swannking wrote:
Sep 19 2020 5:27pm
Is it possible that the noise is unrelated to the motor? Did you check your drive train, may be the chain or the chainring are worn.
Yeh it did sound like the blue gear but without power that wouldn’t happen, maybe just check everything is tight, like the spider and chainring, check the motor isn’t moving around and that it is seated properly and has a rubber piece between the motor and frame. Check peddles. Funny enough but it could even be the seat post or suspension joints or a rear wheel bearing that’s gone (you can check this by taking back wheel off and spinning it in your fingers to see if you feel anything). these creaks are pretty hard to diagnose since they echo through the entire frame.

if it is the motor then you will need to take it apart again and regrease it and check for any play. Check all the bearings too to make sure they spin smoothly.
Please subscribe to my Youtube home page for Quadcopters, FPV and Bike Rides http://www.youtube.com/jbalatutube
My build log here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=55352
For some cool ebike talk join us on The Best ebike https://www.facebook.com/groups/193581737807033/
Tech talk TSDZ2 Opensource firmware https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... &start=150
Opensource TSDZ2 Wiki https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... _wiki/wiki

Swannking   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: May 03 2020 1:23pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Swannking » Sep 19 2020 7:42pm

Swannking wrote:
Sep 18 2020 1:16pm
After climbing more than 2000ft up Mt Diablo, I think my recumbent trike can use a smaller chainring. I doubled up the 52T with the stock offset 42T. I need to place washers to clear the inner ring from the motor housing. Although I can’t shift it with a derailleur since the boom doesn’t have the derailleur post, I don’t think the derailleur would reach without more modification. On the good note, I can change it manually when the trike is stationary without difficulties.
I did another ride today using the 42T chainring with a max climb of almost 17%. It was much easier on the motor. It is also cooler this morning which helps.
Attachments
Screenshots_2020-09-19-17-43-39.png
Screenshots_2020-09-19-17-43-39.png (337.84 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Mr.Flibble   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: May 05 2020 7:16am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Mr.Flibble » Sep 20 2020 6:17am

AZUR wrote:
Sep 13 2020 12:06pm
Hi all,

I would like to share with the Forum what I did on the TSDZ2 engine to improve heat dissipation.

Part 3

3 - Lubricate the engine with a grease suitable for nylon Blue Gear.
I lubricated with a grease that is used to lubricate the nylon gears in the wind turbines. I used the Molykote PG-65 grease.

I applied Molykote both on Blue Gear and internally on the bearings as well as on all metal gears.
The engine was running much quieter.

Below are some pictures.
Very nice!!
Transmitting the heat to the casing,then increasing the surface area to get rid of said heat.

Would the fins be better aligned with the airflow?

Mr.Flibble   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: May 05 2020 7:16am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Mr.Flibble » Sep 20 2020 6:22am

charakaSamawry wrote:
Sep 15 2020 11:25am
Found an eBay with a selection of greases available in the uk. https://ebay.co.uk/usr/cbennissupplies

But it’s my first time servicing my tsdz2 (which am glad I chose to do so because the grease has seen better days), didn’t think about the complexities of grease lol.

Which grease do I need for the,
Big main gear? with the sprag clutch bearing in it And that engages with a little gear. On the drive side. Does the bearing spray clutch in that need different treatment? Looks like it has a seal covering the rollers and pawls at least
And the blue gear?
And the bearing inside that?

So far looked at these,
Blue lithium complex HT EP https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391759918214
White lithium calcium https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391512674311
‘Red Tacky HT, WR Synthetic’ (Red aluminium complex 2T) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392805250817
Black moly‘ lithium CV joint Grease https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173461572292
Lithium ep2 Moly’ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173824885606
This one sounds Good, Castrol Spheerol EPL 2 Castrol Spheerol EPL 2 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174133921159
Unsure about this one but it said something about no petroleum distillates
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391687934040
Polyurea Heavy duty gc-lb? Urea means it doesn’t hurt plastic right? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171345385698

Anyway seems he has a lot of different greases and I’m more confused as to what I need now?
any more advice on my first service Would be much appreciated. Things to check and worth replacing?
The "official" grease only seems to come in giant buckets, and costs the gdp of a small country.
I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobil-Mobili ... 2749.l2649 which is the new version of the "offical" bafang grease, and has the advantage of costing less than a new motor.

AZUR   100 W

100 W
Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 05 2018 6:52am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by AZUR » Sep 20 2020 10:26am

Mr.Flibble wrote:
Sep 20 2020 6:17am
AZUR wrote:
Sep 13 2020 12:06pm
Hi all,

I would like to share with the Forum what I did on the TSDZ2 engine to improve heat dissipation.

Part 3

3 - Lubricate the engine with a grease suitable for nylon Blue Gear.
I lubricated with a grease that is used to lubricate the nylon gears in the wind turbines. I used the Molykote PG-65 grease.

I applied Molykote both on Blue Gear and internally on the bearings as well as on all metal gears.
The engine was running much quieter.

Below are some pictures.
Very nice!!
Transmitting the heat to the casing,then increasing the surface area to get rid of said heat.

Would the fins be better aligned with the airflow?
Thanks Mr.Flibble,

I was inspired on Bafang.
Attachments
alhetas bafang.jpg
alhetas bafang.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 728 times
bafang.jpg
bafang.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 728 times

famichiki   100 W

100 W
Posts: 272
Joined: Jul 12 2019 9:00am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by famichiki » Sep 20 2020 7:54pm

charakaSamawry wrote:
Sep 15 2020 11:25am
Anyway seems he has a lot of different greases and I’m more confused as to what I need now?
any more advice on my first service Would be much appreciated. Things to check and worth replacing?
I wouldn't touch the sprag clutch or roller clutch inside the blue gear in case they start slipping. But since you are in the UK, the easiest solution is to order a small container of Molycote PG-75 from Performance Line Bearings and use that for everything else as it's safe for plastic gears.
https://www.performancelinebearings.com ... ke-motors/

sysrq   100 W

100 W
Posts: 172
Joined: May 07 2018 6:05pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by sysrq » Sep 22 2020 9:26am

Can bbt-18 8 notch tool be used on TSDZ2 BB locknut. Decided to cut the one supplied with the motor so that it can be used while riding without removing the crank. Turns out it's too flimsy for that. Can't seem to find anything else (castle socket with 40mm inner diameter, cup and cone BB locknut is 41.17mm). Hook wrench keeps slipping. Probably will have to grease the drive side BB attachment point and inner shell to minimise the probability of frame damage while using blue locktite on notched locknut. The upper plate of anti-rotation bracket also seems to be bending slowly while tightening the bolt, so that one also has to be tightened periodically.
Last edited by sysrq on Sep 22 2020 12:40pm, edited 6 times in total.

JaiCee   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: May 06 2019 4:57am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by JaiCee » Sep 22 2020 9:51am

Is anyone having any trouble with the light function with an SW102 controller? This used to work on an older version but over the summer I upgraded to the latest version and haven't used them. Now when I turn on the lights the power to the motor cuts out.

Retrorockit   100 W

100 W
Posts: 169
Joined: Feb 08 2019 12:07pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Retrorockit » Sep 23 2020 12:16am

AZUR wrote:
Sep 13 2020 11:42am
Hi all,

I would like to share with the Forum what I did on the TSDZ2 engine to improve heat dissipation.

Part 1

I acted in 3 areas:

1 - Installation of Thermal Pad according to what is described in this forum.
2 - Installation of heatsinks in the motor housing
3 - Lubricate the engine with a grease suitable for nylon Blue Gear.
I lubricated with a grease that is used to lubricate the nylon gears in the wind turbines. I used the Molykote PG-65 grease.

Below are some pictures.
On page 309 I posted about a motor heatsink I made. There was no photo so it's easy to miss. But I think the description is complete enough to build it. It's an aluminum ring that surrounds the armature and transfers heat to the cover, and the base plate of the motor. Thermal pads have heat conductance value of 6-12. Aluminum is 240. Plus this goes all the way around the motor. I think it would be a nice upgrade for what you've done. It would work well with the external heatsinks you've added. Technically it would be a "heatspreader" but that's what the TSDZ2 is missing.

Elinx   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 342
Joined: Aug 09 2019 6:58am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by Elinx » Sep 23 2020 2:03am

Retrorockit wrote:
Sep 23 2020 12:16am
AZUR wrote:
Sep 13 2020 11:42am
....
I would like to share with the Forum what I did on the TSDZ2 engine to improve heat dissipation.
.....
...
On page 309 I posted about a motor heatsink I made. There was no photo so it's easy to miss. .....
The improvements of your both I have mentioned too in the "Hardware temperature control tsdz2" topic
So it is more easy to find if some looks at that topic.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=102046&p=1585144#p1585144

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4627
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Sep 23 2020 8:46am

TSDZ2 pedal slipping / main gear bearing fail

On last days, me and my wife, we were far from home, on holidays. We had planned two full days riding our ebikes with TSDZ2. On first day my ebike TSDZ2 did fail and I was really upset!! My pedals were slipping and I could not pedal at all... I had to use the virtual throttle feature for over 20 kms to go back.

I was really upset at begin because I tough the issue were with the blue gear and this way there would not be a way to prevent this fail... but, then I could understand the issue was in the main gear other way the motor would not pull the chain ring. Then I realized I had some symptoms since some weeks ago that I just ignored because I thought the issue was with the cassette - I had was listening cracks when I did pedal harder.

I just updated the wiki TSDZ2 FAQ with the issues, possible causes and solution about pedal slipping mains gear:
When you start feeling some pedal slipping with chain ring not moving when you pedal, or some cracking noise when you pedal harder and the chain ring does not move, be aware because the main gear clutch/bearing may fail soon.
Comparing a Specialized EBike with TSDZ2 EBike

Image

I had to rent am ebike and I had the luck to be able to have a nice Specialized EBike that I was happy to compare with TSDZ2 EBike:
Advantages:
- more silent motor: a clear advantage on this Specialized EBike is the more silent motor, clearly TSDZ2 is noisier and I think it is due to using metal gears instead of belts.
- pair with my GPS unit / EBike wireless standard: this Specialized EBike could pair / connect wireless with my GPS Garmin that I use to travel and where I had the tracks / courses of my planned route

Disadvantages:
- limited assist levels, speed limit of 25 km/s and lack of customization: this EBike had only 3 different assist levels and I wanted to ride form 80 kms, on a flat surface. I decided to ride with assist level 1 to save battery and I found it was to much, I wanted to pedal harder because of fitness purposes and also to save the battery for that 80 kms. I found assist level 1 was to much and my effort was to little for what I wanted... and I could not go fast because it hit the 25 km/h limit.
My wife always use a bit more battery than me and she endup with 25% of battery SOC on his TSDZ2 EBike and I had to pedal the last 5 kms with this Specialized EBike, simple because I could not save battery, because the assist levels are not customized like on our OpenSource firmware for TSDZ2.
- incorrect battery SOC: the battery range on the display was not correct because the motor did stop at 8% SOC and I had to pedal the last 5 kms. That 8% SOC should be enough for that last 5 kms.
- heavier: because I always have to lift with my hand the EBikes to put on the car support, I also had to do this 4 times with this Specialized EBike and I found it heavier, even with my EBike with rear panniers and some tools inside.

Experiencing EBike wireless standard with the Specialized EBike

While I was riding I realized that this Specialized EBike is turned on in the battery and not on the display, like if the display is not really needed and quickly I figured out this model could implement the EBike wireless standard. See that I am in the middle of developing the same EBike wireless standard for TSDZ2.

I had my Garmin GPS unit on the handle bard already because I had our route planned and we were following it. I just had to go to wireless sensors configuration and click on discover new sensors and I got this ones from the Specialized EBike:

Image

Note that the heart rate sensor is the one from my watch:
Image

Then automatically the following main screens were added:

Image

EBike main screen to control assist level, see battery status and light status:
Image

At the end of our ride, on the Garmin app, we can see graphs of fitness and cycling metrics but also the pedal human power, speed and cadence were recorded:
Image

Image

And interesting is that there is a map showing the route but with color gradients that we can select for some variables and the pedal human power was available:

Image

Image
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

vass   1 W

1 W
Posts: 55
Joined: Jul 07 2020 3:57am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by vass » Sep 23 2020 9:17am

hehehe tsdz2 dont like portuguese people or the north, had also alot off issues when i was in vacations in Viana do Castelo.
In the end all off them were caused by my mistakes :) (bad soldering of the brake sensor and temp sensor overtightning the motor and riding on sand :roll: )

Also is it better to get a new main gear clutch or replace the bearing in the old one with a better one?
casainho wrote:
Sep 23 2020 8:46am
TSDZ2 pedal slipping / main gear bearing fail

On last days, me and my wife, we were far from home, on holidays. We had planned two full days riding our ebikes with TSDZ2. On first day my ebike TSDZ2 did fail and I was really upset!! My pedals were slipping and I could not pedal at all... I had to use the virtual throttle feature for over 20 kms to go back.

I was really upset at begin because I tough the issue were with the blue gear and this way there would not be a way to prevent this fail... but, then I could understand the issue was in the main gear other way the motor would not pull the chain ring. Then I realized I had some symptoms since some weeks ago that I just ignored because I thought the issue was with the cassette - I had was listening cracks when I did pedal harder.

I just updated the wiki TSDZ2 FAQ with the issues, possible causes and solution about pedal slipping mains gear:
When you start feeling some pedal slipping with chain ring not moving when you pedal, or some cracking noise when you pedal harder and the chain ring does not move, be aware because the main gear clutch/bearing may fail soon.
Comparing a Specialized EBike with TSDZ2 EBike

Image

I had to rent am ebike and I had the luck to be able to have a nice Specialized EBike that I was happy to compare with TSDZ2 EBike:
Advantages:
- more silent motor: a clear advantage on this Specialized EBike is the more silent motor, clearly TSDZ2 is noisier and I think it is due to using metal gears instead of belts.
- pair with my GPS unit / EBike wireless standard: this Specialized EBike could pair / connect wireless with my GPS Garmin that I use to travel and where I had the tracks / courses of my planned route

Disadvantages:
- limited assist levels, speed limit of 25 km/s and lack of customization: this EBike had only 3 different assist levels and I wanted to ride form 80 kms, on a flat surface. I decided to ride with assist level 1 to save battery and I found it was to much, I wanted to pedal harder because of fitness purposes and also to save the battery for that 80 kms. I found assist level 1 was to much and my effort was to little for what I wanted... and I could not go fast because it hit the 25 km/h limit.
My wife always use a bit more battery than me and she endup with 25% of battery SOC on his TSDZ2 EBike and I had to pedal the last 5 kms with this Specialized EBike, simple because I could not save battery, because the assist levels are not customized like on our OpenSource firmware for TSDZ2.
- incorrect battery SOC: the battery range on the display was not correct because the motor did stop at 8% SOC and I had to pedal the last 5 kms. That 8% SOC should be enough for that last 5 kms.
- heavier: because I always have to lift with my hand the EBikes to put on the car support, I also had to do this 4 times with this Specialized EBike and I found it heavier, even with my EBike with rear panniers and some tools inside.

Experiencing EBike wireless standard with the Specialized EBike

While I was riding I realized that this Specialized EBike is turned on in the battery and not on the display, like if the display is not really needed and quickly I figured out this model could implement the EBike wireless standard. See that I am in the middle of developing the same EBike wireless standard for TSDZ2.

I had my Garmin GPS unit on the handle bard already because I had our route planned and we were following it. I just had to go to wireless sensors configuration and click on discover new sensors and I got this ones from the Specialized EBike:

Image

Note that the heart rate sensor is the one from my watch:
Image

Then automatically the following main screens were added:

Image

EBike main screen to control assist level, see battery status and light status:
Image

At the end of our ride, on the Garmin app, we can see graphs of fitness and cycling metrics but also the pedal human power, speed and cadence were recorded:
Image

Image

And interesting is that there is a map showing the route but with color gradients that we can select for some variables and the pedal human power was available:

Image

Image

casainho   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4627
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Sep 23 2020 9:20am

vass wrote:
Sep 23 2020 9:17am
hehehe tsdz2 dont like portuguese people or the north, had also alot off issues when i was in vacations in Viana do Castelo.
In the end all off them were caused by my mistakes :) (bad soldering of the brake sensor and temp sensor overtightning the motor and riding on sand :roll: )

Also is it better to get a new main gear clutch or replace the bearing in the old one with a better one?
:-)

I lack the tools and knowledge to replace the bearing so I just simple buy and install a new main gear - took me 20 minutes no install the new one.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

ilu   10 W

10 W
Posts: 99
Joined: Oct 18 2019 10:51am

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by ilu » Sep 23 2020 12:59pm

Here is some good advice for changing only the sprag clutch.

Post Reply