Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Jammen   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 14 2018 10:00am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Jammen » Jan 11 2019 10:52am

First post! Lurking for awhile, figured I should give back. :wink:

Rockshox Coil Spring Boxxer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SR3MB2?re ... b_ap_share

That'll fit in the RST Killah. You'll need to take apart the weird like 6+" preload spacer they have in there and cut a piece of PVC down to 2" or 3". I think it was 1" diameter PVC but double check me.

Huge difference to have the extra firm spring for my 215# self!

Paulflieg   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 11 2019 10:30am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Paulflieg » Jan 11 2019 11:04am

ImageImage[/img]
Jammen wrote:
Jan 11 2019 10:52am
First post! Lurking for awhile, figured I should give back. :wink:

Rockshox Coil Spring Boxxer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SR3MB2?re ... b_ap_share

That'll fit in the RST Killah. You'll need to take apart the weird like 6+" preload spacer they have in there and cut a piece of PVC down to 2" or 3". I think it was 1" diameter PVC but double check me.

Huge difference to have the extra firm spring for my 215# self!
All the springs of the Rock Shox Boxxer fit. The same stroke. The length with a modified stop, to adapt to the top cap. The preload is easy to adjust.Image

JuiceMeUp   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 27
Joined: Mar 20 2017 2:40am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by JuiceMeUp » Jan 12 2019 6:49am

RST Fork guys:

I pulled apart the right hand fork leg containing the compression dampening mechanism.
I drained and refilled the internal piston with 10 weight oil that was on hand (not sure what stock is).
Made a huge difference to the responsiveness of the compression dampening dial.
It's not a replacement for a stiffer spring, but happy with the 'quick fix' if bottoming out is a problem...

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jan 12 2019 7:42pm

JuiceMeUp wrote:
Jan 12 2019 6:49am
RST Fork guys:

I pulled apart the right hand fork leg containing the compression dampening mechanism.
I drained and refilled the internal piston with 10 weight oil that was on hand (not sure what stock is).
Made a huge difference to the responsiveness of the compression dampening dial.
It's not a replacement for a stiffer spring, but happy with the 'quick fix' if bottoming out is a problem...
I like it!

Lelandjt   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 32
Joined: Dec 07 2018 7:39pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Lelandjt » Jan 13 2019 6:46am

JuiceMeUp wrote:
Jan 12 2019 6:49am
RST Fork guys:

I pulled apart the right hand fork leg containing the compression dampening mechanism.
I drained and refilled the internal piston with 10 weight oil that was on hand (not sure what stock is).
Made a huge difference to the responsiveness of the compression dampening dial.
It's not a replacement for a stiffer spring, but happy with the 'quick fix' if bottoming out is a problem...
How did you repressurize the damper cartridge. That weird version of a schrader valve kept me from opening it. RST told me it comes with 10wt oil so I was gonna fill it with 15 and up the pressure.

Flykrisco   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 01 2019 4:30pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Flykrisco » Jan 13 2019 7:09pm

Paulflieg wrote:
Jan 11 2019 11:04am
ImageImage[/img]
Jammen wrote:
Jan 11 2019 10:52am
First post! Lurking for awhile, figured I should give back. :wink:

Rockshox Coil Spring Boxxer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SR3MB2?re ... b_ap_share

That'll fit in the RST Killah. You'll need to take apart the weird like 6+" preload spacer they have in there and cut a piece of PVC down to 2" or 3". I think it was 1" diameter PVC but double check me.

Huge difference to have the extra firm spring for my 215# self!
All the springs of the Rock Shox Boxxer fit. The same stroke. The length with a modified stop, to adapt to the top cap. The preload is easy to adjust.Image
That is great news. Thank you so much for the information. I've got a spring on order.

I've got ahold of Alan at electric race technologies and we are working out the details for an asi lipo based power system. I'll post details when we get them worked out

User avatar
derb   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Oct 30 2015 6:15am
Location: Germany - on the Trail

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by derb » Jan 14 2019 9:32am

At 2500km I changed the chain. As soon as you lift a chain link over half the tooth height on the sprocket, you should renew the chain. The teeth on the sprockets are still looking good and will not be changed yet.
2ed0ede3-d939-4050-a338-e5d62dc0e6d4.jpg
938ddfc4-4e7f-41ce-a8a1-78af3c89132c.jpg
20181226_215528 - Kopie.jpg

Flykrisco   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 01 2019 4:30pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Flykrisco » Jan 14 2019 3:03pm

Allex wrote:
Nov 16 2018 3:36am
How many Amps did you see during peaks?
Here is a battery case extender with a new hatch. The pack is like 22s10p
Allex. Is this extension available. I'm going to build a new pack and this would be perfect.

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3202
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Allex » Jan 15 2019 5:12am

Flykrisco wrote:
Jan 14 2019 3:03pm
Allex wrote:
Nov 16 2018 3:36am
How many Amps did you see during peaks?
Here is a battery case extender with a new hatch. The pack is like 22s10p
Allex. Is this extension available. I'm going to build a new pack and this would be perfect.
They are still working on the hatch.

freeflow   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 15
Joined: Dec 24 2018 5:40pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by freeflow » Jan 15 2019 3:18pm

Who's building it? Sur Ron or after market?

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3202
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Allex » Jan 15 2019 3:33pm

After market, why would surron make that kind of stuff =)

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!
Attachments
IMG_57144.jpg

Ohbse   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 810
Joined: Dec 26 2013 5:15pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Ohbse » Jan 15 2019 10:11pm

Belt drive looks awesome! Hope the testing goes well. Honestly that was one of the biggest reason I haven't gone for a Surron for a daily ride, I really dislike chain noise. A 20s powered, Mobipus or ASI equipped supermoto surron with a silent belt drive should be a killer street setup. Keep us posted.

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14053
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fechter » Jan 15 2019 10:19pm

The belt looks great! :thumb:

Looking forward to more details and test results.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

uk gilo   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 06 2018 5:55pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by uk gilo » Jan 16 2019 7:13am

with regard to alta`s torque figures, i think you will find they are taken after a reduction and not at the rotor and so are totally meaningless.

User avatar
motomoto   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 426
Joined: Jun 28 2010 8:22pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by motomoto » Jan 16 2019 10:43pm

Looks great !!! I guess I can cross that project off my list of products to make.
belt drive.jpg

User avatar
Offroader   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2461
Joined: Sep 08 2013 9:03pm
Location: USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Offroader » Jan 17 2019 1:29pm

Will the belt handle the bike power, especially if people start using more power?

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14134
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by liveforphysics » Jan 17 2019 2:44pm

OMG! Drool!!! Beautiful belt conversion!
Allex wrote:
Jan 15 2019 3:33pm
After market, why would surron make that kind of stuff =)

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2326
Joined: Jun 15 2009 10:58pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by skeetab5780 » Jan 18 2019 12:10pm

That belt drive setup looks like the best Sur-ron mod I have seen to date! Well done

any reports or video yet?

User avatar
Offroader   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2461
Joined: Sep 08 2013 9:03pm
Location: USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Offroader » Jan 18 2019 6:58pm

I'm confused, the talk not too long ago was how a belt drive couldn't take the torque or the belt would not handle the power.

Now everyone is assuming it will work by slapping on a belt and sprocket? Its no big deal to make a sprocket and install a belt. Why is everyone assuming this will work?

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14134
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by liveforphysics » Jan 18 2019 7:29pm

Offroader wrote:
Jan 18 2019 6:58pm
I'm confused, the talk not too long ago was how a belt drive couldn't take the torque or the belt would not handle the power.

Now everyone is assuming it will work by slapping on a belt and sprocket? Its no big deal to make a sprocket and install a belt. Why is everyone assuming this will work?
I've got ~100,000 miles of using what appears to be the same size belt pitch on a bike with 70hp and 116ft-lbs of torque on a bike that's 440lbs.

Belts are not weak, not-inefficient, and belts aren't a power bottle-neck. A belt can easily outlast a dozen chains on a motorcycle that has 10x more power than a Sur Ron. Similarly, a belt used in an application lacking the rigidity to keep the sprocket center-to-center distance fixed can snap immediately the moment the teeth skip.

If your plan for the bike is repeated big air jumps, stick with a chain because they handle the shock loads of landing with the tire spun up fast. If your plan is to just ride off road trails or street, a belt would be my first choice.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

artisanstone   10 W

10 W
Posts: 70
Joined: Mar 19 2018 1:54pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by artisanstone » Jan 19 2019 3:19pm

I've only disconnected the battery twice. I noticed the main power plug is rather difficult to get off. Would dielectric grease be appropriate?

User avatar
Merlin   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1792
Joined: Jan 29 2013 10:00am
Location: europe

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Merlin » Jan 20 2019 8:15pm

didnt find it in the last 20 pages....

offroader, throw out the controller and put in your max-e =)




another maxe surron dude




max-e surron in snow =)


User avatar
madin88   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2944
Joined: May 27 2013 2:02am
Location: Austria

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by madin88 » Jan 21 2019 8:52am

Offroader wrote:
Jan 18 2019 6:58pm
I'm confused, the talk not too long ago was how a belt drive couldn't take the torque or the belt would not handle the power.

Now everyone is assuming it will work by slapping on a belt and sprocket? Its no big deal to make a sprocket and install a belt. Why is everyone assuming this will work?
Zero Motorcycles were using same type of belt as we are using for the SurRon conversion.

Zero drive: 14mm 8MGT, 25T front (even option for 22T from what i know)
SurRon drive: 12mm 8MGT, 25T front

I believe that Zero motor had close to 100Nm and above 30Hp (Luke probably knows it exactly), so it should work very well for a stock SurRon and probably also well enough for bikes that got highly tuned.

btw: farfle is using same type of belt on his electric ultralight 8)

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1298474

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14053
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fechter » Jan 21 2019 2:34pm

While the weather is rainy here, I've been busy working on a few things. I installed a hinge at the rear of the seat made from an old door hinge that I cut, bent and drilled. The front is held down by a really strong magnet that grabs a piece of steel bolted to the front seat bolts. The ends of the bolts stick out past the nuts enough to engage the holes in the frame so it doesn't slide around. Between the frame members, I wedged in a plastic box that came from an old power brick. This is just big enough to hold the tool kit and my registration papers. This raises the seat by about 2cm, which I can use since I have long legs.
Img_1021A.jpg
Img_1021A.jpg (140.69 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Also working on a secondary battery that rides on the rear. There is a piece of aluminum "GCX" channel bolted to the sub frame that holds the seat. There is a piece on the battery frame that slides into the channel for quick release. The pack will be split between the two Pelican cases and have a total of 16s, 12p of some old Panasonic DA cells I've had lying around for years. This should approximately double the capacity and also double the amount of current I can pull without tripping the BMS.
Img_1024A.jpg
Img_1024A.jpg (192.25 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Img_1025A.jpg
Img_1025A.jpg (166.27 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Img_1026A.jpg
Img_1026A.jpg (164.13 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Img_1023A.jpg
Img_1023A.jpg (171.27 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
The secondary pack will be in parallel with the main pack ahead of the "Air Switch" circuit breaker. Connection will be via 8ga wire and a pair of XT150 connectors. The secondary pack will have a single port BMS so I can charge both packs at the same time using the stock charger and charge port.
Img_1028A.jpg
Img_1028A.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
If this all works out, I should have about 50 miles of range and have the ability to run 2x more power. The pack is still under construction but I hope to get it up and running soon. The secondary pack won't be good for serious off road riding but is easily removed in case I want to catch some air. For the street and more sedate trail riding, I think it will work wonders.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1367
Joined: Aug 11 2010 4:42pm
Location: St. Peters, Missouri

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by litespeed » Jan 21 2019 4:03pm

So I guess I haven’t been keeping up with the thread.....yours is street legal?

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

Post Reply