The first and BEST Qulbix Raptor mid-drive build!

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
recumpence   100 GW

100 GW
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Re: The first and BEST Qulbix Raptor mid-drive build!

Post by recumpence » Nov 08 2016 2:27pm

McKitterick wrote:Matt, that is such crazy-gorgeous-wild engineering and design - kudos to you! Looks great and like it'll be a blast to ride.

I have a question for a problem I just had with mine that maybe you've already figured out. Seems like you're running power from the motors through your reduction setup directly to the left-rear gear, while retaining a derailleur setup on the right side for pedaling under your own power. I've just installed the 6000-watt kit from Tangent on a traditional downhill bike. On its maiden voyage, when I reached half-throttle, the motor ripped the chain right off the gears, nearly taking my leg off: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84683

I'm thinking of swapping over to a belt drive, but your comment that you've never dropped a chain makes me reconsider. With a single-side drivetrain like mine, do you recommend sticking with a chain (but going with the thicker one you use and maybe special gears?)? Have you tried belt drives and compared for high-power applications like this?

Thanks!
Chris
Derailer systems have a finite power limit before the chain skips. That is why run left side drive. For high power, left side single ratio drive is the way to go.

I am not a fan of belts for high torque, low RPM use. Chains are stronger for a given width (generally speaking). Belts are best for high RPM, low torque applications such as the motor to jackshaft.

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

ElectricGod   1 GW

1 GW

Post by ElectricGod » Nov 11 2016 12:14pm

Have you taken the bike out for a ride yet. Do you have any idea what your top speed is or how fast it is?
XB-502: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83302&p=1222730#p1222730

Currie scooter: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83830&p=1227407#p1227407

Benjamin Franklin - "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 13 2016 10:00am

Sorry for the late reply.

Nope, the bike is not wired yet. I have been doing a bunch of preparation stuff. Here is the situation;

The motors in the pictures are 6 turn wye 3220s. These are not the motors for this bike. The motors it will receive are 3 turn. Those 3 turn motors are in other projects (my winch is one of them). So, I needed to remove the 3 turn motors from the other projects, then remove these 6 turn motors from the Raptor. Then I needed to convert the 6 turn wye motors into delta termination (time consuming pain in the butt) and install those motors into their respective locations. After that I need to prep the 3 turn motors for this twin drive. All that needed to be done before this build can move forward. Also, once I took the winch apart to extract the 3 turn motor for this bike, I took that opportunity to do some important work on the winch. On top of all that, I have a substancial OEM project build I have been in negotiations regarding. That took a bit of my time. That OEM project also required reorganizing my entire shop.

So, yes this bike is still progressing. But, I have alot on my plate that is nothing to post pictures of, but sure does take up time. :D

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 16 2016 5:46pm

Update:

I finally have something to show.

The bike is mechanically finished. Now I have a huge amount of wiring to do. Today I finished the pedalling components, modified the 3 turn Wye motors, installed them and finished the remaining drive unit details. Though the electric system is not running yet, I was finally able to pedal the bike around. I can tell you it rides really well. It is stable and very nimble. Compared to my Motoped, this thing is petite. The Motoped is very much a motorcycle. This is very much a bicycle in the way it feels and rides. It is far narrower, shorter, and the Q-factor is drastically narrower. It just feels better. It will, also, be about 20 pounds lighter than the Motoped while having 20% more battery capacity.

You can see I spaced the pedal sprocket 1 inch over toward the frame. This was done to compensate for the wider bottom bracket and put the chain in the proper alignment. I thought this would be a weak setup. But, no matter how hard I pedal, it stays straight and true.

Oh, I also modified the lower carbon fiber housing to fit around the cooling fans. I will take a few pictures of that when I have an opportunity.

Matt
Attachments
griz1.jpg
griz1.jpg (154.68 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz2.jpg
griz2.jpg (132.14 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz3.jpg
griz3.jpg (141.54 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz4.jpg
griz4.jpg (151.78 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz5.jpg
griz5.jpg (143.94 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz6.jpg
griz6.jpg (146.79 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz7.jpg
griz7.jpg (167.51 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz8.jpg
griz8.jpg (148.06 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
griz9.jpg
griz9.jpg (154.89 KiB) Viewed 2375 times

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Nov 16 2016 6:11pm

Looking gooooood.

How do you handle water with the motors being so exposed?
http://www.HamsFitness.com Strength, Conditioning & Diet

boisrondevens   100 W

100 W

Post by boisrondevens » Nov 16 2016 6:21pm

Woowww :lol:
Nice work!

Daim11   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Daim11 » Nov 16 2016 6:23pm

That is the finest two-wheeled electrified beauty I have ever laid eyes on!

Sean9002   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Sean9002 » Nov 16 2016 6:31pm

That bike instills both fear, and arousal in me!! :twisted:
OSET 20+ - Custom frame and swingarm, Motorims - 66V
Ruff Cycles Porucho - MXUS 3000w - whitewalls - Gloss black/Pearl blue/copper leaf - custom tanks - bobber saddle
Giant Glory 00 - Clyte X5404 - Hubsinks - 18FET Sinewave
Fuji Nevada S - MXUS 35mm- Hubsinks - 12FET Sinewave
39inch longboard Dual 50mm, 12s lipo

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 16 2016 7:07pm

Ham wrote:Looking gooooood.

How do you handle water with the motors being so exposed?
I don't ride in water. However, I do ride in snow. I have a carbon fiber housing that goes under the drive unit for snow riding. There are pictures of it on a previous page.

Matt

ElectricGod   1 GW

1 GW

Post by ElectricGod » Nov 16 2016 7:53pm

This bike is stunning. It looks well put together. I like the way the top motor sits in those slots so it acts like a belt tensioner.

Benjamin Franklin - "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."

MattyCiii   100 kW

100 kW

Post by MattyCiii » Nov 16 2016 9:43pm

Matt-

Those toothed idlers on the electric drive side... did you make or are they off-the-shelf?
1st build: Dahon Jetstream folding bike. Quick, reliable, capable of 32mph. Light enough to lift, folds for easy transport by car/bus/train.
2nd build: RC powered 2009 Norco A-Line. Top speed 39mph. Built like a tank, it's resistant to Boston potholes, can stop on a dime, easily goes up/down curbs when necessary.
3rd build (just started): Scratch build ultimate utility bike. Based on a common power module using a NuVinci left side freewheel.

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 16 2016 10:23pm

MattyCiii wrote:Matt-

Those toothed idlers on the electric drive side... did you make or are they off-the-shelf?
I had those made. They were $50 each. :shock:

Matt

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 19 2016 11:16am

Here is a picture of the lower drive unit cover/housing modified for cooling fan clearance.

Matt
Attachments
carbon fiber housing.png

izeman   100 GW

100 GW

Post by izeman » Nov 19 2016 11:28am

you seem to like the steam punk look. all those rivets :). i'd use black one to mask them.

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Nov 19 2016 11:49am

Looks great. I fear the UK mud would find it's way in there and spawn all sorts of Gremlins!

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 19 2016 5:30pm

Ham wrote:Looks great. I fear the UK mud would find it's way in there and spawn all sorts of Gremlins!
I would never ride in the mud. Way too difficult to clean off.

Matt

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 19 2016 6:19pm

izeman wrote:you seem to like the steam punk look. all those rivets :). i'd use black one to mask them.
I could not find black rivets locally. Besides, the silver rivets break up the otherwise very plain look of the bike.

Of course, esthetics are subjective.

Matt

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Nov 20 2016 5:04am

I'd rather not ride in the mud but sadly if i don't it means I'll never get out on it round here

ElectricGod   1 GW

1 GW

Post by ElectricGod » Nov 20 2016 10:44pm

A crazy powerful machine like this! I'd ride wherever I could.

motomoto   1 kW

1 kW

Post by motomoto » Nov 21 2016 10:58pm

I like they way the bike looks without the motor cover. I just had an electrical panel put in at my shop and
the guy was an artist with the wiring. A pretty wiring job is the bomb. Guys should be creative wiring their ebikes.

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 22 2016 7:20am

motomoto wrote:I like they way the bike looks without the motor cover. I just had an electrical panel put in at my shop and
the guy was an artist with the wiring. A pretty wiring job is the bomb. Guys should be creative wiring their ebikes.
I feel the same way. I was into competition car audio years ago. We focused alot of time on wiring.

The cover is only for snow riding.

Matt

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 26 2016 1:58pm

Not much to show in the way of pictures. However, I wanted to give a quick update;

Today I spent alot of time on electrical details. I fabricated the throttle and figured out the wiring of the Dominoe throttle (I have never used the Dominoe before), sourced a second controller from another project (I only had one controller available for this build), programmed the controllers, and did some other general wiring. What I have left to make is the primary wiring harness for the pack and the bike is finished. I am trying very hard to take my time on this build and not rush anything. Rather than cut corners for the sake of "Just getting the bike running", I have been more methodical than usual.

I am a few connectors short of what is needed to finish the bike. So, until more XT90s arrive, I will continue handling little details.

Oh, lastly, as a bike built with winter riding in mind, I have a set of LED headlights to install. I have one on another bike and it is wonderful. So, two of them on this bike should be great.

Matt

ElectricGod   1 GW

1 GW

Post by ElectricGod » Nov 28 2016 1:54am

recumpence wrote:Not much to show in the way of pictures. However, I wanted to give a quick update;

Today I spent alot of time on electrical details. I fabricated the throttle and figured out the wiring of the Dominoe throttle (I have never used the Dominoe before), sourced a second controller from another project (I only had one controller available for this build), programmed the controllers, and did some other general wiring. What I have left to make is the primary wiring harness for the pack and the bike is finished. I am trying very hard to take my time on this build and not rush anything. Rather than cut corners for the sake of "Just getting the bike running", I have been more methodical than usual.

I am a few connectors short of what is needed to finish the bike. So, until more XT90s arrive, I will continue handling little details.

Oh, lastly, as a bike built with winter riding in mind, I have a set of LED headlights to install. I have one on another bike and it is wonderful. So, two of them on this bike should be great.

Matt
What lights are you using?

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Nov 28 2016 7:56am

ElectricGod wrote:
recumpence wrote:Not much to show in the way of pictures. However, I wanted to give a quick update;

Matt
What lights are you using?
No name ebay LED headlights. I will post a picture when I can.

Matt

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW

Post by litespeed » Nov 28 2016 8:00am

And a link please if you truely think they are wonderful!

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!