'Reverse pull' chain tensioner for mid-drive?

samsavvas

100 W
Hi Folks,

Trying to improve my hub-motor-based mid-drive and am experimenting with a bit of chain management. Can anyone point me to a 2-pulley hair tensioner that works in reverse? That is, it pulls from the front at the top pulley and from the rear at the lower one. If you are trying to visualise this, it means that the rotating tensioner arm on which the 2 pulleys are located will be trying to turn anti-clockwise. I need it to assist a rear derailleur to maintain return-chain tension on a long bike and to help place the return chain below bike frame cross-members (it's on a Big Dummy).

I am thinking something made of plate like the Problem Solvers design, but rotating 'backwards'. I know I could use a regular chain tensioner like the Alfine of even just an old derailleur mounted backwards, but I'd really like the bolt-on bits and the arm to be on the distal or outside of the bike if possible.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a thread or previous post on buying or even making one?

Thanks,

Sam.

Ok - just for the record, further research suggests that the Gusset Bachelor (fixed position) and the Gusset Squire (provided with bi-directional springs) will fit the bill!

Sam.

Nice timing. I just made a simple 2-way tensioner (ie tensions lower half of chain under normal chain pull, and tensions the top half during regen). I will be installing and testing in the next day or two, and will share the results and more info.

Back