power steering electronic pump motor for e-bike

dekzz

1 µW
Heloo all,
I've been readng a lot incl. this forum since year or two... Saw a lot of crazy stuff as hobby motors, hub motors, other motors and controlers that are put into use into e-bikes... BUT... I try to find someone used a electro-hydraulic power steering pump motor in its own elecro bycicle. After hours of digging I did not find a clue. So. The reason is a friend of mine who took off such a pump from a crashed audi A2 or VW polo 9N - trw/koyo (do not know exactly, U can google it) and since he is in a motorcycle repair bussines he got an idea to put this electric motor into a bike using a proper gearing to it ofcource. He dissasembled the assy and it turns out it is a 12s14p (with a 7-pieces-magnet-rotor-polarised-N-S-each) outrunner with probably 2 phases (or maybe U can call it 4-phases) with center-tapped coils (sorry for my english) eventualy is a unipolar 4-coil stepper motor with 5 wires, one is common +12V. Since it is 12-stator-poles motor it turns out that it's windings were wound as follows: 1-2-3-7-8-9 as N-S-N-s-n-s and 2-4-6-10-11-12 as S-N-S-n-s-n. Means 3-by-3 against each other. This was verry strange for me, cuz I used to see a 3-pahse windings. Also in this particular motor there are 2 hall sensors (say at 12.785 degrees mechanically at each other) verry close to each others. So far we burned the stock mosfets trying to control trough can-bus with no great success. There are some videos in youtube with peope controlling this pump motor with some kind of tester, but this is not applicable to our case here. We gonna to replace the FETs and try my Arduino sensorless homemade control - 1-2-3-4 phase consecutively (wave drive), than full step, than half step all this with PWM duty cycle (490Hz base) adjustable manually 1-100% so we do not fry new MOSFETs. Later eventually I wil try to utilise the hall sensors for switching phases and control the torque and speed by PWM only. Hopefully it will happen somehow... And now my question(s) is(are): Have U saw shcha motor? Have U tried to control it anyway? How do I control it? What sequence to use for the phases better (wave, ful, half, micro)? Will it be enough to power a bycicle (since it powers a steering of a modern car)? What power would I expect of it?
Any toughs are welcome. I hope I did not mismatched the forum sections...
Regards

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a2/running_gear_self-diagnosis_for_esp_steering/self_diagnosis_v.a.g_inspection_service/electrical_check_on_electrohydraulic_steering/connectors_and_contact_assignment_of_power_steering_control_unit_-j500/

i had a golf with a steering angle sensor gone bad that was a pain in the butt so it might be the same type i don't no.

it is prob just a brushed motor. that gets the feedback off the hall sensors to the power steering ecu to control the speed.
the can bus is prob only use for error codes and not speed control.
ad

Here's one of the videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9o8TAgD9U8

The pump is the first one of the video. It seems that this tester can control speed in certain ways. Looks a way powerfull :)
The pump is made by TRW and is unipolar brushles 12s14p and windings are sutuated 3 by 3 against each other at 90 degrees all 4 with common point. The FLUKE showed 240milliohms per coil. I think the CAN-control in our case is not applicable. Maybe more damage is done to stock control board. Will stick to Arduino control for now.

BTW yesterday my friend got another steering pump from a french car (Peugeot/Citroen). He did not dissasembled it completely, but it looks that it is maybe a 3-phase motor this time. He said that there are 3 hall sensors maybe. So if it is so a 3-phase sensored controller can do the spinning :)

So lets come back to TRW audi/vw pump and the way to spin it. When we manually power the 4 coils consecutively (current limited) one after another the rotor makes 360/28=12.8 degree steps. This I beleave is called wave-drive. When the hardware is ready for testing I can switch to full-drive or half-step... Does any one have another ideas? I can try to make some pictures next time...

Feel free to comment at any time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsa-B-C-Kit-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-With-ECU-plug-EPAS-/180985073152

????

This device looks to me like steering assistant adjuster, not for independent control...
Until end of the week we should test the ardino drive and gain some results. Thinking about 24Volts for the beginning :roll: Will try to video that...

Still could not test it, but here what it looks like in general:
EPS VAG motor.JPG
view

Back