Anyone have this problem with the BBSHD

JTL

10 W
I spend a fair amount of time with my ebike so perhaps I am more sensitive to things I find odd. I emailed Luna about the strange behavior of the BBSHD when you move the bike in reverse, not freewheeling the pedals but actually pushing the bike backwards. Luna said it was normal and referred me to this reddit comment. It is a jerking motion that even shakes the chain. It appears to me to be coming from the clutch or the large gear not the motor portion. I know for a fact that my BBS02 did not do this, but it had other clutch issues. I think i may be the pawls clicking past the notches which they should in reverse but it is pretty dramatic. Has anyone experienced this issue? I have a video but I don't think I can post it to this forum, at least I don't know how. I asked this in the electricbike.com forum but no one reponded.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comm...33&sh=61ccc8de

The free wheels only spin free when traveling forward so when you push a bike backwards the pedals and the motor are forced to spin with it. What you feel is the motor cogging. Totally normal.

I've been liking the bbshd but there are a few issues
The weakest part of the unit is the clutch pawls

I ride really hard and I took out the clutch
Fortunately its an easy and inexpensive repair
I'd suggest you remove the main gear and check
Clean and re lube

Mine clicks and shakes the chain when pushing backwards.
I stripped the final drive and it was well lubed so I put fresh in and closed it back up.
I guess its just normal so as long as it doesnt get any worse I am happy with it.
2400 miles on it so far.

Back