Please list all Chainrings that easily work with BBSHD

g725s

100 mW
I would like to obtain a good list of front Chainrings that work with the Bafang BBSHD. And what are each chainrings distance to the BB (Bottom Bracket)?

Chainrings that I am aware of:

1. The stock heavy steel chainring (not sure how many tooth)

2. Luna Mighty-Mini 30 tooth BBSHD Chain Ring

3. Lekkie BBSHD Bling Ring Chainring 42 Tooth

4. BBSHD Aluminum Chainring Adapter and 42T Sprocket

5. BBSHD BA130 CHAINRING ADAPTER, FROM CALIFORNIA EBIKE

The reason for my Chainring research is because I would love to use a chainring adapter if that would give me the ability to have the option to use a larger variety of chainrings.

And another specification I want to find out is what is the distance from all the available chainrings (Especially using a chainring adapter) to the edge of the BB (Bottom Bracket). The build I want to do has a 100mm BB that I might want to cut down and use a 68mm BBSHD that I already have. And the stock crank/chainring (only one sprocket) puts the chain 1/4" to 3/8" from the side of the wheel when the chain is on the lowest gear. I would like to keep this chainline to what it is now. And this means keeping the chain this close to the tire when the chain is in the lowest gear.

So I would especially like to hear from those using a Chainring Adapter.

OK pretty much ended talking to myself here

But kept on searching and found a good thread over at electricbike.com here: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/motors-and-kits/bbshd/9447-bbshd-chainwheels-compared#post9447

Kind of what I was after, since chainline is what I was most interested in finding out about. And looking around I'm not finding any more options as far as chainrings than what I listed above and are in this thread I link to here.

The electric bike post and the list you provided are pretty much all I've been able to find too. The standard chainring is 46 tooth.

also found a good video from LUNA that shows some measurements, maybe a bit more precise even. As Eric here takes his measurements from the inside of the chainring, the Faceplate, unlike in the thread that I linked above which take the measurements from the top of the chainring. As all the faceplates would be different thickness most likely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOO2lWuVKo&t=226s

I bought Lunacycle's 130 bcd spider to allow me to use commercially available 130 bcd chainrings to drive my 29er bike.

I started by using Suggino 38T and 40T chainrings on a 9-speed 11-34 cassette with the 34T inner sprocket unavailable due to chainline issues. I wanted to utilize the 100 to 150 rpm efficiency sweetspot for the BBSHD and to easily climb 8 degree to 10 degree hills with my 280# carcass on the bike.

Problem is that my chain jumped off to the inside of the front chainring too frequently. A new chain helped a lot, but the ultimate solution was a Raceface 40T narrow-wide tooth chainring paired with a modified Shimano cassette. Most of Shimano's 9-speed cassettes have all the cogs pinned together to reduce cost. However, Shimano's CS-HG80 cassette has separate 11, 13, and 15 tooth outer cogs and two separate inner 3-cog spiders for the 17, 20, 23T cogs and 26, 30, 34 T cogs respectively. I placed a 20T single cog where the middle 3-cog spider was located and a 40T extended range cog inside the larger spider with a spacer to the inside. My 9-speed shifter now runs 8 cogs with 11-13-15-20-26-30-34-40 T spacing.

On my 29er I am still able to pedal at a tolerable cadence with the 11T cog between 15 and 18 mph. Above that speed its motor only.

You can also use thick washers to shift the chainwheel over a few mm, although you will have to file them for clearance on two edges. 38t is about as small as you can go with a 130 bcd, at least it is on my BBSHD. I was able to get the chain over into about the same place as when using a Mini 30 chainwheel from Luna. I also had to lose two of my 10 gears to space the cluster over two cogs for better alignment in granny gears. Given that I need the big cogs the most, I might try using 3 cogs as spacers in the back of the cluster. That will give 6 useable gears and an 11t overdrive. The 11t cog has to be used to lock it all together, so it's always going to be there.

The 30T was an unworkable chainline for me. The Cali eBike adapter is perfect for my one speed snow bike but can only use 38T as the smallest ring. It all hinges on the frame being used when choosing a chainring. The advantage of the adapters is being able to use standard chainrings. With Narrow Wide rings, as well as the Luna Eclipse 42T, you can't use a Connex eBike chain. Same goes for the Race Face rings.

Tomajasz:

Would you please explain the benefit(s) of using a Connex eBike chain or provide links for the unknowledgeable like me.

Lemlux said:
Tomajasz:

Would you please explain the benefit(s) of using a Connex eBike chain or provide links for the unknowledgeable like me.

Connex chains are heavy and incredibly well made. I've been wearing out cheap chains and wanted to try a chain made for eBike use. Sadly it didn't work out. Google connex or wipperman chains for more reviews and information.

42t Eclipse is working for me but only did one ride but it was really bumpy and no issues.

[youtube]9MVOsZnSAs8[/youtube]

Back