BBS02 whistle noise

frotna

1 µW
Greetings.
I recently assembled bbs02 500w 36V motor on my bike.
At the end of first test ride which was around 10 km i noticed strange whistle like sound from motor.
Sound is there only when turning pedals. While using motor on throttle there is no strange sound.
Sound is present even when the motor is turned off. It is definitely coming from motor, i think from pedal axle part of it.
Motor works fine, there is no heat problem or other problems whatsoever just that strange noise.
I removed motor from bike and noise disapered and after i returned it to bike gradualy the whistle noise returned.
Can someone give some advice what can be the reason of this strange noise.
Here is the vid of the noise:
https://youtu.be/0VaZFoNv-RY
Regards...

Looks like the motor is pbeing pulled around when you spin the gear manually. My guess is the motor freewheel is stuck, and that the problem is not in the pedal axle or pedal freewheel. The pedal axle doesn't even move in your video.

tahustvedt said:
Looks like the motor is pbeing pulled around when you spin the gear manually. My guess is the motor freewheel is stuck, and that the problem is not in the pedal axle or pedal freewheel. The pedal axle doesn't even move in your video.
Hi.
Tenx for quick replay.
As you pointed, definitely the problem isn't pedal axle as it isn't moving.
Also i have to add that the strange noise is there only when i rotate slowly. When i rotate pedals faster there is no noise.
What part of the motor i have to disassemble to get to the freewheel part?
Do you think it's something serious or can i continue to drive like that?
Regards...

I don't think you've got a big problem there. Remember, these units are not machined to the highest of standards, so some parts might be a little bit out of spec.

I think the large cog is rubbing slightly on the rear of the housing. Try applying some more grease to the final drive and see if the noise disappears.

FYI, I use a syringe to inject as much grease into the final drive and mine is very quiet and working very well.

alfantastic said:
I don't think you've got a big problem there. Remember, these units are not machined to the highest of standards, so some parts might be a little bit out of spec.

I think the large cog is rubbing slightly on the rear of the housing. Try applying some more grease to the final drive and see if the noise disappears.

FYI, I use a syringe to inject as much grease into the final drive and mine is very quiet and working very well.
Hi.
I have injected grease around large and small cogs before i mounted motor on bike and once more after noise appeared and unfortunately that didn't help.
Regards...

Personally, if everything is working as it should and you are ok with the noise, then I would just leave it.

I used to get a similar noise after riding for around 15 miles, but think it was the silicon seal, on the non drive side, slightly rubbing on the BB housing.
A squirt of silicon spray into the area marked in red on the picture, would cure that noise for a few hundred miles.

alfantastic said:
Personally, if everything is working as it should and you are ok with the noise, then I would just leave it.

I used to get a similar noise after riding for around 15 miles, but think it was the silicon seal, on the non drive side, slightly rubbing on the BB housing.
A squirt of silicon spray into the area marked in red on the picture, would cure that noise for a few hundred miles.

I checked and lubricate silicone seal on non drive side but noise isn't coming from that side for sure. I drove bike last few days and noise is sometimes present and sometimes not.
Will continue to monitor it and report back after few more days...

Back