Qulbix Raptor 76R Cyclone Build

tikivic

1 W
Hi All,

New to the forum but thanks for all the great information!!!.....This will be my first build and it will be a Qulbix Raptor 76 with a mid-drive. Haven't decided yet on the powerplant but I'm leaning towards the Cyclone drive from Luna. I'm located quite close to Luna Cycles so I will likely take the frame there to size the drive and battery pack. I have a CNC machine so I plan to fabricate all the mounting plates, etc. that will be required. Unfortunately I'm having shoulder surgery in a few days so there probably won't be any updates for a few months at least....but that gives me plenty of time for ideas and net-surfing for parts! My thanks in advance for welcoming me to the community!.....Vic

Attachments

• Raptor-Frame.jpg
    Raptor-Frame.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 7,250
  • Shopbot.jpg
    Shopbot.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7,250
Well the Q76 is starting to get built. I did end up going with the Cyclone from Luna. You can see it here in the motor cradle that will help position it while I fabricate the mounting system. The rear wheel is just a temp mock-up. A this point I'm going with a 19" Moto rim and planning on a Rohloff hub (still need to obtain that). I will say that my initial observation is that the Cyclone for an 83mm bottom bracket is an extremely tight fit to clear the pedals. This will require some VERY precise bracket design to properly mount. If possible, I'm hoping to design it so that the motor is somewhat adjustable to preclude the use of a chain tensioner. We'll see.

Attachments

• DSC_0419.jpg
    DSC_0419.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 6,909
Very cool! Mike Backus from LightningRods is building up a Q76 big block mid-drive for me. You might drop him a line on his new rear hub he is developing (though the Rohloff is the most "elegant" solution and I'd love to see one on a Raptor!

I hope the shoulder is healing nicely. I just had my own worked on this past year so I feel you!

Nice build design. Its great to see how a mid-drive can be successfully implemented on a slim ebike frame. Definitley a good use of the Q76

Thanks Mammalian!....I was closely considering Mike's small block setup but decided on the Cyclone due to the planetary gearbox, it just looked like it would take up a lot less room up front there. It is quite wide though. My CNC machine should be getting some good use on this project!

Cool idea to go mid drive with the raptor. Look forward to see the end result.

I read somewhere vector or qulbix has factory middrive options coming (cant remember which one it was grr).

Id really like a revolt short or something here.
20160404_203147_zpst5sy9wcm.jpg

I know Vector is working on a mid drive, with zero chain growth. Swing arm and reduction inspired by motoped prototype I assume.
That will be a lighter and more narrow frame according to Artur. When it is ready for shipping I have no idea.

Here's a couple pics of the bracket prototyping going on right now....

Attachments

• DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 6,691
  • DSC_0423.jpg
    DSC_0423.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 6,691
Couple more photos of the motor mount prototype. Rotates to eliminate the need for a chain tensioner.

Attachments

• Bracket One.jpg
    Bracket One.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 2,794
  • Bracket Two.jpg
    Bracket Two.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 6,545
Here's an update on bracket progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 6,317
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 6,317
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 6,317
Cut from 6061 aluminum plate with a cnc machine (see: http://shopbottools.com/). The thickness is .19 or right around 3/16". The stock Cyclone brackets have two different thicknesses, with the thicker being .19, so I used that thickness for all of them. This is still a fairly rough mock-up and I'll be machining another set (or more....)!

That looks like some good progress.

How does that Shopbot do on aluminum? Does it take some serious kung fu to get decent, accurate cuts?

How did you acquire your Q76 frame? Did you buy direct form Qualbix?

Actually it cuts aluminum quite well. It is a long learning process to get the feed/speed settings right, along with the proper cutting tools. I added a mist cooling system to the machine since you can't flood cool on one of these. Also there is a air blower to remove chips as the kerf gets deeper. Also you have to be patient, I typically cut aluminum at .5 inches/sec. That compares to wood products at around 4-8 inches/second.

I did purchase the Raptor direct from Qulbix. They're really great to deal with. Once it ships, it only takes around 5 days to get it. I ordered a second swingarm (165mm) from them and transit time was only 3 days!

I improved the left side "outer ring". The clearance is so tight to the crank arm on that side. I slightly recessed the mounting holes and used rivnuts to further improve clearance. My mount system will make contact with the motor at 11 different points (as opposed to 4 on the standard mount).

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

[youtube]SDwM20qgOcs[/youtube]

Awesome work so far, Gonna be watching this one intently.

Im considering doing something similar, any chance the Cyclone 3000w will fit inside the battery box? or does it have to be below?

Daim11 said:
What battery setup/configuration are you thinking about doing? If you have put thought into that yet.

I want to build my own, but since I'm totally new to this I may just take it over to Luna and see what they have that fits to get me going. Alternatively, I'm looking at these Multistar High Capacity batts that Recumbence is using.

Phife said:
Awesome work so far, Gonna be watching this one intently.

Im considering doing something similar, any chance the Cyclone 3000w will fit inside the battery box? or does it have to be below?

It would fit in there, albeit with a considerable portion sticking out the left side....might interfere with pedaling. I'll see if I can get you a photo of that. It's a pretty big motor with the planetary transmission on the end. I'm almost 100% certain it wouldn't fit under the swingarm like the build Mike Bacchus is working on with his Big Block.

This is an interesting concept. Would really reduce the room available for the battery, but could work depending on what the objective is.

Attachments

• raptor_0380.JPG
    raptor_0380.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 5,998
  • raptor_0381.JPG
    raptor_0381.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 2,796
tikivic said:
This is an interesting concept. Would really reduce the room available for the battery, but could work depending on what the objective is.

Yes! This looks great!, I love having my cyclone mounted in the middle of the triangle on my Stumpjumper, feels so good and no problems with going over logs and such. Im currently using a backpack battery with 10lbs and 20AH @52v, but I feel this pack is a bit too heavy to carry on my back, and I never use more than half the pack on my rides. So im probably going to get a smaller battery or start carrying the pack on the bike again.

What kind of room do you think is left in there? got any rough dimensions?

Looks like i'll be getting a Q76R pretty soon. :)

Back