Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
fasjohnny   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: May 03 2018 6:12am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fasjohnny » Jul 05 2018 8:23am

Here is a 100% copy of the standard engine guard but made in steel! The weight is 700grams.

Its currently being powder coated in black so it will look exactly the same as the original one. :D

If anyone is interested to get one just send me a PM.


User avatar
knoxie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2430
Joined: Jan 03 2007 5:54pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by knoxie » Jul 06 2018 7:52am

That looks better than Lunas effort! (which to be fair was likely a prototype) nice work.
Electric KMX 72V Lipo, USPD drive unit. BMX 72V, Puma BMC,
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
http://tinyurl.com/4vrmc8 http://tinyurl.com/3umm4n

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6425
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jul 06 2018 2:13pm

fasjohnny wrote:
Jul 05 2018 8:23am
Here is a 100% copy of the standard engine guard but made in steel! The weight is 700grams.

Its currently being powder coated in black so it will look exactly the same as the original one. :D

If anyone is interested to get one just send me a PM.

Looks tough!

racingame   10 W

10 W
Posts: 95
Joined: Jan 26 2018 9:40am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by racingame » Jul 06 2018 4:16pm

No black rough coating? You got the unrefined product straight from factory?

fasjohnny   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: May 03 2018 6:12am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fasjohnny » Jul 07 2018 6:21am

racingame wrote:
Jul 06 2018 4:16pm
No black rough coating? You got the unrefined product straight from factory?
"Its currently being powder coated in black so it will look exactly the same as the original one."

kitaoka   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 07 2018 1:36pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by kitaoka » Jul 07 2018 1:41pm

I have posted my personal experience and changes with my Sur Ron along with a review of the Fisher FabHouse Ultra 3200 lumen LED headlight.
http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-news/ ... una-cycle/
http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-news/ ... v-version/

RemoteRoad   1 W

1 W
Posts: 57
Joined: Dec 24 2017 8:00am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by RemoteRoad » Jul 07 2018 9:41pm

Have around 175miles on my Firefly. Have enjoyed it, the bit that I've used it.

So, do we know if we're going to get the X-version with its sine wave controller in the US through Luna with certainty? Time frame?

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1123
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Jul 07 2018 9:57pm

RemoteRoad wrote:
Jul 07 2018 9:41pm
Have around 175miles on my Firefly. Have enjoyed it, the bit that I've used it.

So, do we know if we're going to get the X-version with its sine wave controller in the US through Luna with certainty? Time frame?
from what I've seen so far, Sur-ron model X is only available from dealers in China (for now?) ..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6425
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jul 07 2018 10:57pm

kitaoka wrote:
Jul 07 2018 1:41pm
I have posted my personal experience and changes with my Sur Ron along with a review of the Fisher FabHouse Ultra 3200 lumen LED headlight.
http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-news/ ... una-cycle/
http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-news/ ... v-version/
Just read your post, very nice review and outline of the mods you made to your Sur-Ron. Don't be afraid to post those details here. Its what this thread is for.

kitaoka   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 07 2018 1:36pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by kitaoka » Jul 07 2018 11:31pm

Thanks I was not sure if that would be appropriate.

Aebrennan   100 W

100 W
Posts: 247
Joined: Jan 06 2017 4:08am
Location: Sydney New South Wales
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Aebrennan » Jul 08 2018 1:06am

efMX Trials Electric Freeride wrote:
Jul 07 2018 9:57pm
RemoteRoad wrote:
Jul 07 2018 9:41pm
Have around 175miles on my Firefly. Have enjoyed it, the bit that I've used it.

So, do we know if we're going to get the X-version with its sine wave controller in the US through Luna with certainty? Time frame?
from what I've seen so far, Sur-ron model X is only available from dealers in China (for now?) ..
Aebikes.com.au has managed to order sine wave controllers as spare parts, and is currently waiting on confirmation for ordering sine wave controller fitted bikes.

Marksteamnz   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 23 2017 3:06am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Marksteamnz » Jul 08 2018 1:22am

kitaoka wrote:
Jul 07 2018 1:41pm
I have posted my personal experience and changes with my Sur Ron along with a review of the Fisher FabHouse Ultra 3200 lumen LED headlight.
http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-news/ ... una-cycle/
http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-news/ ... v-version/
Thanks for sharing this. I bought a Thule bike rack as well (mines a 925) but did struggle a bit to get the Light Bee on. Your comment on removing the battery when the Bee is being put up and on the rack was a f**k me moment, so obvious!! So why didn't I think of it. Doh! Anyway thanks for the tip. Keen to get out and riding trails.

RemoteRoad   1 W

1 W
Posts: 57
Joined: Dec 24 2017 8:00am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by RemoteRoad » Jul 08 2018 11:19am

Aebrennan wrote:
Jul 08 2018 1:06am
Aebikes.com.au has managed to order sine wave controllers as spare parts, and is currently waiting on confirmation for ordering sine wave controller fitted bikes.
Very nice! Thanks a lot! How solid are the reports on lower drivetrain noise (how much lower?) and increased power from the new controller? Any of the other changes confirmed?

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6425
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jul 08 2018 7:18pm

RemoteRoad wrote:
Jul 08 2018 11:19am
Aebrennan wrote:
Jul 08 2018 1:06am
Aebikes.com.au has managed to order sine wave controllers as spare parts, and is currently waiting on confirmation for ordering sine wave controller fitted bikes.
Very nice! Thanks a lot! How solid are the reports on lower drivetrain noise (how much lower?) and increased power from the new controller? Any of the other changes confirmed?
a few pages back, Allex confirmed the new controller increased out put power quite a bit.

stonezone   100 W

100 W
Posts: 213
Joined: Mar 12 2014 4:25pm
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by stonezone » Jul 09 2018 4:24pm

Does anyone know the HVC of the stock controller? it's happy with 16s, but will it take 18s, 20s? I dont want to start upping the voltage until I see the magic smoke...

Also,l wonder the same about the new SW controller.. I have way too many 5 and 6s lipos laying around.
LR-BB on 2014 Glory
Sur-Ron
B B S-HD on some sort of DH Kona frame
2017 GG GP 300 <3

A female ruby macaw named Bob-arella. She's kind of a dick

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 125
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by n2mb » Jul 09 2018 4:32pm

stonezone wrote:
Jul 09 2018 4:24pm
Does anyone know the HVC of the stock controller? it's happy with 16s, but will it take 18s, 20s? I dont want to start upping the voltage until I see the magic smoke...

Also,l wonder the same about the new SW controller.. I have way too many 5 and 6s lipos laying around.
I was wondering how Luna is pushing a claimed 700 amps in their Sur Ron test bike. It wouldn't be possible with Li-ion. I'm guessing they swapped out the battery for LiPos and a different controller.

stonezone   100 W

100 W
Posts: 213
Joined: Mar 12 2014 4:25pm
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by stonezone » Jul 09 2018 6:53pm

i know initially they modified the BMS (in this thread) and used the ASI controller. figure still same asi controller plus maybe a battery upgrade? Amazing that the motor can handle (well, almost could... wonder if they figured out if it was the phase or not)...

Im waiting on the new controller, and really have been enjoying having something stock for a change, otherwise i'd have swapped the controller a while back... the initial power fresh off the charger is nice, add few more V and i'm a happy camper. I also think I can feel a bit more torque running the multistars vs the stock pack but I cant honestly say for sure. seems like the wheel comes up easier, thats my duno.
LR-BB on 2014 Glory
Sur-Ron
B B S-HD on some sort of DH Kona frame
2017 GG GP 300 <3

A female ruby macaw named Bob-arella. She's kind of a dick

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 12926
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fechter » Jul 09 2018 9:18pm

n2mb wrote:
Jul 09 2018 4:32pm
I was wondering how Luna is pushing a claimed 700 amps in their Sur Ron test bike. It wouldn't be possible with Li-ion. I'm guessing they swapped out the battery for LiPos and a different controller.
They were not using the stock battery. I'm not sure what it was, but it was made for high discharge rate and was sagging quite a bit.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
madin88   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2763
Joined: May 27 2013 2:02am
Location: Austria

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by madin88 » Jul 10 2018 4:45am

fechter wrote:
Jul 09 2018 9:18pm
n2mb wrote:
Jul 09 2018 4:32pm
I was wondering how Luna is pushing a claimed 700 amps in their Sur Ron test bike. It wouldn't be possible with Li-ion. I'm guessing they swapped out the battery for LiPos and a different controller.
They were not using the stock battery. I'm not sure what it was, but it was made for high discharge rate and was sagging quite a bit.
At first they used same pack design but with 30Q cells (which was sagging too much), and later they were using LiPos from what i know.
- 10kW belt drive with Neumotor 8057: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=91144&start=50#p1377787
- Fully road legal (L1E approval) e-bike based on Votec V-FR frame
/ MXUS 3T / 17" Mitas MC11 / Adaptto Max-E / 20s12p 25R
- KTM Hardtail Pedelec / eZee V2 6T / 27,5" / Kelly KBSX @ 1,5kW / Torque PAS / CA-V3 / 13s4p Sanyo GA in Shark case

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3071
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Allex » Jul 10 2018 11:32am

Allex wrote:
May 19 2018 1:30pm
Allex wrote:
May 15 2018 2:41pm


Just to show you guys what this hill is about, I made a clip with other hub motorised bikes for comparison, maybe its easier to see how tough it is for a hub motor in this particular terrain. I was actually a bit surprised that they did not handle it...
It also shows how much effective the sur-ron is with its setup, kinda blown away how good it is :mrgreen:


New video with the updated controller, same hill. You can see how much faster she climbs at 2:00. Will prolly do a third one with a max-e and mxus3k, same hill. But that is not until the end of the summer.

Tommm   100 W

100 W
Posts: 207
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Tommm » Jul 10 2018 12:36pm

Allex wrote:
Jul 10 2018 11:32am
New video with the updated controller, same hill. You can see how much faster she climbs at 2:00. Will prolly do a third one with a max-e and mxus3k, same hill. But that is not until the end of the summer.

Post this on the endless sphere facebook group, I wanna see the hub guys go insane over it. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3071
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Allex » Jul 10 2018 12:49pm

They will just claim that their bikes can do this - no prob!
Thing is, this is not just any hill, it is one with very loose surface and you have to start right at the foot of the incline, not attacking it from high speed. Cuz, any bike can do a 30 degree hill if it is hard packed dirt and you attack it with some speed.

User avatar
BCTECH   100 W

100 W
Posts: 265
Joined: Oct 24 2014 2:04pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by BCTECH » Jul 10 2018 1:10pm

the good side of hub drive is the top high speed and quietness
pure off road mid drive wins :D

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3071
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Allex » Jul 10 2018 1:14pm

Well, it already does 80km/h on 16s(16!!!) with new controller. But yeah, the noise is the only negative aspect of the machine.

n2mb   100 W

100 W
Posts: 125
Joined: May 25 2018 1:37pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by n2mb » Jul 10 2018 1:23pm

Allex wrote:
Jul 10 2018 1:14pm
Well, it already does 80km/h on 16s(16!!!) with new controller. But yeah, the noise is the only negative aspect of the machine.
That's interesting. 50 mph On the stock gear ratio?

Post Reply