"900w Off-Roads Electric Motor..." (from ebay)

Ok, maybe I should do some searching around.

thanks,
-methods

Edit: ok, so it looks like people are just running the 500W 24V motor at 36V and calling it the "900W" kit?
I wonder if I can find one without the controller.

hmmm... Learning more

Looks like 500W or less comes with built in controller
I read of a 650W and 900W version (external controller) where the 650W uses 36V and the 900W uses 48V

Seems like a lot of conflicting information around.
At the cyclone site I dont see anything but 350W and 500W
On ebay I see 200W, 650W, 900W

Ebay claims 900W is 36V
Ad is very messed up.
Says external controller but does not show picture or list as a part.
These lazy ebay guys . . . Only sells like 4 things and cant take the time to make the add legible. :roll:
Posts the same inaccurate crap over and over each week.
Amazing

Ok, plans are a'brew'n

Maybe I pick up one of these so called 900W units
Run it on 44.4V lipo
Anybody try overvolting these things?
I did a hard search but did not come up with much info. A lot of references but not a hard core build thread. Probably just did not search deep enough.

-methods

Answer my own questions for a while here.

Some good links:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8621&p=131253&hilit=+cyclone#p131253

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6596&p=99750&hilit=+cyclone+overvolt#p99750

Checkout here: http://www.cyclone-usa.com/ and here: http://www.cyclone-tw.com/index.html. I have the 1000W setup, which is a totally different motor, and which drives a separate chainring. Here's the build thread I did: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5297

Although rated for only 1000W, the controller has a 55A limit, and I get 2600W peaks on a 16s5p a123 pack. Now it looks like the are selling three versions, 1000W, 1500W, and 3000W. The only difference seems to be different controller current limits (29A, 52A and 75A...).

-- Gary

Oh hell yea...

Thanks for the links!!!!

From the link:
" Da Vinci Downhill Mountain E-bike: Deore 2 x 9 speed, 3000W brushless motor, 3000W Kelly controller,10 Ah 48V LiFePo4 battery and 3A 48V Charger. Top speed 90km/h,Range 20~30 Km, weight 31.5kg"

Thats what I am talking about!

-methods

Gary! I had somehow missed seeing your awesome bike!

What a fantastic bike! Great job Gary!

Your entire setup is the weight of many folks SLA batteries alone!

You have great efficiency and killer performance with your gearing. What a fantastic build! I wished I had seen that sooner!

Methods- I think you will want all the parts from this kit, except the motor and controller. I know you, I bet you are going to want something in the 6kw range. Maybe a pair of the 3kw motors? It would be pretty easy to just make the chain snake between two motors.

Of course you are right Luke, but you know me. . .
I always have buy what I absolutely know I will outgrow.
I think it is a fear and impatience thing.

So here is what I have found.
The place that sells the big stuff is poorly organized
They do advertise the 48V 3KW system
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/dc24.htm
(SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM)

But they have not updated their sale page to show the 3KW kit
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order.htm

And I think Garry hit the nail on the head.
They really only have 2 motors, the black one and the silver heatsinked one.
I see the same bike advertised in two places, once as 900W and once as 3KW
This tells me that they are simply selling overvolt / overamp parts for the simple 900W kit. (on the larger motor)

Have a look at this disclaimer: $400 from the paypal page
"1500W " Kit" speed up to 70 km/h with ( only for expert) controller will burn if overload more than 30 secs."

Lol, I dont know luke.... Think I qualify as an EXPERT :roll:

So I am looking at this motor thinking about power handling.
Have a look at the 48V motor:

1000w.jpg

and here is the 36V for reference

650w.jpg

In RC when we want to go big power with the Mega motors we do the obvious, extreme heat sink
Looks like both of those motors could stand to have a giant 360 degree heatsink all around them.

So Luke: I think I am going to jump in and pick up one of these kits. I will see if they will agree to drop the controller but I bet they wont even answer my email. I will ride it till its hot then star heatsinking it.

I agree that 2 motors are in order but I don't quite buy your "two motors one controller" argument yet. I know you have done it and I agree that it could be implemented but I think that the timing would have to be very tight between the two motors to avoid dumping current between the phases. If I were to run 2 motors I would run each of them off of an inexpensive small controller like the ecrazyman and split the power handling up... Another good argument for using two controllers is that they are totally independent. If one controller and/or its motor die the second will keep right on going at 1/2 power. Even if the phase wires of motor A short out it can be bypassed and I can get home on motor B.

Have a look at this:

Downhill-650.jpg

I could totally hit some jumps!
I see the light now luke. . . Just like you used to argue when I drove the battle tank honda. . . All that unsprung weight in the wheel is bad news for performance.
This thing is going to be loud and ugly as hell but it will be worth it.

I wonder how stealth I will be able to run when I want to be quiet. . . Say like on a bike trail at <20mph
Garry?

And on a closing thought (I HADUM MY COFFEE THIS MORNING AAAAAAAAHHHHHH)
Dude, this is what I had wet dreams about last night. . .

DB-kmx.jpg

-methods

Actually, what we all are trying to do with the RC-based crank setups is a more powerful, more efficient and lighter version of the Cyclone 1000W setup. Although my Cyclone setup has almost too much low-end torque, and a top speed faster than I'd want to go, it is not without some problems. First of all, it has a ridiculously small 6T motor sprocket that the chain has a hard time getting around. The result is all kinds racket is generated, especially under load. Not very stealthy. :) The second problem is that Cyclone puts a cheap freewheel in the crankset that after awhile adds to the noise pollution problem and wears out pretty quick. Finally, because I changed out the 36T rear drive chainring that comes on the Cyclone crankset, with a 24T "granny" gear, the pedals end up being pretty useless, even in 3rd gear on the Nexus-3 hub. I was trying to match the gearing of what Matt (1000W here...) did on his chopper/cruiser bike, because of the performance he was getting. At the time, nobody else really had a Cyclone 1000W setup, so I decided to try and match what he did to get a performance baseline. Actually, I had a hard time believing that you could get this much power, which seemed by his video and his descriptions to be similar to what I was seeing with a 72V/65A x5 setup, with less than half the number of watts. I now know it is absolutely possible. :) I now have more lower end torque, and a higher top speed than the 72V 5303 setup that was on this bike previously, and I could do it with a lower voltage (48V...) which simplifies the setup. What I should have done was leave the 36T chainring alone. It would still have more than enough torque in 1st to get my generous butt up any hill, but would also return some functionality to the pedals.

There is another thread we have here on freewheel cranks. Basically, there are two options (well three, counting the Cyclone crankset...). One is that you use a high-end trials-type front freewheel cranksset, which is basically nothing more than a high quality White Industries ENO freewheel with special crank arms that screw into the FW threads. What they typically do is have a fixed 12T cog on the rear hub, and an 18T FW at the crank. Anyway, what we are doing is using a 22T ENO FW, with the trials crankarms, and then make an adapter that bolts to the 22T FW and then has a standard 110mm BCD mountain bike chain ring pattern, so that we can have lots of chainring choices to achieve the right gearing. The second option for getting a freewheel into the crankset, is to use a IPS crankset from some tandem bike setups. This is used sometimes, to allow the second rider on a tandem to not have to pedal. Tandem purists will cringe at the thought ( :roll: ), but it is good for setups tor kids and/or wives who just want to go along for the ride. Anyway, again the IPS crankset is nothing more than crankarms that screw into a regular freewheel, which is attached to a standard 110mm BCD spider. the nice thing aout this setup is that you don't have to make the adapter, but the downside is that like the Cyclone crankset, they use cheap 16T freewheels. The solution for both, however, is to replace the cheap FW with an $80 ENO version.

The Cyclone 1000W motor, at about 10-11 pounds, is about as heavy as mid-size hubmotor (Clyte 40x, etc...). Matt's eDrive with the AF 3210 is way less than half that weight, so although I saved a ton of weight switching to the Cyclone setup from the uber-heavy 5303 hubmotor, there's plenty more room for improvement. This is what made me come full-circle, and take a fresh look at what could be done with the larger RC-based motors, which are a lot more efficient and a lot less weight. Around the same time, Matt had already done his recumbent setup, using the insanely expensive Predator, and that gave me even more confirmation that we were on the right path, and RC-based systems could be made to work quite well in an ebike application.

The reason for Matt's drive is that most large RC motors have a kV (rpm/volt...) that is a lot higher than something like the Cyclone 1000W motor (kV of about 70...), so we need a reduction. The smaller Cyclone motors (350-650W...) are also higher rpm motors so they add a planetary gear reduction. Anyway, most big RC motors are designed to spin a big prop directly and so the kV ends up being around 130-150. In order to match the Cyclone 1000W motor rpm, assuming the same 48V source, all you would need is a 2:1 reduction, but I wanted to not have to use such a small motor sprocket, so on mine, the reduction is about 4:1.

Anyway, my plan is to replace the Cyclone 1000W setup on this bike, with the 3210-based setup. I began fabricating the mounts I need to do this yesterday. What I'm going to do first today, however, is put back on the "stock" 36T Cyclone chainring, in place of the 24T, and then hook up my Eagletree eLogger so I can get a performance baseline of the Cyclone setup. Then I'll take out the Cyclone motor and controller, and install the 3210/eDrive assembly, and do the same tests.

-- Gary

Ok. Good deal.

I need to get in the game.
I am going to pop one of these 3kw bad boys on my bike and ride it hard till it blows up
Then I will have an excuse to upgrade ;)

I am counting on you to cut the path for me and have a nice trail ready when I get there :wink:

I thought that i had already commented on your NEU w/planetary idea but I guess not.
Maybe on another thread.

I agree with you completely that using a high end inrunner with a 4:1 planetary is a great idea.
Steve does claim his motors will run up to 60K so if you design for 30k rpm and screw up you can always kick it up or down 30% and still be efficient.
I have run an 1110 2Y in a 4:1 Multiplex planetary box for direct drive of a 14x7 prop and it was GREAT power
That was my first electric skateboard

NEU 1110 2Y
4:1 planetary
14x7 prop
TP 2200mah 4S V2 pack
Phoenix 60A controller

All duct taped to a stick.
Stick in my right hand
Spektrum in my left hand

Pushed myself up and down the street a few times.
Dont remember how many lbs of thrust.

-methods

Actually, I've back-burnered the 2215/P62 setup, as it has too high a kV (480...) so it still would need one of Matt's drives. Instead, what I am using is the AstroFlight 3210/8120 series (same basic motor but supposedly the 3210 has tighter tolerances and better bearings, which is why it is $100 more. Bob sells a lot of these for military applications. Anyway, like Steve's 1900 "ORK" (OutRunner Killer...) series, these motors have 8 poles and large stator diameters, so they have lots of low-end torque like an outrunner, but without the spinning can, which is not optimal in an ebike application.

Here is what will replace my Cyclone 1000W motor:

eDrive-07.jpg

eDrive-08.jpg

I also have a second one of Matt's drive that I'm going to install on another folding bike, this one a 16" Dahon D3 Curve. It will use a Hacker A60-18L outrunner (kV: 149...). Not as much raw power as the 3210, but this bike is intended to be as portable and as light as possible, and it will mainly be used on flat terrain so it doesn't need as much power. Even still, this motor is capable of 2600W continuous, which is the max I've seen with my Cyclone setup, so it ought to do fine.

-- Gary

Who did you actually order from?

I am not sure who to contact.
I found the North America contact but his page only has the low power legal stuff.

I want to order one of these 3KW setups right now
They advertise it in several places but dont have anything but the 1500W for sale via paypal.

I dont want to have to lug my Kelly with me so I will just get the entire kit and plug it in.
These use the hall sensors right?

-methods

P.S. That drive setup is sexy.
How will you mount it?

I really like the belt idea. That will really quiet things down.

errrr......

WTF?!?!?

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/profile.htm

lol....

-methods

Maybe I can just order the 1500W kit and solder the shunt up for more current

Garry, can you open up the controller and tell me what you see?

I would really like to know what the controller differences are between the 1kw, 1.5kw, and 3kw.

48V @ 20A = 1.0 kw
48V @ 30A = 1.5 kw
48V @ 60A = 3.0 kw

Caps would all be the same
Maybe a firmware flash?

I would have to guess that the 60A would need better fets than the 20A
You say you see spikes to 55A eh?

They charge $30 more for the 3KW than they do for the 1kw
That sounds like the difference in FET prices to me.

What do you think?

-methods

It used to be much worse. Every page had blaring music. :roll:

On the "Order Online" page they do have the 1000W and 1500W combos available, but you are right, I don't see the 3000W setup either. You can always send them an email. They do respond. In a few hours it will be Monday morning over there.

Yes, they use Hall sensors.

-- Gary

Dang Methods got the itch bad! :lol:

I think everybody is trying to steer you away from this "Chinese" version of Matt's drive. If you are already familiar with RC gear, and comfortable with Lipo, HV110, and all the other bits, why not spend a few extra dollars and get Matt's drive in the first place? :?:

What's the cost of the Cyclone, $700 shipped? Damn, you can buy Matt's drive with an Astro motor AND and ENO freewheel for the same price :!: That's a no-brainer in my book. :wink:

Hi,

liveforphysics said:
Methods- I think you will want all the parts from this kit, except the motor and controller. I know you, I bet you are going to want something in the 6kw range. Maybe a pair of the 3kw motors? It would be pretty easy to just make the chain snake between two motors.

My opinion is exactly the opposite.

The mounts are poor to useless, the FW in the crank is biodegradable and the small sprockets are noisy.

If you like the motor buy it (I'm pretty sure they sell them separately). Then build your own mounts, follow Gary's instructions for the crank and figure out a quieter drive system.

But if you are going to do that why not get an Astroflight or Xera and Matt's drive for roughly the same price?

DB-kmx.jpg

How about something like this (I'd use David's motor)?:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6629
Etek Project: Bike to Trike
100_4166.jpg

etard said:
Dang Methods got the itch bad! :lol:

I think everybody is trying to steer you away from this "Chinese" version of Matt's drive. If you are already familiar with RC gear, and comfortable with Lipo, HV110, and all the other bits, why not spend a few extra dollars and get Matt's drive in the first place? :?:

What's the cost of the Cyclone, $700 shipped? Damn, you can buy Matt's drive with an Astro motor AND and ENO freewheel for the same price :!: That's a no-brainer in my book. :wink:

You have got to remember that I am used to having a 100V 100A bike to ride and now even my little chopper is blown up.

$300 shipped for the 1KW - 3KW kit without the controller.
Send money, it shows up, I bolt it on, I ride

Mats kit looks sweet but I will spend a hell of a lot more than $300 to get rolling. (how do I buy one anyway? I am only 10 pages into his thread)
That is the type of system that I would want to ponder for a while. Work out efficiencies and gear ratios and perfect mounting positions.
currently other people are doing that work for me :wink:
Garry is busy bushwhacking for me.

I really just want to get rolling with this cheapy kit to see if I even like this type of system.
Up till now I have been dead set against this type of system due to the noise factor.

I am going to buy this, bolt it up, beat it up, and then blow it up.
If I like it I will take it to the next level
If I dont then it only cost me $300 bones.

-methods

but you wont like it... it sucks, that's what most people who have tried it say. Loud, amp hungry and slow. Just order a drive from matt(pm recumpence), he has some in stock still I believe. Get a big axi motor and bolt/weld it on, use your lipos(48v not 100v :p ), and enjoy, that's my plan eventually, except I'm going to wait for david's motor.

Well $300 is way cheaper than anything I have. That ebay seller is going for over $600 shipped. you don't have to wait for Fechters board either, just use a servo tester as your throttle. If you don't want Matt's drive you can also go with the earthnet64 setup using a 248 tooth hoop connected to the spokes with any motor with less than 400 KV will work. I just think our Methy deserves better than the Cyclone. It's like seeing Jay Leno driving a Dodge Neon. WTF!?

This is the one for $300 shipped
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/dc48.htm
minus the controller.

Trust me, I know the difference between small time and the real deal.
Everything I build ends up being bad ass over the top. (or smoking wreckage)
Trouble is that I like to go big, some times really big, and I am on the bottom of the learning curve here.
I dont know the first thing about what you guys have been doing over in this non-hub section.
Lukes is the first thread I have read and this week is the first I have heard about all these gear systems.

I like to get my feet wet sometimes so that I can understand a technology before jumping in.
This $300 will get me the experience I need to judge what I want in the next kit.

What Gary has going looks good but it is going to cost him being an early adopter.
I can start out slow now with this Cyclone kit, let Garry work out all the kinks, then step in, take what he has learned, and improve on it.
No sense in me starting a parallel effort trying to reinvent the wheel.

Let me at least read the RC thread so that I know what has and has not been done.
When I figure that out then I will do what has not been done so that I can assert myself as the local bad-ass.

You needn't worry, because I have a goal in mind.
Luke has a little project going on over there and no way in hell will his bike be more dangerous than mine.
He has a little secret "Grand Finally" planned and I have mind to steal his thunder :twisted:

-methods

etard said:
earthnet64 setup using a 248 tooth hoop connected to the spokes with any motor with less than 400 KV will work.

What is this thing you speak of?

-methods

P.S. See, I am a total nOOb with this non-hub stuff.

Its like the gas powered kits, they bolt a large hoop to the spokes and run it with a belt directly from the motor, not very elegant IMO.

Back