Does the HV Phoenix ESC use the motor as a speaker?

swbluto

10 TW
I know, it sounds weird, but it sounds like the characteristic start-up sound that the ESC makes comes from the motor. I disconnected the motor and started the ESC up, and it made the same sound, except a LOT softer, directly from the ESC.

So, where's the sound coming from and what does the motor have to do with it? A simple conclusion is that the motor is being used as a speaker but then the next question is... how??? As far as I know, the motor doesn't have anything equivalent to the uhhh...vibrating membrane of a speaker. Well.... wait... Maybe it's vibrating the motor's "Bell" or "Skirt" or "can" or whatever it's called.

Pretty awesome, eh!?

I hope nobody figures out how to make it play ringtones, or something.

I love this controller. :mrgreen:

GGoodrum said:
All RC controllers use the motor to make tones by quickly moving the motor back and forth. :)

-- Gary

My cheapie ESC makes tones on my alternator quite well (although it does get quite hot), does this mean if I removed the rotor it would no longer do this?

PaulM said:
My cheapie ESC makes tones on my alternator quite well (although it does get quite hot), does this mean if I removed the rotor it would no longer do this?

Probably, but the stator wires themselves could make some noise.

I thought I could take an audio signal and feed it into the PWM chip on an analog Crystalyte controller and make it play through the motor.

I spoke with Bernie at Castle last year at length about the tones. He said has has been trying for years to get Castle to let him program sounds into the run portion of the controller software. He said it would not be hard to make the motor "Sing" various sounds while running (though I would assume the efficiency would go down quite a bit). He said "The controller could be programmed to sound like a screaming superbike engine or an open exhaust V8)." :mrgreen:

Matt

Hi,

An inverted sample of the ambient sound (motor, drive etc.) for noise canceling would be great! Worlds quietest ebike?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_headphones
Like all such technology, it mixes an inverted sample of the ambient sound outside the headset with the sound that reaches the inside of the headset, partially cancelling out the noise. Active (battery-powered) noise cancellation is never perfect, and is better at low frequencies than at high frequencies.[

:lol: .. that's awsome !!!!!

Controllers make a big difference, i was like.... :shock: :shock: :shock: ... when i rode Justin's X5 powered monster using his own Beta test controller.. the usual pulse feeling the X5's make with a crystalyte controller.. went away !!! .. like smooooooth..

I'm hoping for a nice Hummmm. from my Astro motor and HV110.. can't wait !

I remember i saw vid on youtube with people programing song from midi files and played it to their controller for fun... and i also saw one with the duke of hazard tone sequences!! nice!

One great thing about ebike controller for folk like us would be a synthesized voice that could indicate us the error code on our controller..! :lol: .. Just imagine that voice coming from the last operational motor phase with fets not blown of your controller saying: The first 8 mosfets of phase 1 and 2 are dead my friend... please repair me please!!

Doc

The cheap hobbycity ESCs already have 16 pre-programmed tunes to select from, which they play on power-up for a few seconds before enabling the throttle.

Back