Bikesdirect Fatbike with BBS02?

Wolfeman

1 kW
Am looking at a new bike to fill 2 purposes. Ostensibly, it'd be for my 14 year old daughter who needs a new bike. She hates exercise, but likes bikes. The other purpose would be for me to use as a trail bike to casually explore places I haven't been. The Bikesdirect Gravity Fatbike looks like a great candidate. Simple, robust and comfortable.

The drive I'm looking at is a BBS02 with the Mighty Mini 30T Chain Ring and a Turnigy Graphene pack at 48V. This would keep the bike relatively light and unobtrusive as an ebike, and nimble for trail exploring. The fat tires would keep things comfortable and a Suntour NCX septets would round it all out.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/input, especially if you've already done something similar. Would love to see pics of what you built.

There may be some useful info in these topics whose first post includes
Gravity and BBS:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Gravity++BBS*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Won't work. The BBS02 only comes in a 73mm width. You'll have to buy the BBSHD in either 100mm or 120mm width.

bikesdirect.com sells some great donor bikes for converting to electric. I have done several, all with fantastic results.

I would recommend getting the bike first, and taking measurements before purchasing any electric kits.

sather said:
Won't work. The BBS02 only comes in a 73mm width. You'll have to buy the BBSHD in either 100mm or 120mm width.
There are 100MM kits for the BBS01 but adding a kit gets one to the price of a BBSHD.
Teslanv should be heeded. They do sometimes change designs. Not all will have great chain lines.
Best to take the bike name and model and the motor and do a google search for other builds to sort what the potential issues are.
I have a bikesdirect fat bike and it's a bunch of mods to get it right. It can be done but buyer beware of the level of project you might be getting into.

There are several lists around for bikes that are well suited to the BBSHD. Which can fit from 68MM Bottom bracket to 120MM.

Google is your friend! Your best friend!

Wolfeman said:
The Bikesdirect Gravity Fatbike looks like a great candidate. Simple, robust and comfortable.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/input, especially if you've already done something similar. Would love to see pics of what you built.

http://bfy.tw/BQSv click and use this. Also click on "images".

If you don't care about a few scuffs and dings. BikeIsland is their scratch and dent website. Might save a couple of bucks (maybe $50 or so). It's not much since their prices are already insanely low.

Another thing to consider is whether you and your daughter will be comfortable sharing the same geometry and size. Fit is the most important thing on a bike and if it's off for either one of you it will suck.

This is the single most documented ebike build on the Internet. Go to electric-fatbike.com and follow Karl's recipe. There are literally dozens of pages on the ins and outs of putting a BBSxx motor on a BD Gravity fatbike. I built a pair of them without any drama on the SS version of that frame and then added Nexus3 IGHs to them. Lots of info there on the derailleur versions of the bike too.

image.jpeg

Not the same bike but a women's bike I got used and put a bbs02 on just lately.

I was inspired to try by seeing a few similar on here

One of the best features of this type of build is its light and both wheels are quick release.

Also really fun.

c7c8422a916889f94c3d29e016c27739.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info and the pictures. It's always great to see and hear what others have done and what they think of it. I appreciate your replies.

Back