Left side freewheel sprocket adaptor

Rouckie

100 W
Hello all,

I'm working on a left side sprocket to disc adaptor with integrated freewheel.

With kind regards,
Roel

Why would you freewheel a disc rotor?

Or are you talking about putting a freewheel onto a hub that has a 6 bolt disc rotor mount?

Hey Roel ,I really want to see your design, not for the leftside only but maybe on the rightside also. I wonder what forces wil it take? I am using a 8kwplus motor :D

by the way what part of belgium You life in?

I think it should be able to handle the power you need. Do you know the maximum torque you get at the rear wheel?

Ik woon in vlaams brabant, dichtbij Diest.

Dont know what torque i have ,arround 30 nm on the motor and reduction of 1/5 to the rear wheel.

Raar in het engels praten met iemand die enkele km verder woont, ik ben trouwens van rijmenam :D

So you are developing an adapter that lets you mount a sprocket + freewheel on the left side where the brake rotor would normally go?

I am interested in this, especially if I can then possibly make my own Sprotor (sprocket + brake rotor in one). Allowing me to have peddle power on the right side, and electric power on the left side.

Atarijedi,

the freewheel will be integrated in the sprocket adaptor, designed from scratch.

So you will be able to mount a sprocket on the adaptor and a disc next to it.
The sprocket will freewheel, the disc (off course) will be fixed in both directions.

The adaptor can be mounted on normal rear hubs. 6 bolts pattern (M5 bolts).

ISO standard disc spacing puts the rear disc mounting face only 15mm from the rear frame dropout. That's not much room to fit both a rotor and a sprocket with a chain on it. What are you doing to make it all fit? I don't think it's impossible, but it is very crowded.

Chalo said:
ISO standard disc spacing puts the rear disc mounting face only 15mm from the rear frame dropout. That's not much room to fit both a rotor and a sprocket with a chain on it. What are you doing to make it all fit? I don't think it's impossible, but it is very crowded.

There is room there. If the sprocket is spaced 3/4 inch toward the spokes. That is to say, there is room for a sprocket in there. I would love to see the freewheel mechanism fit, though.

It is easier to put the freewheel on the output of the drive and let the chain run live at all times.

Matt

Hello Matt,

it is easier to put the freewheel on the jackshaft, that is true.

My question is, and maybe you are perfectly placed to answer this: would you see benefit in having the freewheel on the wheel, if I can make it happen?

thank you,
Roel

I m building a drive with 1 reduction. Putting the freewheel on the motor is difficult and has more drag

I've machined a few "disc brake" hubs with a left hand thread to take a southpaw freewheel to screw onto the boss. If you have a lathe you can drive & are building your wheel anyway, this is quick easy strong neat and cheap.
My reason for doing it this way is that when (for whatever reason) you are pedalling the bike, none of the electric drive gubbins is turning... makes life so much easier

Hello bobc,

How did you manage to use the disc brake with your setup?
For me it's a must to be able to use the disc brake as well.

Rouckie said:
Hello bobc,

How did you manage to use the disc brake with your setup?
For me it's a must to be able to use the disc brake as well.

Aaaah....
I didn't - sorry
I even converted my trike away from disc to vee brakes.....

bionicon said:
I want one, when i am "gliding" the chain noise anoying me, and i like the sound of no-sound. :D

Good chain line, adequate lube, 16t and larger sprocket sizes. If you implement these things, and you don't let the chain and sprockets wear out, you won't be bothered by chain noise.

Hello all,

it has been a long time that I have announced this left side freewheel. I'm glad to show some progress on it today.
I made a printed prototype, it is working as it should, just some minor changes to implement and than I will start milling the first prototype this weekend. Stay tuned.

Roel

freewheel_bottom.jpg

freewheel_top.jpg

Great Adapter project ,i like the use of the sprag bearing , im contemplating doing this atm and using a 30mm id 62mm od csk30, torque rating is around 140nm .
But your sprag looks large what size is it and nm rating , also what bcd is the sprocket mount, thanks

It's not a sprag clutch, that is a bearing. The freewheel itself is my design.
That is a kart sprocket, bcd is 132mm I believe.

Rouckie said:
Hello all,

it has been a long time that I have announced this left side freewheel. I'm glad to show some progress on it today.
I made a printed prototype, it is working as it should, just some minor changes to implement and than I will start milling the first prototype this weekend. Stay tuned.

Roel

View attachment 1

how did you lock the bearing to the sproket. I can't see the keyway...

thanks

@boisrondevens
How do you mean? The bearing will be press fitted. The bearing is not responsible for transmitting torque.

Back