Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike from China

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Aebrennan
100 W
100 W

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike from China

Post by Aebrennan » Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am

VIN is an acronym for vehicle identification number
If the manufacturer assigned a VIN to their product then it is authentic as the number is relevant.
Whether it is compatible with registration regulations in your country is irrelevant to the term authentic.
The bikes in question are off road bikes not road bikes.
I am sure that the manufacturer is aware of what they need to do in the future if they intend to sell a road registrable model.
In case they don’t I will get them to contact nofanbois as he seems to be all over everything.

Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jan 11, 2018 6:57 am

Surron are working on a street/ sports bike motorcycle so I'm sure they've have proper VINs , either by request now on these existing bikes or in the very near future. Not that it's of any concern to anyone who doesn't own one of these bikes and has the intention to register it.
Rix wrote:
Jan 10, 2018 3:17 pm
Looks great Jay. BTW, are still of the impression to leave this machine stock power wise? I just find it very un Hyena like to leave things stock :lol:
heh yeah I usually can't leave things alone, and after jumping back on my alpha it DOES have a heap more punch, but I dont really miss it on the surron. It's actually nice the be able to mash the throttle and hoon around without having to be ever vigilant that it wont jump up and bite you when you least expect it. That said, never say never :) I'm still riding the bike like I stole it and if the controller happens to give out, I'd be keen to upgrade it. Though as above it IS supposedly under warranty if anything goes wrong.

I got some interesting discharge data today. I did the first full discharge cycle and it seems the gauge is fairly conservative, or as NoFanBoiz would have it, inaccurate.
I got it down to sub 10% capacity on a 50+ km ride then did laps around the block until it was complete flat. Even when it showed 0% the bike kept going happily in eco mode, and it was only once I gunned it at full throttle once past % that it cut out. But I was able to do another few km in eco mode after this point. In the end I bought it home but it was still going with 60km on the clock, nearly 10km past the indicated 0%
The voltage at this time was 53v = 3.3v/cell average so this is a pretty conservative discharge for 18650s. Generally the BMS on those doesn't cut out until ~2.8v/cell but obviously that's assuming all cells discharge perfectly evenly, which we know they dont.

Vid uploading shortly for those who are interested.

Token visual pleasantries :)
jump11.jpg
jump11.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 415 times
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

NoFanBoiz
1 W
1 W

Post by NoFanBoiz » Jan 11, 2018 7:11 am

Aebrennan wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am
no kidding.
Aebrennan wrote:
If the manufacturer assigned a VIN to their product then it is authentic as the number is relevant.
Whether it is compatible with registration regulations in your country is irrelevant to the term authentic.
there's a difference between a serial number, which is what the sur-ron has and a VIN, whose purpose IS for registration and which people on this very thread have been asking about so don't discount valid arguments simply because you've been caught out as inept.
Aebrennan wrote:
again, no kidding.
Aebrennan wrote:
I am sure that the manufacturer is aware of what they need to do in the future if they intend to sell a road registrable model.
you're sure are you? how?
Aebrennan wrote:
In case they don’t I will get them to contact nofanbois as he seems to be all over everything.
I try to offer help and get a smartar$e response.
Last edited by NoFanBoiz on Jan 11, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

The manufacturer has to go through some kind of registration process to have a legal VIN. It's paperwork and money.
From the VIN of any vehicle, you can tell the make, model, and year. It's in some database somewhere.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

dirkdiggler
10 kW
10 kW

Post by dirkdiggler » Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

I've registered multiple vehicles without a 17 character VIN. Most older model cars don't have that length of VIN. Never been an issue for me. I doubt it would be in this situation also, but I don't care either way. I'm not using it for that reason and I am not interested in putting lights all over to get a dirt bike street legal.

Thanks Hyena for the info about the bars. Your bike looks sweet with those and the new headlight.

tomjasz
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Post by tomjasz » Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

dirkdiggler wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm
I've registered multiple vehicles without a 17 character VIN. Most older model cars don't have that length of VIN. Never been an issue for me.
50 US States and nearly as many different rules and methods. Some easy others a nightmare. Been there in 6 states.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

Aebrennan
100 W
100 W

Post by Aebrennan » Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm

NoFanBoiz wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 7:11 am
Aebrennan wrote:
no kidding.
Aebrennan wrote:
there's a difference between a serial number, which is what the sur-ron has and a VIN, whose purpose IS for registration and which people on this very thread have been asking about so don't discount valid arguments simply because you've been caught out as inept.
Aebrennan wrote:
again, no kidding.
Aebrennan wrote:
you're sure are you? how?
Im sure because I have been in contact with the manufacturer for over 5 months.
I have first hand knowledge not speculation.
I am the authorised dealer and import these bikes into Australia and New Zealand.
I am aware of the manufacturer intentions for future production and development.
I am not some hack hater disrupting a thread due to having too much spare time and some weird grudge as you clearly are.
Anything can be registered anywhere if you wish to go to the effort to make it comply.
Do everyone here a favour and unsubscribe you obviously don’t have a real interest in this topic.

NoFanBoiz
1 W
1 W

Post by NoFanBoiz » Jan 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Aebrennan wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Im sure because I have been in contact with the manufacturer for over 5 months.
I have first hand knowledge not speculation.
5 months of contact yet you have proven on your posts you know nothing about VINs despite your claims of 'first hand knowledge'.
Aebrennan wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm

I am the authorised dealer and import these bikes into Australia and New Zealand.
I am aware of the manufacturer intentions for future production and development.
I am not some hack hater disrupting a thread due to having too much spare time and some weird grudge as you clearly are.
Anything can be registered anywhere if you wish to go to the effort to make it comply.
Do everyone here a favour and unsubscribe you obviously don’t have a real interest in this topic.
Good luck to anyone that buys one of these bikes, diagnoses any issues with their purchase and has a differing point of view to Adam, the "authorised dealer and import[er] [of] these bikes into Australia and New Zealand".

Aebrennan
100 W
100 W

Post by Aebrennan » Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

In my 5 months of contact with the manufacturer we have not discussed VIN as the bikes have been imported for off-road use only.
I never claimed to be a VIN expert I only informed other members of the number of digits marked on the bike from the factory.
Thanks for your well wishes

Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jan 11, 2018 4:22 pm

I still haven't decided if nofanboiz is an existing member of the group hiding behind a second login that he uses when he wants to be a jerk, or if he's just a textbook keyboard warrior. I'm starting to think more the latter...

Anyway here's my full capacity discharge test / review vid

NoFanBoiz
1 W
1 W

Post by NoFanBoiz » Jan 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Hyena wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 4:22 pm
I still haven't decided if nofanboiz is an existing member of the group hiding behind a second login that he uses when he wants to be a jerk, or if he's just a textbook keyboard warrior. I'm starting to think more the latter...
Indecisive? I've decided you're a jerk.

Hyena
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jan 11, 2018 5:31 pm

NoFanBoiz wrote:
Jan 11, 2018 4:57 pm
Indecisive?
Only about your motives
I've decided you're a jerk.
Oh no, I'm crushed. Were you actually just flirting before ?
Move along troll, go spit indiscriminately in the toxic discussion forum if you must.

Rix
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Rix » Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Possibly Chalo's Sensie? :lol:
NoFanBoiz wrote: ↑Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm
Indecisive?
Only about your motives
I've decided you're a jerk.
Oh no, I'm crushed. Were you actually just flirting before ?
Move along troll, go spit indiscriminately in the toxic discussion forum if you must.
There are people that the glass is half full, there are people that the glass is happy empty. And then there are people that the glass is 7/8 empty. Back on topic, as far as the VIN issue and DMV. Spoke to my contact at the DMV. She advised that there are provisions for assigning a DMV VIN for street legal vehicles as well as OHV only vehicles. In summary the OHV vehicle don't require a head light, tail light, brake light, horn, two mirrors, or a speedometer. But to ride the Sur-Ron as moped in my state, they do require these accessories. For what its worth. Like I posted earlier, Moto Moto wants to come to Nevada and check out some of the Desert terrain I ride in and has offered to bring an extra Sur-Ron with him. Of course I said yes and am looking forward to our schedules aligning and making this happen. So probably here in the next couple of months, I will be able to contribute to the Sur-Ron discussion with some real world experience and not just by videos and pics of other guys.

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Jan 12, 2018 8:11 am

This thread will be temporarily locked to give the moderator board time to review it. This may take a while, so please be patient.