Bafung BBS02, mixing it with non powered bikes

Waynemarlow

10 kW
OK built up quite a nice Scott RC mtb with a 52v BBS02 750 W and reprogrammed it to a well known spec. Its very very nice but some of the time I intend to meet up with non e bikes and this weekend did exactly that. What I discovered is that the Bafung just likes to go and as long as you pedal it will power up, keep changing gears and it will simply speed up. Now that's fun on your own or with other Ebikes, but with normal bikes, your buddies are left waaaaay back.

What I'm looking for is any advice on how to reprogram it to really soften up that low power stuff so that you don't end up pedaling and then coasting then pedaling coasting, you get the picture. Doing this also seemed to use a lot of battery power compared to normal as well.

Thanks

Program one of your assist levels to 1% current/speed and use a throttle programmed to current (vs speed) mode. I disabled the PAS on my BBS02 a long time ago, mostly because I'm a control freak. But it did substantially increase my range, because I can pedal up to 6 or 7mph without any motor power, and then engage the throttle when the crank is turning a decent speed.

I don't buy that you somehow get more exercise with PAS than without, I can pedal as much as I want to, and provide as much motor power as I want to. The two do not depend on each other, they have their own pros and cons, including fine control when using only pedal input. This can be very handy in tight situations, maneuvering around pedestrians or nasty trail obstacles and such, and PAS ruins the crap out of that.

You could try messing around with programming in lower PAS power/speed levels, but the PAS on the BBS02 is just not that clever. Each PAS level wants to go a certain speed, no more or less, regardless of how fast or hard you pedal. It's just not ideal for trying to cooperate with other traffic, a throttle lets you demand the amount of power you actually want.

Hey Wayne, I have just changed my controller settings and now am pretty happy with how the system is working. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74706&p=1273943#p1273943 the photos on my last post show the controller settings. I find with my pas set to level one with these settings I can cruise along very comfortably in a very low gear and ride with non electric riders with out breaking a sweat or leaving them in the dust. If the group you are riding with is felling peppy go up to pas level 2. My settings may be a bit confusing as with my display it only has 5 levels so controller settings mean you skip level 2,4,6 and 8 to get your 5 levels, hope this make sense. Good luck.

I am finding the same, if I ride on 0 assist, with the throttle control only, I have a better riding experience, I can do more work (because the motor is not running when I don't want it to) and I use less overall battery.

I think a torque based bottom bracket would alleviate this issue (behaviour), because when I am not pedalling hard, neither is the motor (and vice-versa). but BBS02 just doesn't have this...

Andy

Animalector said:
I am finding the same, if I ride on 0 assist, with the throttle control only, I have a better riding experience, I can do more work (because the motor is not running when I don't want it to) and I use less overall battery.

I think a torque based bottom bracket would alleviate this issue (behaviour), because when I am not pedalling hard, neither is the motor (and vice-versa). but BBS02 just doesn't have this...

Andy

Andy I find the opposite of your experience with my HD for single track use
-For single track the low setting of my PAS 1 setting lets me easily regulate a low wattage where as the throttle is difficult to regulate the to keep wattage low when trying to conserve battery consumption . With my pas 1 settings I am only pulling say 100-200 watts while giving a nice easy pedal cadence assist. Very difficult to do with the throttle at least with the settings I have on my set up. When I get to hill climbs I stand in the saddle and give a little extra pedal input and the speed stays about the same and helps so the motor does not heat up. Its a nice easy way to ride the trails in pas 1 or pas 2 depending on speed you want and then hit the throttle just when you want it. Pas 1 takes so little AH I can really extend my range with this setting but it just depends on the mood I am in I guess depending on weather I want to feel like I am riding a dirt bike or a bicycle. Throttle brings on the dirt bike feel and the pas settings let me feel like I am riding a bike but I am super man.

Twist throttle on its way and I'll try the very low power up on that. Having ridden the Bosch system, you can only marvel how good it is in imparting "that still riding a mtb bike" is, if only they would add a throttle capability then we would have the best of both worlds ( I know you power hungry guys would be laughing at 350W but I ride quite steep single track and you simply can't use the extra power )

350W on a mid drive is huge. At least going from 0W to 350W is, 350 to 700 not so much. I have over 1000W on tap but generally I'm only using less than 400 of it. Usually under 250 to be honest. But control is everything to me, power just being off or on doesn't feel natural to me.

Is this a serious question? Really, now...you have three basic options:

1) Pedal under human power
2) Bomb the sections as you see fit and wait for your friends / circle back
3) Use assist sparingly and just cruise with the pack that way (boring if nobody's talking)

dustNbone said:
Program one of your assist levels to 1% current/speed and use a throttle programmed to current (vs speed) mode. I disabled the PAS on my BBS02 a long time ago, mostly because I'm a control freak. But it did substantially increase my range, because I can pedal up to 6 or 7mph without any motor power, and then engage the throttle when the crank is turning a decent speed.

I don't buy that you somehow get more exercise with PAS than without, I can pedal as much as I want to, and provide as much motor power as I want to. The two do not depend on each other, they have their own pros and cons, including fine control when using only pedal input. This can be very handy in tight situations, maneuvering around pedestrians or nasty trail obstacles and such, and PAS ruins the crap out of that.

You could try messing around with programming in lower PAS power/speed levels, but the PAS on the BBS02 is just not that clever. Each PAS level wants to go a certain speed, no more or less, regardless of how fast or hard you pedal. It's just not ideal for trying to cooperate with other traffic, a throttle lets you demand the amount of power you actually want.

Glad someone else thinks P.A.S actually lead to a worse performance in both areas. Hub motor here but no pas if I want to pedal harder simply easing up on the throttle allows such. Also it lead to less of a mess of wires since now you don't need the motor cut off wires simply let go of the throttle then break.

Waynemarlow said:
What I discovered is that the Bafung just likes to go and as long as you pedal it will power up, keep changing gears and it will simply speed up. Now that's fun on your own or with other Ebikes, but with normal bikes, your buddies are left waaaaay back.

What I'm looking for is any advice on how to reprogram it to really soften up that low power stuff so that you don't end up pedaling and then coasting then pedaling coasting

I am also interested in riding with non powered bikers but with a little assist when riding with really strong riders. Isn't there any way to program the bbs02 PAS so that it doesn't go just too fast at lower assist levels?

Some kind of brake cutoffs or a bar mount off switch is still important... You really realize that the first time your bike jumps to full​ power in traffic from a shorted throttle without a way to shut it down besides ripping out wires. (Guess how I know? :D )

Love2bike said:
Waynemarlow said:
What I discovered is that the Bafung just likes to go and as long as you pedal it will power up, keep changing gears and it will simply speed up. Now that's fun on your own or with other Ebikes, but with normal bikes, your buddies are left waaaaay back.

What I'm looking for is any advice on how to reprogram it to really soften up that low power stuff so that you don't end up pedaling and then coasting then pedaling coasting

I am also interested in riding with non powered bikers but with a little assist when riding with really strong riders. Isn't there any way to program the bbs02 PAS so that it doesn't go just too fast at lower assist levels?

I think throttle only is the way to go here. But program it to current rather than speed so you get a nice progressive ramp up.

Back