small / external controller mid drive

Dumsterdave

100 W
I have a cargo trike that i need to put a mid drive on.. Problem is that the frame is odd and will not allow for mounting below the bottom bracket and a simple bafang/8fun BBSxx is just too big for the weldend triangle above the bottom bracket... So i need somethign small that i can throw into the triangle without having to modify the trike. I found a website ( https://boxbike.dk/da/elcykel-kit/162-elcykel-kit-christiania-ladcykel.html )that sells a kit specific to my bike, but its over priced and underpowered, plus i only need the motor and they will only sell the complete kit.

I am looking for something in the 500-750w range, but i would possibly consider buying a 250 or 350 if it is all that i can find. I have a few hub motors lying around, but for this bike I need to go middrive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 21.55.31.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 21.55.31.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,338
there are a number of builds uisng a hub as a middrive, either thru the main pedal chain or on it's own chain to the left side of the rear wheel.

li-ghtcycle, rassy, crossbreak, are three i can think of right now that have done hub middrives, and i know there are lots of other i can't remember right now.

Have you found a good one?

i am keeping an eye here just in case , i am also looking for something small that can fit between the crank without having a offset or super wide crank ..
with luck someone will pitch in other ideas or infos

-Cyclone 650-1200w is 6,5'' wide and a bit noisy
-GNG 450w (the new with improved heat radiating case) also with planetary gear reduction, but cant find any one who use it , they all use the pulley reduction type , so i am questioning the reliability of the planetary gears , or it might just be about the noise?
-only other things at reasonably price are brushed geared motor =very noisy and require regular maintenance , but dirt cheap

Personally I will use a hub motor for my slowly ongoing winter quad build.
It will also fit between the cranks.

The low rpm dd hubs make gearing for a jackshaft a lot easier as well.
So even if they are a few kg heavier, I think it is a reasonable compromise on a bike that is heavy to start with.

On the other hand I find it sufficient to use a dd hub in a wheel on a cargobike as well.
Especially in a flat place like Copenhagen. Will need one of the beefier hubs, but if that's ok it works.

Hi, have you eliminated any possibility of simply hanging a BBS unit below your BB? I've done this on a 2 wheeled cargo bike which has an unusual frame and it has worked very well.
Sam

samsavvas said:
Hi, have you eliminated any possibility of simply hanging a BBS unit below your BB? I've done this on a 2 wheeled cargo bike which has an unusual frame and it has worked very well.
Sam

Heres what the bottom bracket looks like. The picture shows a BBS02 fitted into the space above the BB, but his bike was steel and mine aluminium. So he was able to weld and new bit on that made the triangle a little bigger... Also, he had to dent the frame, which i wouldnt want to do with aluminium.

Ive also spoken to a shop here that makes these trikes electric and they say that the bbs will not fit without modification

1HP said:
Have you found a good one?

i am keeping an eye here just in case , i am also looking for something small that can fit between the crank without having a offset or super wide crank ..
with luck someone will pitch in other ideas or infos

-Cyclone 650-1200w is 6,5'' wide and a bit noisy
-GNG 450w (the new with improved heat radiating case) also with planetary gear reduction, but cant find any one who use it , they all use the pulley reduction type , so i am questioning the reliability of the planetary gears , or it might just be about the noise?
-only other things at reasonably price are brushed geared motor =very noisy and require regular maintenance , but dirt cheap

I was looking at the cyclone mid drives and it seems like they would work. I have a lot of other project going on right now so i havent made any progress on the christiania bike/trike

Back