Stokemonkey Knock-off

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
pat_smtih
1 mW
1 mW

Stokemonkey Knock-off

Post by pat_smtih » Feb 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Just posted my pictures over in the "before and after" thread:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 84#p131884

I live in a very hilly area and wanted to keep all my gears. I decided to copy the design of the Cleverchimp Stokemonkey: http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/

So far it has performed well though I think I need to upgrade my SLA batteries. On the steepest hills (>15%) the motor seems to be wanting more current than the batteries can supply. Also I want to get a throttle better suited for my drop bars.

etard
10 MW
10 MW

Re: Stokemonkey Knock-off

Post by etard » Feb 12, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm lovin the buckets, you could put alot of batteries in there, along with the groceries. I am a little concerned about your mounting location, I guess you better wear lycra shorts or you might end up naked. How does it handle on road bike tires? I was going to go uberlight, bought the bike and everything. Then after about 10 miles on those skinny tires I scrapped it. You should be able to find a good cheap alternative to SLA since battery prices seem to be going down.
Four wheels moves the body, Two wheels moves the soul
Thanks to Justin @ http://www.ebike.ca He brings the soul to ES

voicecoils
10 MW
10 MW

Post by voicecoils » Feb 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Nice work.

How do you find changing gears under power, does the 'assist' match your cadence uphill, downhill, etc? Are you able to hold a significantly higher cadence uphill?

Any problems with leg clearance on the left hand side?

You could probably make a chain guard that followed the chainline, protecting your leg and keeping muck out.

Cheers!

pat_smtih
1 mW
1 mW

Post by pat_smtih » Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm

etard wrote:I'm lovin the buckets, you could put alot of batteries in there, along with the groceries.
I had the buckets before I added the motor. Things tend to get soggy here in the NW. :D
etard wrote: I am a little concerned about your mounting location, I guess you better wear lycra shorts or you might end up naked. How does it handle on road bike tires? I was going to go uberlight, bought the bike and everything. Then after about 10 miles on those skinny tires I scrapped it. You should be able to find a good cheap alternative to SLA since battery prices seem to be going down.
I haven't tried it with loose clothing. I always commute in Lycra anyways and get changed afterward. I don't recall ever touching the chain while riding, just when I dismount.

I have 700 x 32 tires and they seem to handle it pretty well.

pat_smtih
1 mW
1 mW

Post by pat_smtih » Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm

voicecoils wrote:Nice work.
Thanks.
voicecoils wrote:How do you find changing gears under power, does the 'assist' match your cadence uphill, downhill, etc? Are you able to hold a significantly higher cadence uphill?
I've found that I need ease off the throttle a little bit to shift. I like to spin and have it geared so it spins the cranks at about 105-110 max (14t freewheel driving a 38t chainring). I seem to be using my usual cadence uphill just in a higher gear.
voicecoils wrote:Any problems with leg clearance on the left hand side?
Not that I notice but I haven't tried it with any loose clothing. Other than the occasional dismount I don't seem to touch the chain. The tensioner really helped with any slack so the chain doesn't deviate laterally at all. The chain line does have a slight angle and I plan on moving the chainring out a cm or so to fix that but hopefully it won't affect the clearance by my calf.
voicecoils wrote:You could probably make a chain guard that followed the chainline, protecting your leg and keeping muck out.
I have thought about getting a chain tube like the ones recumbents use but I haven't really needed any protection yet.