Motor shuts down

k-harvey

100 W
motor shuts down

Postby k-harvey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm
Hi --I'm not sure what column to put this
Motor is cyclone 960w 36v brushless with ex controller from 36v LIFEPO4 battery with BMS --on an e bike.
Motor stops initially with power indicator lights still showing indicating the controller has shut down & probably needs to be replaced.
But then power from battery shuts down indicating its the BMS especially as with reconnecting power goes on again
Could it be only the controller that's faulty thereby BMS shutting down .Volts seem to be high all the time to then zero telling me no LVC problem.
On this bike BMS was a bit inadequate with too much use it did shut down before this---but would hate to replace it then find its the controller.
I will have to find a 36v sla battery to test the controller but are these symptoms familiar to anyone?

k-harvey

Most likely the battery. Can we have some more details about it? A typical 10Ah LiFePO4 battery can give about 20 amps. What's the maximum current thatyour controller allows?

Its a 36v 15ah battery max current in specs were i think 30amp. The cyclone 960 w motor with this controller I did for a time run on 48v but decided not realy a bike with so much power. On the 36v was running every day with only the BMS shutting down when using motor too much. Have today hired 3 12v batteries to test if it goes on these.

Added to this with these batteries found it to be the controller, I could buy anther on E bay as i once did but wiring up was impossible to kn ow what went where with cyclone motor -----is there any one with their cheap controller connections to cyclone advice.?

Hi again to who could help ---looks like my analyzing the controller to be faulty was incorrect as I still have the problem after installing a new cyclone controller from Br Paco Taiwan.I have a spare throttle It still does it with both,& with using the 3 12v sla batteries to make 36v proving its not battery I can now assume its the motor at fault , is this a thing that can happen to these brush less motors that have external controllers ??

I've analyzed the problem with my 36v 960w cyclone kit to be the motor - the motor goes then shuts down under load- tried sla batteries, new controller ,& another throttle.
Br paco Cyclone Taiwan says dismantle motor could be burnt PCB there is no sign of any burnt circuitry. Does this sound like a motor fault or was my second controller a faulty one , or second throttle. Or supplied faulty or installed faulty.??????

If you are running a Cyclone 3000W on SLA batteries, there is a chance the Cyclone is drawing heavy amps, and the SLAs are sagging so bad that they are temporarily hitting the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC). Just a guess...

thanks for reply .
I did suspect LVC shutting motor 48 v newly charged sla battery cuts out at 42v & at 36v cuts out at 31v does this sound right ? as I've had this problem before with cyclone controllers but classed it as being the batteries being very old .
Edward lyen (the genius) sold one programed with lower LVC which fixed it & made my day.
I've told cyclone man Br Paco of this & he's made me good offer of new motor but what if still is the controller---now 2 of them.
There is no sign of burning to PCB in motor as Br Paco thought there could be.

Kevin

It could be an incompatibility between the BMS and the controller. I had two Lyen 4110s that didn't like the Luna BMS or vise versa. They worked find with EM3ev batteries. And the Luna batteries worked find with other controllers.

The only thing besides a damaged motor with not showing any burn to me it could be that the LIFePo4 battery suddenly cannot keep voltage high enough for the LVC . this I have had with old batteries & did not happen suddenly. I can only assume that the 3 & 4 SLA batteries i've tried ,not being ban new also lower there voltage to much for the LVC 's on both controllers.
Am now trying 3 (12v) bran new SLA batteries to test this theory as I could get Cyclones good deal on motor & be just as bad off.

Back