Ultimate BBSHD Grin Phase Runner FOC 3000W

evolutiongts

10 kW
Hello here is my BBSHD with external controller

Sinewave Controller @74V 45a overspeed, field weakening, holy RPM's batman!

[youtube]TSLWGsCc0IQ[/youtube]

Cyclone 40a 36-72v controller @44V but tested 74V it hauls ass!

[youtube]t1Yse2J_fVM[/youtube]

More documentation to come

14358899_10207139419699946_4370102730849409741_n.jpg

Haha...great video and my thoughts exactly! Subscribed to find out where this madness takes us. Cuz hell yeah!

Been running this setup for a few days now. Bike is running perfectly.

I'm just using a standard KMC chain 9 speed.

Took it to 50mph down last vegas strip.

[youtube]QFD-BqaU-aQ[/youtube]

Riding with some dirt bikes! :)

[youtube]gpHiYNmiL60[/youtube]

Dirt Riding / Deep Sand / Hill Climb Capabilities

[youtube]sme2ZWjny-0[/youtube]

Hey, this is a nice idea!

I have a 20S Battery pack on my bike with a hub motor and wanted to use the BBSHD on another bike with the same battery pack.
This sounds like a nice alternative to splitting the battery!
Can you share some info on which controller you are using and how you connected it to the BBSHD?

Thanks already for the info!
Ulli

Yes I'm selling the controller soon.

It is a 12Fet Sinewave Fully Programmable also got temp reading using the BBSHD's internal temp sensor.

14519721_10207275279856365_4603903577228948054_n.jpg

Max Temps was 58C on 20min of mountain riding and steep hill climbs.

[youtube]i7-p8V1_xAg[/youtube]

[youtube]dLD5mwXnZAo[/youtube]

14581444_10207278508377076_4890971888734142509_n.jpg

[youtube]kxCO92WMJR8[/youtube]

How is the noise level compared to the stock controller?
I combined a VESC with my BBS02 and I can't get it to quiet down. It's much louder than the stock controller, even in FOC mode.

schwibsi said:
How is the noise level compared to the stock controller?
I combined a VESC with my BBS02 and I can't get it to quiet down. It's much louder than the stock controller, even in FOC mode.

Noise level is roughly the same as the internal controller so its relatively quiet. Perhaps only slightly louder from the higher RPMs

Crank up the volume, this thing sounds insane!

[youtube]QLGVlyJJq7o[/youtube]

Holy hell, ran it on 88V

14502975_10207295675886253_3152215227434618429_n.jpg

Wow, just sprinted up the same mountain in my previous videos. The results was as I expected, more usable speed in each gear. Granny gear maxes out at 21mph, holy shit only needed to use 2nd up the hill as oppose to 3rd or 4th to get the same result. Its like moving up to a bigger displacement motorcycle, again amp draw is minimal due to the voltage pushing back EMF. Sweet setup and should last as long as you are reasonable with the throttle.
58C peak temps. 35C ambient, very hot day today.

What was your maximum current draw on 88V? You're making me more and more interested in this mid drive.

I have a few questions about your bike. What is its bottom bracket width? What is the distance between the center of the Mighty Mini teeth and the face of the bottom bracket? I'm trying to determine if the chainline will work on my bike. Could you post a picture of your chainline if it's not too much trouble?

Can you use any sensored controller on it? So all I need to do is remove the stock controller and hook into the BBS' hall sensors and motor and I'm good to go?

evolutiongts said:
...ran it on 88V...

The chain line is the biggest issue for me right now. Thanks to evolutiongts, I got my BBSHD running on an external controller as well. Though I'm only doing 52volts, 40amps. I'm building up my 72 volt battery once I get some more nickel strip material. But I need to fix the chain line. I had to space out the drive from my bottom bracket in order to clear the the chain stay and some bits from the rear suspension. This really messes with the chain line.

what rpms do you get at 20s?
You can't pedal that bike, right? It's just like a motorcycle then.

How fast would you have to pedal a 30T chainring to get a bike to 40 mph? =)

schwibsi said:
what rpms do you get at 20s?
You can't pedal that bike, right? It's just like a motorcycle then.

Why would you run the BBSHD at 72v let alone 85 volts ? its fine for the power it has. if you want that power get the C3000w

The high voltage cancels out the main benefits it had at stock voltage of low noise and compact internal controller and it will never be as power full as the C3000w that does 6.5kw peak .

You loose the compact clean internal controller, LOW rpm and low noise and easily pedable crank cadence that goes with the standard voltage . And it still has less power than the c3000w and you will most likely swish cheese the plastic gears like karl did so why bother ? and for all that you get this bad chainline which is a design fail as they have the gear reduction where the chainwheels are supposed to be?? The c3000w has better chain line and also you can run a 2nd lower gear that the BBSHD cannot ad the gear reduction is in that spot.

Please report your equipment failures when they occur and not just your woohoo moments. You're doing valuable research, but folks need to be aware of the downsides.

Alex07: It's worth keeping in mind that the Cyclone uses a much more failure prone overrunning chainring, and it is configured to feed even more power than the BBSHD through bicycle gears designed for a small fraction of the power.

Karl blew up his BBSHD because he ran it at 65 amps. The best way to get more power is to increase the voltage. You want to run everything at higher RPMs so that you're not stressing out your components as much. Not being able to pedal with the motor at max RPM is a given (but do you really think you're adding anything when you're going 40 mph?).

I think running a higher voltage through the BBSHD is a great idea because it is still quieter than the Cyclone (not that the Cyclone is that loud in the first place) and probably a lot smoother sounding. To correct the chainline, you can use the Luna Eclipse chainring. To get the low range back, you can use a 50T cog like the one from OneUp. Shimano makes an 11-46 too.

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/products/products/50t-shark-sprocket-18t-1x11

Alex07 said:
Why would you run the BBSHD at 72v let alone 85 volts ? its fine for the power it has. if you want that power get the C3000w

The high voltage cancels out the main benefits it had at stock voltage of low noise and compact internal controller and it will never be as power full as the C3000w that does 6.5kw peak .

You loose the compact clean internal controller, LOW rpm and low noise and easily pedable crank cadence that goes with the standard voltage . And it still has less power than the c3000w and you will most likely swish cheese the plastic gears like karl did so why bother ? and for all that you get this bad chainline which is a design fail as they have the gear reduction where the chainwheels are supposed to be?? The c3000w has better chain line and also you can run a 2nd lower gear that the BBSHD cannot ad the gear reduction is in that spot.

Are you referring to the crankset freewheel failing?

I think Gman is a great example of someone that has proven how much a bicycle drivetrain can take from a Cyclone 3000. He has racked up almost 3000 miles, and he sends up to 6500 watts (90A @ 72V) through his system, so I don't think the longevity of the Cyclone 3000 setup is really much of an issue.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69867&start=1375#p1223967

Chalo said:
...the Cyclone uses a much more failure prone overrunning chainring, and it is configured to feed even more power than the BBSHD through bicycle gears designed for a small fraction of the power.

robocam said:
I think Gman is a great example of someone that has proven how much a bicycle drivetrain can take from a Cyclone 3000. He has racked up almost 3000 miles, and he sends up to 6500 watts (90A @ 72V) through his system, so I don't think the longevity of the Cyclone 3000 setup is really much of an issue.

Well, I know that longevity of bicycle drivetrains used with Stokemonkey on pedicabs is very much an issue, and Stokemonkey is running at a small fraction of the power y'all are discussing.

What are your thoughts on the Luna Eclipse?

StinkyGoalieGuy said:
The chain line is the biggest issue for me right now. Thanks to evolutiongts, I got my BBSHD running on an external controller as well. Though I'm only doing 52volts, 40amps. I'm building up my 72 volt battery once I get some more nickel strip material. But I need to fix the chain line. I had to space out the drive from my bottom bracket in order to clear the the chain stay and some bits from the rear suspension. This really messes with the chain line.

I'm using the Luna 30T and the chain line is great.

No failures and 450 miles racked up on 74V and now 88V. Most like I will go back down to 74V but power on 88V is nice.

I had the Cyclone 3000W but honestly not a big fan anymore. Too many moving parts, and motor mounts are junk. Not to mention noisy.

Not need for a 2nd chain ring, I barely use a few gears as it is. I have a wide RPM range at high voltage.

I like the bafang since its quiet, smooth, and power is unreal at high voltages. :) Better mounting system too.

But honestly there's no pointing in comparing this with cyclone. Its apples and oranges.

Back