Friction Drive motor compatability

ag273n

100 µW
the motor i end up acquiring is an Emax BL5345 (Blue Series). Its an outrunner motor - 195kV (90A on 10S-12S battery). I already have the ESC for it, a battery, and a servo tester - already tested the connections, it works, i'm able to control its RPM.
how do i know if this motor is ok to be used as a friction drive? i hear there has to be some kind of bearing built in so it can sustain the abuse. i'd like to just put maybe some griptape on its outer shell so the mount isin't as complicated as chain drives. - more discreet and clean looking.

You want a large skirt bearing near the front face of the motor that supports the outer can of the motor. Otherwise all the force from the friction drive will be cantilevered off the little bearings inside the stator that hold the shaft.

thepronghorn said:
You want a large skirt bearing near the front face of the motor that supports the outer can of the motor. Otherwise all the force from the friction drive will be cantilevered off the little bearings inside the stator that hold the shaft.

Is this something i can readily see from the outside? or do i need to take it apart to see it inside?
in this drawing, all the black parts rotates, and the blue stays
BLDC.png

i found these pictures on another post within this forum

i assume these are the skirt bearings that you mean correct? (the ones above the windings on image 2)
View attachment 1
BLDC Skirt 2.png

i think my motor doesn't have these bearings... i'll probably have to change plans into a chain drive :roll:

i suddenly remembered people in youtube using some form of roller for their friction drive.. hmmmm... i could use a longboard wheel i have - i think this can work

anything else i should know?

Back