Stokemonkey Knock-off

pat_smtih

1 mW
Just posted my pictures over in the "before and after" thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&p=131884#p131884

I live in a very hilly area and wanted to keep all my gears. I decided to copy the design of the Cleverchimp Stokemonkey: http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/

So far it has performed well though I think I need to upgrade my SLA batteries. On the steepest hills (>15%) the motor seems to be wanting more current than the batteries can supply. Also I want to get a throttle better suited for my drop bars.

I'm lovin the buckets, you could put alot of batteries in there, along with the groceries. I am a little concerned about your mounting location, I guess you better wear lycra shorts or you might end up naked. How does it handle on road bike tires? I was going to go uberlight, bought the bike and everything. Then after about 10 miles on those skinny tires I scrapped it. You should be able to find a good cheap alternative to SLA since battery prices seem to be going down.

Nice work.

How do you find changing gears under power, does the 'assist' match your cadence uphill, downhill, etc? Are you able to hold a significantly higher cadence uphill?

Any problems with leg clearance on the left hand side?

You could probably make a chain guard that followed the chainline, protecting your leg and keeping muck out.

Cheers!

etard said:
I'm lovin the buckets, you could put alot of batteries in there, along with the groceries.

I had the buckets before I added the motor. Things tend to get soggy here in the NW. :D

etard said:
I am a little concerned about your mounting location, I guess you better wear lycra shorts or you might end up naked. How does it handle on road bike tires? I was going to go uberlight, bought the bike and everything. Then after about 10 miles on those skinny tires I scrapped it. You should be able to find a good cheap alternative to SLA since battery prices seem to be going down.

I haven't tried it with loose clothing. I always commute in Lycra anyways and get changed afterward. I don't recall ever touching the chain while riding, just when I dismount.

I have 700 x 32 tires and they seem to handle it pretty well.

voicecoils said:
Nice work.

Thanks.

voicecoils said:
How do you find changing gears under power, does the 'assist' match your cadence uphill, downhill, etc? Are you able to hold a significantly higher cadence uphill?

I've found that I need ease off the throttle a little bit to shift. I like to spin and have it geared so it spins the cranks at about 105-110 max (14t freewheel driving a 38t chainring). I seem to be using my usual cadence uphill just in a higher gear.

voicecoils said:
Any problems with leg clearance on the left hand side?

Not that I notice but I haven't tried it with any loose clothing. Other than the occasional dismount I don't seem to touch the chain. The tensioner really helped with any slack so the chain doesn't deviate laterally at all. The chain line does have a slight angle and I plan on moving the chainring out a cm or so to fix that but hopefully it won't affect the clearance by my calf.

voicecoils said:
You could probably make a chain guard that followed the chainline, protecting your leg and keeping muck out.

I have thought about getting a chain tube like the ones recumbents use but I haven't really needed any protection yet.

Back