GNG Ultralight RC Mid Drive with Bluetooth control

teslanv

1 MW
http://www.gngebike.com/ultralight-300w-kit

06.jpg

02-1.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

I just placed an order for this little RC MId Drive that GNG just came out with.

It will be going on a very lightweight XC Bike.

I think this little drive has some potential, and looks to be a perfect fit for a brick of 6S LiPo, as the ESC is rated for 22.2V Nominal.

It's a low-power drive (About 300W, per the manufacturer) but I do intend to see how far I can push it. :)

Other reported features include Bluetooth connectivity, and a built-in cadence PAS sensor. It actually does not have any throttle, which is OK by me. KISS.

The Manufacturer lists the weight as 1.55Kg. (3.41 lbs.) or about 40% the weight of a BBS02. Weight weenies rejoice!

Looking forward to reporting back with more info soon.

I am curious about the diameter of the motor-shaft, and also the configuration of the interface it mates with. It "should" be fairly easy to upgrade the motor size to an 80mm. These RC motors can easily have their shafts removed, and you can buy spare shafts to modify without "ruining" the motor for other jobs. I have modified hobby King motor shafts, and I found it to be pretty easy...

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21365&start=60#p322332

Looks like a 50mm diameter motor. Going to even just a 63mm would be an improvement...

Very interested in how this claimed light weight motor works out. It appears the weight they state is for the motor itself only, not including mounting hardware, sprockets, chains, BB, etc... (correct me if I'm wrong). The BaFang BBS02 contains all those other things. Please weigh it in once received.

It also comes in a triangle mounting configuration:

wldl6w.jpg

Can you tell where the freewheel is? Does it have a simple push button 1-5 power level control or Blue Tooth (BT) only? Kind of hard to repeatedly adjust on the fly if it is BT only.

How about the RPM and actual gear reduction numbers? It says high reduction, but I didn't see any actual numbers stated or tooth count for the motor or left crank sprockets???

Look forward to your experience with this one!

Very tempting ,I have laying arround a 1200kv 3000watt motor with controller :roll: .....maybe just have to try it :D and see how long it will stand :wink:

Me not being a fan of PAS I wonder how quickly the PAS stops helping once you stop pedaling. Also if it has a brake cut off option.

The weight claim: 1.55KG MID DRIVE KIT UNIT (HIGH SPEED MOTOR, BOTTOM BRACKET, ESC CONTROLLER, PAS SENSOR, bluetooth connectivity)

Not sure if it is a good fit for us power hungry Americans.

I think it would be fun as hell for a light offroad bike. Replace or shunt mod the controller and fan cool the motor and you might be seeing 400 or 500w perhaps?

I'm anxious to see who will be the guinea pig for this motor.

neptronix said:
I think it would be fun as hell for a light offroad bike. Replace or shunt mod the controller and fan cool the motor and you might be seeing 400 or 500w perhaps?

I'm anxious to see who will be the guinea pig for this motor.
I've got one on the way.

spinningmagnets said:
I am curious about the diameter of the motor-shaft, and also the configuration of the interface it mates with. It "should" be fairly easy to upgrade the motor size to an 80mm. These RC motors can easily have their shafts removed, and you can buy spare shafts to modify without "ruining" the motor for other jobs. I have modified hobby King motor shafts, and I found it to be pretty easy...

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21365&start=60#p322332

Looks like a 50mm diameter motor. Going to even just a 63mm would be an improvement...

installing a bigger motor might not be a big deal, but i guess the gears in te bearbox might not handle much more than the rated ?00 watts, if so it would be nice

My mate ordered one a couple of weeks ago. It should arrive in the UK shortly.

It looks like an interesting alternative if you want a lightweight mid-drive. He has a fair bit of experience with lightweight hub motors, so it will be interesting to see what he thinks.

I'll update the group when it arrives.

The kit arrived today. Pics below. The weight as pictured (without battery etc) was 2050g.

Attachments

• GNG 1.jpg
    GNG 1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 4,607
  • GNG 2.jpg
    GNG 2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 4,607
  • GNG 3.jpg
    GNG 3.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4,607
Storapa said:
The kit arrived today. Pics below. The weight as pictured (without battery etc) was 2050g.

Thanks, so about 4.52lbs. I don't see a freewheel in the mix. What kind of resistance do you feel when turning the crank without power?

Hi SLH,

Not sure about the resistance, as it's at my mates workshop. I'll go and have a good look later this week. I'll also take more photos.

Any more questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them when I'm over there.

Storapa said:
Hi SLH,

Not sure about the resistance, as it's at my mates workshop. I'll go and have a good look later this week. I'll also take more photos.

Any more questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them when I'm over there.

sure, it would be great if you could open the gearbox and show some photos from inside, in that way we could guess alittle how many watts the gears might take maximum.
if you opened the gearboc also give us some pic about the motorshaft.
measuremenrs of the motor, diameter and lenght.
if possible measure the KV of the motor.
and some dereil photos of all the separate parts would be great too.

greets

gernot

Santa'sLittleHelper said:
Storapa said:

Thanks, so about 4.52lbs. I don't see a freewheel in the mix. What kind of resistance do you feel when turning the crank without power?

From the GNG website

The freewheeling clutch system is integrated in the gear box.

Morning All,

I went and had a look at the parts that my mate has just received. This mid drive is a thing of beauty.

I got a couple of photos of the motor. I'd forgotten to take my vernier, so didn't get any precise measurement. Anyway, motor dia in about 50mm. Motor shaft is 8mm. Lenth is as per the photo.

We didn't open up the motor as my mate wants to run it first. As and when he does open it, I will get some photos.

Motor Length.jpg

Motor Length 2.jpg

Storapa said:
I got a couple of photos of the motor. I'd forgotten to take my vernier, so didn't get any precise measurement. Anyway, motor dia in about 50mm. Motor shaft is 8mm. Lenth is as per the photo.
Storapa said:
Are you sure that the shaft is 8mm? That is enormous for 50mm inrunner. I'm still dying to find out how the tranny looks like and what is kV of that motor. I bet it is at least 2000 kV.

Back