Framed Minnesota 1.0 2017 w/ Bafang BBSHD

mdkmr2

100 µW
Hi guys, I just wanted to share my first build with you all. I have a commercial ebike with a 500w MXUS rear hub motor that I used for commuting prior to this build that I put ~ 1300 miles on. I been visiting this forum frequently and gained a lot of knowledge from you all. I decided it was time to build my very own mid-drive setup. I made sure I had all the right tools ahead of time by reading up on similar builds that I found on here and went to work on it. The donor bike had a 100mm bottom bracket but I wasn't sure if I was going to run into clearance issues so I opted for the 100-120mm version of the BBSHD. I had ordered extra aluminum spacers from Luna Cycles because I knew I was need more than what was supplied in the kit. I did run into some issues with the motor not staying up against the frame at first. I found out it was because the locking triangle bracket was a bit angled and not flush against the bottom bracket. Once I got everything lined up and cranked down as hard as I could with the full surface of the bracket gripping the bottom bracket, the motor has not budged since. Aside from that one issue, everything went very smoothly after that.

After riding this bike a little while, it feels like a monster compared to my 500w hub bike. I mean first time I took it on a ride, I was grinning from ear to ear! :D I have only used the Mighty Mini 30q so far and have gone 10+ miles already in it. I'm not sure the range on the 13.5ah Shark yet though. I do have a Gear Sensor for it but I haven't installed it yet, I have been using the "brake tap" method of shifting gears and so far I haven't crunched the gears too hard. I also have the programming cable but I haven't felt to need to change anything from programming it was shipped with.

Here is a rundown of what went into the build and tools I used:

Tools

Hex Wrench Set
Park Tool BBT-22 Shimano Sealed Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool (Amazon)
Park Tool Crank Puller for Square Taper Cranks (Amazon)
LUNA Wrench BBSHD and BBS02 Mid Drive Installation Tool *Highly Recommended* (Luna Cycles)
Wire Strippers / Crimpers
Shrink Tube
Soldering Iron / Wire
Zip Ties

Build

Donor bike: Framed Minnesota 1.0 2017 Fatbike w/ free 29in extra wheel set :) (The House)
Motor: Bafang BBSHD 1000W (i mean 750W :lol:) Mid Drive (Luna Cycles)
Chain Ring: 42T Luna Eclipse *Black* (Luna Cycles)
Display: Luna Full Color Display (Luna Cycles)
Thottle: Bafang Half Twist Throttle *Right* (Luna Cycles)
Ebrakes: Bafang Handles with Built-in Ebrake cut off (Luna Cycles)
Connectors: XT90 w/ pigtails + XT60 MALE to Barrel MALE Plug Adapter (Luna Cycles) *Need adapter to connect Luna's Advanced Charger up to Shark Pack
Battery: 52v Panasonic GA 13.5ah Carbon Shark Pack + backup 52v Mighty Mini Cube Samsung 30q 6ah (Luna Cycles)
Charger: 52v Advanced 300w Luna Charger + Standard 3amp 52v Dolphin/Shark/Bottle Battery Charger (Luna Cycles)
Chain: KMC EPT 116L 9S for Ebike Chain, 1/2 x 3/32 x 9 (Amazon) *Same chain that came on the bike but 4 links longer (which I needed) and the metal on chain appears to have a different coating

Extras

Bafang BBSHD and BBS02 Programming Cable (Luna Cycles)
Gear Sensor for Bafang Mid Drives (Luna Cycles)
Lezyne Micro Floor Drive High-Volume Pump (Amazon)
Topeak D2 SmartGuage (Amazon)
MEETLOCKS Presta to Schrader Solid Brass Adapter *5 Pack*
Neon Yellow Zip Ties to match bike frame :D

Anyway, I hope you like my build. I know I do. :D

Don't mind the plastic still on a most of the parts, I wanted to make sure everything was in working order before I removed the protective plastics :eek:

Attachments

• ebike2.jpg
    ebike2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 3,398
  • ebike3.jpg
    ebike3.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 3,398
  • ebike4.jpg
    ebike4.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 3,398
  • ebike5.jpg
    ebike5.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 3,398
  • ebike6.jpg
    ebike6.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 3,398
Nice Tom Tom! I love the design of that frame! :mrgreen: That was one of the bikes I was looking at on Bikes Direct. Where did you get the rear rack?

Rack is an Axiom fatliner bought off ebay..$50ish

Bike was for sale off of local craigslist and hardly used at all.

I rode with the luna 30t/stock cassette for a couple weeks now Im trying out the 42t ring upfront with a 11x42 sunrace cassette.

Also put on vee h-billie tires. They have way less self steer than the stock tires.

Nice! How do you like the 30T? I imagine it rips up hills. Yeah, the Framed tires on this bike seem to be pretty decent. I'm happy with them, although I don't have anything to compare to as far as fat tires. I did hear that Mission tires that ship with a lot of the lower priced fat bikes aren't the greatest though.

I've added a saddle bag to hold my 52v Mighty Mini 30Q 6ah battery *pics below*. I used the same saddle bag from Amazon that forum user doctorbrody used on his Framed Alaskan build. It fits perfectly and very stealthy. Thank you for sharing your build doctorbrody!

Here is the link to his Framed Alaskan fatbike build for anyone interested:

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/16950-framed-alaskan-bluto-x7-bbshd-luna-mighty-mini-30q-the-fat-bastard

Attachments

• ebikebattery1.jpg
    ebikebattery1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,280
  • ebikebattery2.jpg
    ebikebattery2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3,280
  • ebikebattery3.jpg
    ebikebattery3.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3,280
  • ebikebattery4.jpg
    ebikebattery4.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 3,280
mdkmr2 said:
I've added a saddle bag to hold my 52v Mighty Mini 30Q 6ah battery *pics below*. I used the same saddle bag from Amazon that forum user doctorbrody used on his Framed Alaskan build.

Thanks for the pictures and tip on the saddle bag. The bag comes in three sizes. Could you share which one you used that fits the Mighty Mini so perfectly? Small, Medium or Large?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3W8FFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

great build. Im going to build a bbshd soon also. Im on the fence regarding a full rigid fat bike, or a dh full suspension bike. The fatbike is the cheaper route..however I have 0 snow, sand, where I am located. It will be road 80%, offroad 20%. Can you offer any insight?

Back