New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Nov 11 2020 9:52am

I would like to give an update of the TSDZ2 EBike wireless project: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... 2_wireless

I finally got the mobile app working (Bluetooth communication), for doing the configurations. As for display, it will be wireless communications (ANT+ LEV) and it is optional, it will be the Garmin Edge as seen on the picture.

Now I need to do copy-paste work to implement the full configurations, as seen on the video and then I will be able to finally install the wireless board on my TSDZ2 and remove the big 860C display :-)

Mobile app configurations (WIP) -- may thanks to the TSDZ2-ESP32 from where I reused the mobile app:

The wireless board connected to TSDZ2 display connector:

We also have our own DIY wireless remote reusing the VLCD5 remote. But since we are using EBike wireless standards, any other commercial remote will work. A video from @rananna developer showing the wireless remote controlling changing his EBike assist level as also changing the page on his Garmin Edge display:
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 11 2020 3:33pm

hmmm, trying to load 1.1.0 in, using STVP... eco-ebike's instructions talk about a separate program and data .s19 file, but the github for 1.1.0 only has a single .hex file... do I load this into the program memory, and leave the data memory alone? or do I load the same hex file into both program and data and rely on the addresses of the programming be out of range for hte data ?

ilu   100 W

100 W

Post by ilu » Nov 11 2020 5:10pm

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Nov 11 2020 3:33pm
hmmm, trying to load 1.1.0 in, using STVP... eco-ebike's instructions talk about a separate program and data .s19 file, but the github for 1.1.0 only has a single .hex file... do I load this into the program memory, and leave the data memory alone? or do I load the same hex file into both program and data and rely on the addresses of the programming be out of range for hte data ?
Just load the .hex to the program memory.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 11 2020 6:44pm

ilu wrote:
Nov 11 2020 5:10pm
Just load the .hex to the program memory.
indeed, that worked. i actually tried loading the hex into the data memory but all rows of the hex were in the 0x8000 range of the program memory, so were rejected.

anyways, v1.1.0 is up and running. now I need to go for a decently long ride, but not today.

DaveL   1 µW

1 µW

Post by DaveL » Nov 12 2020 4:53am

Hi all - first post here.
Having trouble with the "Flash SW102" step shown here:
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... e-on-SW102

I can see the SW102 in nRF Connect and nRF Toolbox iOS apps when the SW102 is turned on with the display active.
I can't see the SW102 in either app once I put it into bootloader mode (hold both buttons for 8 secs, display goes blank).
Both apps say that my SW102 doesn't support DFU.

I have taken a sequence of photos and screenshots in the hope that someone here can help me out - many thanks.
Attachments
1 SW102 On.JPG
1 SW102 On.JPG (429.41 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
2 nRF Toolbox.PNG
2 nRF Toolbox.PNG (65.22 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
3 nRF Toolbox No DFU.PNG
3 nRF Toolbox No DFU.PNG (61.29 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
4 nRF Connect.PNG
4 nRF Connect.PNG (130.57 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
5 nRF Connected.PNG
5 nRF Connected.PNG (124.32 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
6 nRF Connect Info 1.PNG
6 nRF Connect Info 1.PNG (119.41 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
7 nRF Connect Info 2.PNG
7 nRF Connect Info 2.PNG (117.5 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
8 nRF Connect Info 3.PNG
8 nRF Connect Info 3.PNG (112.06 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
9 nRF Connect Info 4.PNG
9 nRF Connect Info 4.PNG (120.87 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
10 nRF Connect No DFU.PNG
10 nRF Connect No DFU.PNG (97.9 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
11 Held Buttons Bootloader Mode.JPG
11 Held Buttons Bootloader Mode.JPG (388.62 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
12 nRF Toolbox Not Found.PNG
12 nRF Toolbox Not Found.PNG (34.53 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
13 nRF Connect Not Found.PNG
13 nRF Connect Not Found.PNG (106.21 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Nov 13 2020 12:24am

More news about TSDZ2 wireless:

Wireless firmware update bootloader is ready!!

@rananna did the work and the hex files, sources and technical description are here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... bootloader

To resume: firmware can be updated using Bluetooth connection on a smartphone or a PC and to start the bootloader / firmware update, user will need to do one of the following options:
- long press the button in the TSDZ2 wireless board at startup (on the remote wireless, long press all buttons)
- use NRFconnect on smartphone or PC to write 1 to Bluetooth specific characteristic to enable the bootloader

Here is a video @rananna did explaining how to update firmware on a PC and using the Bluetooth connection:

I hope this video can give some clues to @DaveL on the usual process to update firmware on the SW102 display and the process is similar.

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

eyebyesickle   10 kW

10 kW

Post by eyebyesickle » Nov 14 2020 2:27pm

James Broadhurst wrote:
Nov 10 2020 1:42pm
eyebyesickle wrote:
Nov 09 2020 8:25pm
FYI you cannot reprogram the coaster brake motor the same way as you do other motors, by uploading the profile, it will cause an error and won't work. You have to go in and manually change the voltage in data memory. Recently they also changed something else and now it's a pain to do. For some reason I cannot get them to go 52v anymore like I used to, but can set them up 48v still no problem. Let me know if you need any assistance I can walk you through it.
Hmmm ... that's exactly what I did. I loaded v19.0 with a 48v battery and all is well.
Didn't realize you were using OSF. With stock programming it doesn't work out like that.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 14 2020 2:50pm

James Broadhurst wrote:
Nov 10 2020 1:42pm
Hmmm ... that's exactly what I did. I loaded v19.0 with a 48v battery and all is well.
isn't 1.1.0 the current OSF version ? mine, bought with the OSF preinstalled by eco-ebikes, came with 1.0.0 and I recently upgraded it to 1.1.0.... or is this something specific to the coaster brake version?

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Nov 15 2020 11:36am

This seems to be how Tongsheng does the torque sensor hardware calibration (more pictures here):

And after we need to do the calibration on the firmware, only then we will have the best responsive TSDZ2 motor: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... que-sensor

G.F.   1 µW

1 µW

Post by G.F. » Nov 15 2020 2:23pm

eyebyesickle wrote:
Feb 25 2020 4:21am
izeman wrote:
Feb 24 2020 2:31pm
As my chainline is soooo out of straight I thought of the Alfine SG-S7001-11 (11 gears, 409% from lowest to highest gear, ebike approved). Any comments on this before I buy (the whole set is almost 450€ with gear lever and stuff ...)

Screenshot from 2020-02-24 20-30-05.png
Looks nice. I haven't been paying attention to IGH much lately. It seems many are ebike rated now... A bit stronger internally.

There will be some 50T chain rings for TSDZ with 10mm offset in maybe a month, FYI, but nothing bigger than the 42T 10mm offset for now...
Can anybody tell me if there are already bigger (50 or 52) chainrings with offset on the market?

Gert

scianiac   100 µW

100 µW

Post by scianiac » Nov 16 2020 9:36pm

Figured you guys might find this useful.

Building on najbyk's work I made some aluminum heatsink shims that replace the thermal pads between the motor endplate and gearbox housing. I actually made a crude test version a few months back and it performed well, I was never able to get the temperature above 42C (48V motor 52V battery, max current limits). Since installing the final version I've only had one warm test day which while I wasn't watching the temps super close it seemed to peak out in the low 30s after some steep climbs. I made a few of these and threw them up for free here, so if anyone wants one just cover the shipping and it's yours. If people are interested I might make some more. Edit 1/7/21 - due to popular demand I've made some more of these, available at the link above

Last edited by scianiac on Jan 07 2021 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blacklite   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Blacklite » Nov 17 2020 1:32am

Have a TSDZ2 with the wonderful open source firmware and a gear-change sensor. I found that the delay plus ramp up after a gear change was really annoying, so came up with a quick solution using a microcontroller to adjust how much time the gear sensor triggered the brake circuit. Couldn't be bothered to design up my own board, so just used a very common ATtiny85 board available from many places. I got mine from Jaycar here in Australia.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/duinotech-att ... d/p/XC3940

The beauty of these is they are programmable using the Arduino environment without any specific programmer. Just connect to a computer via a USB/microUSB cable. Kind of like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, but much easier than designing a discreet circuit, and has the flexibility to have the timing easily adjusted in software.

I cut the gear sensor cable and wired it through the ATtiny board. Both +5V wires soldered together to the 5v terminal on the board. Both grounds together to the ground on the board. Trigger from sensor to P2, output to brake cutoff circuit from P0. Code file is attached. Excuse the poor code! Should have enough comments to make sense though.

I programmed the board to run in it's 1MHz mode in the Arduino IDE, and unsoldered the boards power LED. Without LED and running at 1MHz the draw should only be a bit over 1mA. Even more power savings could be gained by putting the processor to sleep and using an interrupt to wake, but I figure with only 1mA draw it's not worth it.

After testing I found that 100ms of brake "blip" was enough for smooth shifting, given that I have a fairly slow max ramp set in the OSF.

Bit of heat shrink around the outside and I'm super happy.
Attachments
code.txt
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

JaiCee   1 mW

1 mW

Post by JaiCee » Nov 17 2020 2:15am

I'm having a problem with my motor, I can often rotate the pedal a quarter of a turn before it feels any resistance also if I push down hard it feels like something inside the motor is turning or slipping without the gear moving. Is this the sprag clutch failing?

mctubster   100 W

100 W

Post by mctubster » Nov 17 2020 3:30am

Blacklite wrote:
Nov 17 2020 1:32am
Have a TSDZ2 with the wonderful open source firmware and a gear-change sensor. I found that the delay plus ramp up after a gear change was really annoying, so came up with a quick solution using a microcontroller to adjust how much time the gear sensor triggered the brake circuit. Couldn't be bothered to design up my own board, so just used a very common ATtiny85 board available from many places. I got mine from Jaycar here in Australia.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/duinotech-att ... d/p/XC3940
Very cool. What gear shift detector are you using?

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 17 2020 4:37am

I didn't bother with the shift sensor, I just back off on the pedals when shifting, same as I always do.

bergerandfries   1 W

1 W

Post by bergerandfries » Nov 17 2020 9:58am

JaiCee wrote:
Nov 17 2020 2:15am
I'm having a problem with my motor, I can often rotate the pedal a quarter of a turn before it feels any resistance also if I push down hard it feels like something inside the motor is turning or slipping without the gear moving. Is this the sprag clutch failing?
It sure was for me. It got worse the more I pedaled against the lack of resistance (I tried to limp home, but the sprag clutch wasn't having it)

mctubster   100 W

100 W

Post by mctubster » Nov 17 2020 2:47pm

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Nov 17 2020 4:37am
I didn't bother with the shift sensor, I just back off on the pedals when shifting, same as I always do.
What firmware? I loose way to much power for way too long doing this.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 17 2020 4:29pm

mctubster wrote:
Nov 17 2020 2:47pm
LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Nov 17 2020 4:37am
What firmware? I loose way to much power for way too long doing this.
was 1.0.0, now 1.1.0. I didn't play with the ramp-up speeds, thats all default.

I also tend to shift BEFORE I need the gear, with many years of road biking behind me, its a habit, and I try and keep my cadence around 75 RPM. I've got an Alivio 8 speed derailleur, with a HG50 cassette and trigger shifters, it shifts crisply and quickly. I dumped the front shifter when I went to the TSDZ2, and am running the stock 42T front, and an 11-32T rear. oh and a decent quality chain, I've found the cheapest chains don't shift that smoothly. all this on 700c wheels with 40mm tires.

Blacklite   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Blacklite » Nov 17 2020 5:03pm

mctubster wrote:
Nov 17 2020 3:30am

Very cool. What gear shift detector are you using?
Just the one that came with my eco-cycles kit.
It’s marked “Model: ENA-GS-EX” and “Designed by BTN-EBIKE”. It originally seemed to trigger the brake circuit for close to a second, making eg. downshifting up a hill very problematic. Now I can pretty much just pedal through a change without feeling much power loss.

I guess different sensors might have different dwell times so might not be as beneficial depending on the sensor and gear system. Adding the microcontroller though means can just use the leading edge of the sensor signal as a trigger to set a specific off time, rather than letting the sensor signal set the dwell of the off as well.

vulcanears   10 mW

10 mW

Post by vulcanears » Nov 18 2020 6:16am

When I set my assist level to maximum and turn off the bike, the next time I turn it on again, it will be on ECO. Is there a way to always have it on maximum assist?

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Nov 18 2020 6:54am

scianiac wrote:
Nov 16 2020 9:36pm

Building on najbyk's work I made some aluminum heatsink shims that replace the thermal pads between the motor endplate and gearbox housing. I actually made a crude test version a few months back and it performed well, I was never able to get the temperature above 42C (48V motor 52V battery, max current limits). Since installing the final version I've only had one warm test day which while I wasn't watching the temps super close it seemed to peak out in the low 30s after some steep climbs. I made a few of these and threw them up for free here, so if anyone wants one just cover the shipping and it's yours. If people are interested I might make some more.
Thanks for this. I have ordered one via your site. I'll let you know how I get on with it, although it's getting cold here in the UK at the moment.

harry's_limes   1 µW

1 µW

Post by harry's_limes » Nov 23 2020 7:52pm

scianiac wrote:

Building on najbyk's work I made some aluminum heatsink shims that replace the thermal pads between the motor endplate and gearbox housing. I actually made a crude test version a few months back and it performed well, I was never able to get the temperature above 42C (48V motor 52V battery, max current limits). Since installing the final version I've only had one warm test day which while I wasn't watching the temps super close it seemed to peak out in the low 30s after some steep climbs. I made a few of these and threw them up for free here, so if anyone wants one just cover the shipping and it's yours. If people are interested I might make some more.

Looks fantastic, great job!
Do you have a CAD file or precise geometry measurements available?
I'm based in the UK otherwise would definitely just buy one.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Nov 23 2020 9:14pm

scianiac wrote:
Building on najbyk's work I made some aluminum heatsink shims
Diamond is better for that.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Nov 24 2020 8:36am

Glad to see you back, Chalo...

Wapous   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Wapous » Nov 28 2020 9:08pm

Wapous wrote:
Aug 03 2020 9:44pm
Regarding the HF1216 clutch bearing of the blue gear, I am doing tests with Pennzoil 5w-30 Platinum synthetic oil. The purpose of these tests, carried out on a non-installed bearing, is to verify whether the plastic used will resist this oil.
After a week no deterioration noticed.
I will update in three weeks.
The bearings have been ordered here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6898269 ... 6c37w626uQ
On August 3, I wrote the message above following the synthetic oil test on the HF1216 clutch bearing of the blue gear.
After four months, no deterioration noticed. This oil lubricates the rollers without interfering with their movement. A small amount of oil is required. I imagine other brands of oil would do the job.
Attachments
HF1216 clutch bearing.jpg
HF1216 clutch bearing.jpg (249.15 KiB) Viewed 409 times