TSDZ2 mid motor VLCD Display Programming & Activation

Schnauzer

100 µW
Hi
I am a newbie at requesting information on a forum and I do hope that I have adopted the correct procedure and that I have posted to the appropriate topic.

I ride a Merida Big.Seven 20-D Mountain Bike fitted with the TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor with the VLCD-Display mounted on the handle bar.

I noticed a topic relating to the program configuration of the TSDZ2 which changed the parameters controlling the motor speed etc was discussed / described. My interest was the item relating to the turning on of the 6km speed function.

My understanding is that this can be turned on (default) is off so that should you need to push the bike up a hill etc some assistance from the motor can be given.

I have turned this 6km function on But how do I activate it, I assume its the pushing of or some combinations of the buttons on the display????

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

You hold down the - button (or was it the +, I forgot).

After one second it starts rolling with a small jerk.

For me this really is a useless function the way it is implemented. Usually one would want to use this just to get a little push when wheeling the bike around, but the that 1 second delay is so annoying that I never use it.

In addition to that the power level of that walk-assist, as it is called, is so low that the bike can barely push it self up a small incline. On the flat it struggles to push it faster than 4 km/h which is below a descent walking speed.

So if it was able to actually do 6 km/h and do a descent job at helping me wheel the bike out of my underground garage it would be ok.

Hi
Thanks very much for the assistance in explaining the activation procedure for the 6Km/h startup.

I have tried your suggestion of holding the - button down for one second but that did not work, also tried the +button with the same results.

I checked to ensure that the 6Km/h was turned on in the setup menu and it is.

I am now wondering what software version number is installed in your controller, it may be different to mine? But thanks for your assistance Cheers

I don't know if my Fusin 1000w geared hub kit is the same control as yours, but you can look thru that thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877&hilit=fusin+1000w
and see if how it's walk mode works is like yours.

However, I also found that mode basically useless after some experimentation with it. Instead, what I would've done if I needed a walk mode would be to wire up a button on the handlebar to connect the throttle input line on the controlelr to a voltage divider (or potentiometer) that would let me pre-set the speed I want out of it, and then just push the button whenever I need it. If a potentiomeer is used to set it up, then you can change the amount of assist whenever you have to.

You could even use it as a cruise control, just holding the button rather than the throttle.

Hi - thank you for sharing that topic with me, but regretfully the mid mount TSDZ2 motor has no throttle its pedal assist only,however thanks for taking the time to read my post, most appreciated

Hey guys thinking of getting one of these motors and seen some really mixed reviews where motor cuts out while pedalling on level ground and assist gets weaker and weaker, batteries cutting out, etc..

What's your experience, is it a winner or should I give it a wide berth ?

Schnauzer said:
I have turned this 6km function on But how do I activate it, I assume its the pushing of or some combinations of the buttons on the display????

On mine this works when you push the - and the i button at the same time

jbalat said:
Hey guys thinking of getting one of these motors and seen some really mixed reviews where motor cuts out while pedalling on level ground and assist gets weaker and weaker, batteries cutting out, etc..

What's your experience, is it a winner or should I give it a wide berth ?

So far our experience has been positive with the 350v system.it has very natural pedal feel(feels like power steering)and good torque for a 36v system.haven't had any quality issues other than a rubber seal in the torque sensor which I was able to source from McMaster Carr.parts from China take awhile though,the seal from there took about three weeks to get.If you buy one I would order a replacement plastic gear at the same time for a spare.we have it matched to a Nuvinci n360 that works well with it.over all pretty happy with it so far.

My experience has been good with this 350v system, my rides are usually about 40 - 50km. At this distance the battery capacity is excellent, dropping down to about 1/2 scale but of the two recent rides that I had I notice that the torque sensor does not appear to be as sensitive as it was when I first purchased the bike.

Actually I wondered if the motor was giving me any assistance at all when riding on a flat cycle trail but when I attempted a few hill climbs the motor certainly came alive.

I need to do a few more checks and take note how quickly I need to pedal to get the motor to assist me and will report back with my findings.

As per my original request for information on how to activate the 6km function I have had no success - I think I have tried Hangdog suggestion, but will have another crack at it tomorrow.

BTW Hangdog what sort of fault indicated to you that the rubber seal in the torque sensor was at fault? This could be causing the lack of sensitivity of my torque converter.

There was no fault...parts of it came out from between the torque sensor and the crankset.also you must realize that a torque sensor is measuring watts of human power to the pedals,when you reach cruising speed on the flats your pedal torque drops off so your assist drops off accordingly.thats why you feel the assist when you begin uphill.I doubt there's anything wrong with your system,If your comparing it to a pas system where it only senses pedal rotation it's going to work and feel different.

BTW Schnauzer...an inexpensive watt meter(about $15 online)mounted inline between the battery and the motor would tell you everything you need to know about how your system is working.you will be able to see when the watts rise and fall in relation to your pedal force and speed and help you understand when your motor is assisting and when it's not.why guess at it,the watt meter won't lie

I assume you guys are running 36v.. What is that actually at full charge ?
I want to run Lipo and someone mentioned that it has a high voltage cutoff after 11s. A comment was made that at 10s it felt sluggish but 11s it came alive, at 12s it would shut down..
There is one motor on aliexpress that claims 500w and 48v.. Consensus is that this is possibly a software update with the high voltage limit removed.

Other rumours are that there is a real 500w version coming soon ?
Ready to take the plunge soon but need some more info.

Btw which display is best ? I hear the bigger one has a sub output for your phone but the smaller one has a light switch, any thoughts ?

Thanks all appreciate your comments.

jbalat said:
I want to run Lipo and someone mentioned that it has a high voltage cutoff after 11s. A comment was made that at 10s it felt sluggish but 11s it came alive, at 12s it would shut down..
There is one motor on aliexpress that claims 500w and 48v.. Consensus is that this is possibly a software update with the high voltage limit removed.

Btw which display is best ? I hear the bigger one has a sub output for your phone but the smaller one has a light switch, any thoughts ?

100% charge = 42v
If there's a sub output for a phone I haven't seen it
Can't answer your other questions

jbalat said:

Battery Voltage fully charged measured with "No Load". = 41.5v
I can confirm that the display that came with my installation is the larger one. Having a look at the sockets at the rear of the display, none have a USB fitting so i doubt if it would be suitable for charging a phone (Its a miniature 3 pin socket). Sorry can't help you with the other questions-Cheers

Hangdog said:
Schnauzer said:

On mine this works when you push the - and the i button at the same time

I tried pushing the - and the i button simultaneously but that did not start the bike rolling. I rechecked the setting of the display program and this 6km function is definitely turned on. I checked all the other parameters within the program and nothing else jumps out to me that needs changing. We now have no agents in New Zealand for this product so there is not much i can do about it - I have sent emails to various companies dealing with this product but received no reply.

Your comments relating to the torque sensor is noted and i thank you for them - will try to get a DC wattmeter and do some checking etc.

jbalat said:

I have both displays. Both can power a light through one of the pins going to the speed sensor (or so they say on the other tsdz2-thread). The larger display can also tell you your average speed and riding time as well as charge your phone (really slowly - I think 200-300 mA). The phone charging is practically useless. I've used it once and there's not enough current to charge the phone with the screen on. But it's usefull to slow down your phone's battery drain. The larger display also has the option of connecting brake levers with a motor cut-out switch.

The smaller one isn't really that small. Instead of plus/minus buttons you twist a handle. It's not as ergonomic in my opinion as the buttons that go with the larger display. The colour display is also a little difficult to read in direct sunlight. Other than that, I kind of like it. Smaller and simpler. Some times I wish I could turn off the backlight during night rides.

I now use the smaller display. Occaisonally I miss knowing what my average speed is, but what would be really usefull is having a power/consumption readout in the display. Both the smaller and larger displays seem to be able to show that, but it doesn't look like it's been enabled in the software versions on mine.

Thanks, I think I might go for the larger display, my handlebar is 31.8mm in the middle, I assume it will fit ? Also I would be mounting this on a dual suspension bike which means I can't use the rear attach mount. From what I have heard others have just left the motor unsecured at the back and it is still ok ?
So do you recommend a spare blue gear ?
Also where is the phone charge socket on the big display ?

jbalat said:
So do you recommend a spare blue gear ?
Also where is the phone charge socket on the big display ?

The usb-socket is at the bottom of the display. Behind a rubber flap. Have a look at the pictures.

I have a spare blue gear and I haven't needed a new one the past 3000 km. But they're easy to replace so why not?

But I would try and get some shims and washers for the motor's internals included. One of the first things I did after I bought this motor was to add a couple of shims on the crank to tighten it up. There are some sloppy tolerances on this motor.

Attachments

• DSC_9868.JPG
    DSC_9868.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 7,745
  • DSC_9871.JPG
    DSC_9871.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 7,745
  • DSC_9872.JPG
    DSC_9872.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 7,745
Hi Hangdog. I read one of your posts about the torque sensor on the TSDZ2 motor and you found a rubber ring missing between the chainwheel. Is this the very fine o-ring perhaps that fits neatly to the side of the unit?
I transferred to a higher 44t from a 42t chainwheel last night in the hope i could get a little more speed and assistance at higher end but in fact I found the torque sensor to be less effective and a little 'jumpy'. It seems to assist at first but dropped of at the mid end. Very strange...I wonder if its this rubber ring you were talking of that could be affecting it perhaps??

On another matter, Anyone know what AH (A) setting to set at in the VLCD5? its currently set to 16 which I presume is 16ah. I have a 36v 7ah battery and wondered if I could push the Ah setting up in the settings??

Thanks

Hangdog said:
There was no fault...parts of it came out from between the torque sensor and the crankset.also you must realize that a torque sensor is measuring watts of human power to the pedals,when you reach cruising speed on the flats your pedal torque drops off so your assist drops off accordingly.thats why you feel the assist when you begin uphill.I doubt there's anything wrong with your system,If your comparing it to a pas system where it only senses pedal rotation it's going to work and feel different.

Hi Hangdog. I read one of your posts about the torque sensor on the TSDZ2 motor and you found a rubber ring missing between the chainwheel. Is this the very fine o-ring perhaps that fits neatly to the side of the unit?
I transferred to a higher 44t from a 42t chainwheel last night in the hope i could get a little more speed and assistance at higher end but in fact I found the torque sensor to be less effective and a little 'jumpy'. It seems to assist at first but dropped of at the mid end. Very strange...I wonder if its this rubber ring you were talking of that could be affecting it perhaps??

On another matter, Anyone know what AH (A) setting to set at in the VLCD5? its currently set to 16 which I presume is 16ah. I have a 36v 7ah battery and wondered if I could push the Ah setting up in the settings??

I have 48V- 500W TSDZ2 with VLCD-5 it is working well, but I like to add a thumb throttle. I bought a throttle which claims to be compatible.
I have tried each of the 3 ports on the back of the display with no luck. The ports are three pin and the throttle plugs in but no functionality.
Does any one have any details about the ports or if a throttle can be added??
Thanks

deversi said:
I have 48V- 500W TSDZ2 with VLCD-5 it is working well, but I like to add a thumb throttle. I bought a throttle which claims to be compatible.
I have tried each of the 3 ports on the back of the display with no luck. The ports are three pin and the throttle plugs in but no functionality.
Does any one have any details about the ports or if a throttle can be added??
Thanks

I believe you need an 8pin controller and perhaps an 8 pin compatible display to connect to the display. You can probably upgrade to an 8 pin controller and wire the throttle to that, or you need to solder a wire onto your controller and hook the throttle up directly to the controller. I believe they discuss it here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818&p=1374452&hilit=tsdz2+6+pin+controller+throttle#p1374452

Back