Friction drive ebike DIY

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
green666   1 µW

1 µW

Friction drive ebike DIY

Post by green666 » Jun 23 2016 10:03pm

Hi!, I made new friction drive. I diyed several times but not satisfied.
I followed someone's guide and made new version. Heres few photos and video.
I also post version2 and version1 no more use but it was useful experience.

Visit my post and see how i made.
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blog ... m=postView

<Friction Drive Version 3>
---------------------------------------
I used 60mm skate board roller.

*Update : First I used 250w motor but its not enough It can bearly move my bike. SO, changed to 350w motor and got very good result very powerful and quite. I even incline the 25degrees hill.
I used bike brake wire and handle for adequate friction tension. Also, remove the throttle spring and put some sponge and can adjust throttle without continuous pushing.
10.jpg
11.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
Here's video.

<Friction Drive Version 2>
--------------------------------------
Pretty good but not efficient because of complication.
11.jpg
13_4.jpg
13_5.jpg
13_7.jpg
143.jpg
182.jpg

<Friction Drive Version 1>
--------------------------------------
This is first version I made. very simple but main roller too small and slippery on tire. no more use.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Last edited by green666 on Jul 09 2016 6:09pm, edited 3 times in total.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Friction drive ebike DIY

Post by amberwolf » Jun 24 2016 1:31am

Looks much better than the last one I tried to build, several years back on DayGlo Avenger (before I went chain drive via powerchair motor and then hubmotor):

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... er#p231004

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Friction drive ebike DIY

Post by spinningmagnets » Jun 24 2016 10:34am

Well done! I like that the second version had shaft support at both ends of the roller, but...the third and final version looks like it will run reliably for years.

As I have posted in other threads, my roller traction improved dramatically when I switched to a fat rear tire that had a squarish tread. It was one of the cheapest tires available at Walmart, a hard rubber compound beach cruiser tire. I did it at the suggestion of EVTodd, and it transformed the system into something very viable.

five years ago, there were very few options, and now (here in North America) I feel we are living in a golden age for electric bikes. Prices have come down enough that a much wider audience can afford a system with good performance. Also there are many choices now.

However, if the US ever has a "trade war" with China (tariffs, trade deficit negotiations, etc) then...your most-desired kits will be unavailable. In that situation, non hubs rule, and friction drives will be "better than nothing". Stand-up scooters that are tossed in the trash once the SLAs no longer hold a charge, will suddenly be golden, and and scavenged for their motors and controllers, in order to make friction drives.