New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
feketehegyi   10 W

10 W

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by feketehegyi » Nov 30 2020 1:20am

vulcanears wrote:
Nov 18 2020 6:16am
When I set my assist level to maximum and turn off the bike, the next time I turn it on again, it will be on ECO. Is there a way to always have it on maximum assist?
I assume you refer to original firmware and displays where it is like so as you have described.
However there is one way to do so: if firmware (original factory default) does not receive instructions from display then it uses maximum assist by default. And as well it uses 26" wheel and max. speed as 25Km/h by default. When these parameters are good for you then if you switch off "serial RX" to motor it will work with them.
I've also managed to change these default parameters with some patching on the firmware: https://github.com/wptm/tsdz2_maxspeed_ ... ssistlevel .
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/wptmvideos ... =0&sort=dd
DIY TSDZ2 VOAMCA firmware: https://github.com/wptm/voamca . Android app via bluetooth for this VOAMCA: http://wptm.hu/ebmdisplay/ DIY Bluetooth module for the TSDZ2: https://github.com/wptm/tsdz2_bluetooth

feketehegyi   10 W

10 W

Post by feketehegyi » Nov 30 2020 1:26am

I've played again with my bike and my android app:
DIY TSDZ2 VOAMCA firmware: https://github.com/wptm/voamca . Android app via bluetooth for this VOAMCA: http://wptm.hu/ebmdisplay/ DIY Bluetooth module for the TSDZ2: https://github.com/wptm/tsdz2_bluetooth

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Nov 30 2020 3:54pm

Hi

I have just purchased the 860c display for my TSDZ2. I have built the ST link and can see the controller firmware with it, so all good there.

The one question I have is do I flash the 860c with the same ST Link and configuration or do I need to make a different one? The wiki is a bit sketch about this.

My unit is 6 pin.

Any help would be much appreciated.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 30 2020 5:34pm

Alfie wrote:
Nov 30 2020 3:54pm
Hi

I have just purchased the 860c display for my TSDZ2. I have built the ST link and can see the controller firmware with it, so all good there.

The one question I have is do I flash the 860c with the same ST Link and configuration or do I need to make a different one? The wiki is a bit sketch about this.

My unit is 6 pin.

you definitely need a different USB adapter for the 860C, you disconnect the 860C from the TSDZ2, and plug it into this adapter. I have the premade one that eco-ebikes.com sells, but I believe I saw instructions on making your own? let me look, and I'll edit this post.

bergerandfries   1 W

1 W

Post by bergerandfries » Nov 30 2020 5:39pm

Alfie wrote:
Nov 30 2020 3:54pm
You can buy a bootloader at eco-ebike.com, which I recommend if you aren't handy

OR

Here's the wiki on building your own bootloader:
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... bootloader

If your plug is 6 pin instead of the 5 pin connector shown, then I'm lost too; I haven't seen that configuration yet myself.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Nov 30 2020 6:19pm

bergerandfries wrote:
Nov 30 2020 5:39pm
Here's the wiki on building your own bootloader:
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... bootloader

If your plug is 6 pin instead of the 5 pin connector shown, then I'm lost too; I haven't seen that configuration yet myself.
heh, beat me to it, I got side tracked, and just got back to looking up that same link...

here's the 850c/860c bootloader box from eco-ebike...
https://www.eco-ebike.com/collections/t ... re-updater

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Nov 30 2020 7:01pm

Thanks Fellas. I‘ll buy the bootloader. It will save me some grey hairs and time. :thumb:

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Dec 03 2020 7:37am

Hi Fellas

My motor makes an unpleasant noise in the first 2 power settings in lower gears!!!!!!

I have a a new TSDZ2 48v 500w motor in stock form at the moment with VLCD6 display. When I start a ride in a low gear ( half way up my 10 speed cassette ) the motor sounds dreadful until I up the power and put more pressure on the pedals. It sounds like something is intermittently rubbing and making a right old racket. I first thought it was something rubbing or catching on the bike but when I pedal without the motor on the noise doesn't happen. When I put it in a higher power mode and use a reasonable amount of pressure on the pedal the motor sounds fine, just the normal constant electric motor sound.

I must say the first 2 power settings don't seem to produce much in the way of assistance if anything noticeable.

I have the magnet set 8mm away from the speed sensor and turn on the unit and don't touch the pedals until it is booted up.

I have a 860c display on it's way so I can install the modded firmware but don't really want to install it with this problem.

Waynemarlow   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Waynemarlow » Dec 03 2020 8:48am

Check the clearance between the motor and the frame on the chainside, if your frame is sufficiently wide on the rear bottom stays, the motor sometimes needs a small shim in there ( supplied with the kit ). Easy to tell if you can't see it, the motor makes a hard thud has it meets the BB as you drop it into the BB when fitting, if the outer case touches its more a dull thud. :D

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Dec 03 2020 2:32pm

Waynemarlow wrote:
Dec 03 2020 8:48am
Check the clearance between the motor and the frame on the chainside, if your frame is sufficiently wide on the rear bottom stays, the motor sometimes needs a small shim in there ( supplied with the kit ). Easy to tell if you can't see it, the motor makes a hard thud has it meets the BB as you drop it into the BB when fitting, if the outer case touches its more a dull thud. :D
Hi Wayne, It looks like I am bugging you on here now :wink:

I have 1 shim on the BB and the casing is clearing the the rear stay ok.

It's strange I'm getting this noise when there isn't much torque being put through the unit. The weather is miserable at the moment otherwise I'd take it for a spin and record it.

bergerandfries   1 W

1 W

Post by bergerandfries » Dec 03 2020 3:48pm

Alfie wrote:
Dec 03 2020 7:37am
Hi Fellas

My motor makes an unpleasant noise in the first 2 power settings in lower gears!!!!!!
New motors are kinda noisy until they have some miles on them IMHO. Usually it's a whine that is fairly loud until the gears get some wear on them.

Waynemarlow   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Waynemarlow » Dec 03 2020 5:19pm

I would second that, one of our motors was particulalry noisy compared to others but has quietened down.

sysrq   100 W

100 W

Post by sysrq » Dec 03 2020 8:32pm

Alfie wrote:
Dec 03 2020 2:32pm
Waynemarlow wrote:
Dec 03 2020 8:48am
Hi Wayne, It looks like I am bugging you on here now :wink:

I have 1 shim on the BB and the casing is clearing the the rear stay ok.

It's strange I'm getting this noise when there isn't much torque being put through the unit. The weather is miserable at the moment otherwise I'd take it for a spin and record it.
Mine is the opposite. It starts to groan under moderate/high torque/load.
Last edited by sysrq on Dec 03 2020 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Dec 03 2020 9:50pm

sysrq wrote:
Dec 03 2020 8:32pm
Mine is the opposite. It starts to groan under moderate/high torque.
I wonder if it would be possible to add a very thin like paint of maybe glass fiber to the main wheel, so the teeth would not rote metal against metal and would reduce the noise under load.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

sysrq   100 W

100 W

Post by sysrq » Dec 03 2020 10:09pm

casainho wrote:
Dec 03 2020 9:50pm
sysrq wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to add a very thin like paint of maybe glass fiber to the main wheel, so the teeth would not rote metal against metal and would reduce the noise under load.
Well, sometimes the noise is louder sometimes there is normal whirring and whining under load. More at lower temperatures. It is probably just a combination of specific RPM and resonance.

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Dec 04 2020 7:15am

sysrq wrote:
Dec 03 2020 10:09pm
casainho wrote:
Dec 03 2020 9:50pm
sysrq wrote:
Well, sometimes the noise is louder sometimes there is normal whirring and whining under load. More at lower temperatures. It is probably just a combination of specific RPM and resonance.
I'll give it a bit more time and see if it beds in. Only done 45 miles on it at the moment. It's rained here all week so not much riding getting done :(

vulcanears   10 mW

10 mW

Post by vulcanears » Dec 04 2020 12:48pm

Does it make significant difference to upgrade the TSDZ2 firmware from 36V250Wstock to 36V500Wstock?

I help out in a local bike shop sometimes and don't want to install the Open Source firmware onto customer bikes, because noone else can service it and I'm not always around.

Aurinko80   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Aurinko80 » Dec 05 2020 1:28pm

feketehegyi wrote:
Nov 30 2020 1:26am
I've played again with my bike and my android app:
Looks like it still likes you man. :bigthumb:

Waynemarlow   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Waynemarlow » Dec 05 2020 2:07pm

vulcanears wrote:
Dec 04 2020 12:48pm
Does it make significant difference to upgrade the TSDZ2 firmware from 36V250Wstock to 36V500Wstock?
I'm not sure anyone had done it as we all went over to 48V batteries on 36 volt engines engines to get better cadence.

Eco-Ebikes talks about it a bit at https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cyc ... romscratch

Worth a go maybe as its only 14 amps but you may run into heat problems ?

feketehegyi   10 W

10 W

Post by feketehegyi » Dec 06 2020 4:00am

Waynemarlow wrote:
Dec 05 2020 2:07pm
vulcanears wrote:
Dec 04 2020 12:48pm
I'm not sure anyone had done it as we all went over to 48V batteries on 36 volt engines engines to get better cadence.

Eco-Ebikes talks about it a bit at https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cyc ... romscratch

Worth a go maybe as its only 14 amps but you may run into heat problems ?
I've just received my 48V bare motor and put it into my 36V system. I do not have 48V battery yet. But at least could try it out how is it when "underdrive". It is not as "quick accelerating" like before. The RPM of the motor is much lower. And as overall I cannot go as fast as with 36V motor. But on the other hand it is like a calm but powerful joy to ride it so. However its "ampere consumption" seems to be bit more which seems to be obvious as voltage is lower what was designed for.
I've used it with my patched factory default firmware which has difference only in showing voltage, ampere etc. but generally works as default firmware.
I've also tried to compare the two motors: 48V = 803 gram (1.770lb) and 36V = 807 gram. (1.779lb) :-) This latter can be some remained grease. :-)
Then I tried to compare the resistance between the phases but did not find either difference. However maybe I was wrong with doing so. Actually I do not know what I should measure to get a difference between the two motors.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Dec 06 2020 1:51pm

Alfie wrote:
Hi Fellas

I have a a new TSDZ2 48v 500w motor in stock form at the moment with VLCD6 display. When I start a ride in a low gear ( half way up my 10 speed cassette ) the motor sounds dreadful until I up the power and put more pressure on the pedals. It sounds like something is intermittently rubbing and making a right old racket. I first thought it was something rubbing or catching on the bike but when I pedal without the motor on the noise doesn't happen. When I put it in a higher power mode and use a reasonable amount of pressure on the pedal the motor sounds fine, just the normal constant electric motor sound.

I must say the first 2 power settings don't seem to produce much in the way of assistance if anything noticeable.

I have the magnet set 8mm away from the speed sensor and turn on the unit and don't touch the pedals until it is booted up.

I have a 860c display on it's way so I can install the modded firmware but don't really want to install it with this problem.

is your chain line good?

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Dec 06 2020 3:38pm

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Dec 06 2020 1:51pm
Alfie wrote:
Hi Fellas

is your chain line good?
The chain line is good. I have just installed the Future Bikes 42t ring today and it still makes a racket. The bike sounds ok when I turn the motor off. It’s just Noisy when I aren’t putting a lot of pressure through the crank.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Dec 06 2020 4:25pm

well, I only ever get a soft whine out of mine, directly proportional to how much power its outputting. the one I built my brother has the bronze gear in it, and is noisier, but its still a whine proportional to power output and cadence

Alfie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Alfie » Dec 06 2020 5:28pm

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Dec 06 2020 4:25pm
well, I only ever get a soft whine out of mine, directly proportional to how much power its outputting. the one I built my brother has the bronze gear in it, and is noisier, but its still a whine proportional to power output and cadence
It’s not really a constant whine. It’s more intermittent. Kind of on off or rubbing. I’ll see if I can record it tomorrow if it isn’t raining again :roll:

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Dec 07 2020 4:40pm

For the ones dreaming with a fully wireless TSDZ2, wireless remote and wireless brake sensors:

Here is the last version of the Android app, I do not plan to change anything more up to soon release this very first public version. Download here, just for see it working on your phone: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ ... tag/v0.1.0

See that there is only one main screen but I added (this feature is not available on the ESP32 project) customization on the fields, a bit like on the 860C display:

- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa