Need advice on fat tadpole trike BBSHD build

JohnT818

10 mW
Hello ES! I could use your advice. I've been thinking about installing a BBSHD on a Sun Seeker Fat Tad (fat tire tadpole trike) for a long while now, and I keep putting it off. I tend to overanalyze things, and there always seems to be more to learn. Help me pull the trigger by looking this over and telling me where I'm going right or wrong.

MY GOALS - I'd like to do close to 30mph top speed, and good hill climbing is important. This thing seems built for trail riding, so I definitely should do some, but I'll probably spend much more time on the road, where I'd like at least a 30 mile range, with moderate pedaling at 17-20mph. 40 miles would be better.

TRIKE - Here's the big, heavy trike that I bought - 20" fat tires, full suspension, front disk brakes.
http://sunseeker.bike/index.php/products/fat-tad/

BATTERY - I think this is where I need the most help. I want a safe technology. I figure I need maybe 15 to 20Ah at 48 or 52V to get the range I want, so I'm thinking 20 to 25Ah, just to be safe. Does this sound reasonable, or am I overestimating the inefficiency of this monster? Does it make sense to just wire two Shark packs (or similar) in parallel, or would it be better to have a single larger pack custom made? Can anyone recommend a 20 to 25Ah non-custom pack that's not strained at 30A? I'm also considering just wiring one Shark pack and carrying a spare when needed, but that seems less fun.

DISPLAY - I've read that Luna's color display is nice, but I'd really like to get familiar with the Cycle Analyst. Does it make sense to have both? Should I consider the CA, with a monochrome Bafang display instead?

CHAINRING - There seems to be a few options available, and many people seem to swap them out. With a weird rig like this, should I just try it stock first, and see how it pedals before deciding whether to go to a 42 or 30 tooth?

PROGRAMMING CABLE - I'd like to be able to program for on-road or off-road power levels. I assume I need to purchase a programming cable, but the software is readily available. Did I hear that an older Windows OS is required? Any other hardware I need?

MISCELLANEOUS - Is a gear sensor still recommended? I have a lock ring tool. Is the Luna Wrench that much better? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks!
John T.

Thanks, for the link, eTrike! I forgot that Paul did larger packs. I'll have to take a closer look.

I wanted to do a BBSHD to learn more about mid-drives, but I haven't ruled out hubs completely. If I went hub, I was thinking geared, but if you're talking better braking, do you mean regen on a direct drive?

I have a fair number of bike tools, including a lockring tool, I think by Park Tool. I was just wondering if there was something about the job that would be done significantly easier with the Luna product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, awesome platform to build from!

I like hub motors for tadpole etrikes so that the chain, which is longer and runs through multiple tensioners/guides does not always have to be whirring away while buzzing around. I also like that this transfers more weight backwards, since traction can be hairy on tadpole etrikes, which can be fun of course ;)

I am also a hub motor advocate for what it is worth, and do love a few of the BBSHD tadpole trikes I have ridden, but for my needs and running higher power, I like going with direct drive hub motors on these. If you are going to be using the 20' fat bike tires for what they are designed for (lots of offroad riding, some slow speed steep climbing, etc) you may want to opt for middrive, but my experience with mid drives has always been they are fantastic in super steep sections, and annoying for the other 98% of my riding :)

Good luck on the build! will watch this one.

Back