BBSxx Shift Sensor

automan25

100 mW
I installed a shift sensor on my BBSHD build. It has worked fine for about a month, but recently has begun to only work intermittently. Has anyone else had this issue? Did you resolve it?

Contact seller for a warranty or do what I did and gave up. Mine are all in a tool box and I never installed my new controller with the GS. Back pedal slightly, tap a brake, or install a green button kill switch. All work more consistently than the GS.
However it SHOULD be under warranty!
They do have a web site and do respond to customers as well.
http://gearsensor.com/support

I installed a Gearsensor on my BBSHD/Rohloff build. It works but unfortunately it can be triggered by just touching the shifter...no movement, just a touch! Tech support hasn't been able to diagnose. anyone else had this problem?

likes2bike said:
I installed a Gearsensor on my BBSHD/Rohloff build. It works but unfortunately it can be triggered by just touching the shifter...no movement, just a touch! Tech support hasn't been able to diagnose. anyone else had this problem?

Since the shift sensor is sensing the movement in the cable - there is a movement in the cable when you just slightly touch the shift lever.

For the shift sensor that shows malfunction - try cleaning it.

Junk, learn to tap the brake or back pedal.

I just apply enough movement on the brake lever to kill the motor, then shift with a little peddling. Then let go of break and go! Works well.

I have a gear sensor, using it seems to oftentimes result in hard gear changes even on flat ground when there's not much stress on the drivetrain. I get much smoother gear changes tapping the front brake. I can't recommend the gear sensor as worth buying.

Raisedeyebrows said:
I have a gear sensor, using it seems to oftentimes result in hard gear changes even on flat ground when there's not much stress on the drivetrain. I get much smoother gear changes tapping the front brake. I can't recommend the gear sensor as worth buying.

The green button works great. Not for single track or aggressive grades but for general use, a nice clean shift everytime.

I distributed the first samoles 3 years ago. Ive vacillated, but always come back to the same conclusion. Gimmick and money maker from unsuspecting n00bs. A PIA to install, a poor location if you have the added controller wire. An extra expense for a y cable if you don't. I have the button on one of 4 mid drives and its the most consistent and cleanest shift. Ever better than the brake tap. I still have a BBSHD controller on the bench with the GS lead and a half dozen GS wires. 4 were returnes beta that no one liked. The others i just can't waste the time...

Edit...Oops forgot the picture...

I'll have to give one of those green buttons a shot, for the price of admission what do I have to lose other than a bit of handlebar space?

No amount of fiddling or help from the manufacturer could make the gear sensor work properly. I'm with tomjasz, forget it. Pedaling interrupt before shift soon became automatic.

I'm just about to order a BBSHD and was going to get a shift sensor, now I'm not sure. Where do you get the green kill switch button from online, I'm in Australia.
Also are you all talking about the current gear sensor from Luna or an older version?
Thanks

Nickram said:
I'm just about to order a BBSHD and was going to get a shift sensor, now I'm not sure. Where do you get the green kill switch button from online, I'm in Australia.
Also are you all talking about the current gear sensor from Luna or an older version?
Thanks

Lekkie has 'em:
https://www.lekkie.com.au/product/shift-button/

Cheers,
Andrew

You can build your own shift sensor.
Just need a brake sensor secured above the shifter lever.
I extracted the brake sensor from the bin quality bundled brake levers.

WCSmNYq.jpg

It is a brake sensor that fires when the upshift lever is pulled. This stops the motor for a second but the drivetrain inertia completes the gear change. By the time the motor picks up speed again it is all done.The higher rpm the better it works. See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLCcapaUMg

Back