Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Mistertrixer   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Jun 09 2020 5:44am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Mistertrixer » Jun 12 2020 5:22am

Ok so i hocked up the board to a USB to serial adapter. Is there anybody here who knows this kind of stuff? Is there some program or something I can try?
Attachments
20200612_121846.jpg
20200612_121846.jpg (299.21 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

thoroughbred   100 W

100 W
Posts: 138
Joined: Apr 11 2018 6:18pm
Location: virginia

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by thoroughbred » Jun 12 2020 8:20am

This is probably worthy of its own thread but the board might need to be powered up at some point. Putty terminal program is what works for old Zero motorcycle communications...

AZeBikeGuy   10 W

10 W
Posts: 79
Joined: Sep 06 2016 2:58pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by AZeBikeGuy » Jun 12 2020 10:59am

Realterm is another - they both have their pluses and minuses

User avatar
Offroader   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sep 08 2013 9:03pm
Location: USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Offroader » Jun 12 2020 12:32pm

H.I.M wrote:
Jun 11 2020 4:01pm
Image


Can you go into what size those tires are? Are they 24"?

Why did you go with bicycle tires and how does the suspension feel compared to the stock surron tires? Those tires/rim combo will weigh a lot less than the stock tires.

H.I.M   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 14
Joined: Mar 30 2013 4:25pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by H.I.M » Jun 12 2020 2:58pm

Offroader wrote:
Jun 12 2020 12:32pm
H.I.M wrote:
Jun 11 2020 4:01pm
Image


Can you go into what size those tires are? Are they 24"?

Why did you go with bicycle tires and how does the suspension feel compared to the stock surron tires? Those tires/rim combo will weigh a lot less than the stock tires.
Переднее колесо 24. Не взвешивал, но кг 3, может чуть меньше. Как купил, сразу поменял колесо, потому что это уже было. Работает хорошо.

User avatar
Offroader   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sep 08 2013 9:03pm
Location: USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Offroader » Jun 14 2020 10:28am

H.I.M wrote:
Jun 12 2020 2:58pm
Offroader wrote:
Jun 12 2020 12:32pm
H.I.M wrote:
Jun 11 2020 4:01pm
Image


Can you go into what size those tires are? Are they 24"?

Why did you go with bicycle tires and how does the suspension feel compared to the stock surron tires? Those tires/rim combo will weigh a lot less than the stock tires.
Переднее колесо 24. Не взвешивал, но кг 3, может чуть меньше. Как купил, сразу поменял колесо, потому что это уже было. Работает хорошо.
Could you measure the height of those 24" tires? I'm wondering how they compare in size the stock 19" CST tires.

Kauaiguy   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 33
Joined: Dec 30 2019 9:47pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Kauaiguy » Jun 14 2020 1:01pm

Looks like his fork brace would hit his fender if he bottomed out the front suspension.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jun 14 2020 6:55pm

Kauaiguy wrote:
Jun 14 2020 1:01pm
Looks like his fork brace would hit his fender if he bottomed out the front suspension.
Hard to tell, but could see the front fender having tire rub marks on the inside.

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14865
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fechter » Jun 14 2020 8:42pm

Mistertrixer wrote:
Jun 12 2020 5:22am
Ok so i hocked up the board to a USB to serial adapter. Is there anybody here who knows this kind of stuff? Is there some program or something I can try?
Every programmable controller I've seen uses proprietary software to do the programming. We really need the program that Sur-ron uses, but so far nobody has been able to get a copy. I can see why they wouldn't release it due to warranty issues.
There may be something made for that particular chip that comes from the chip maker, not Sur-ron. There is usually no way to "read" the entire flash so a copy of the current flash would be needed as a starting point. But even if we had that, there would probably be no way to tell what the various parts of the code are doing and where to apply a hack.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Mistertrixer   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Jun 09 2020 5:44am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Mistertrixer » Jun 15 2020 4:00am

I have ordered a nuvoton icp programmer. Will let you know how it goes.

H.I.M   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 14
Joined: Mar 30 2013 4:25pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by H.I.M » Jun 15 2020 1:02pm

Offroader wrote:
Jun 14 2020 10:28am
H.I.M wrote:
Jun 12 2020 2:58pm
Offroader wrote:
Jun 12 2020 12:32pm
H.I.M wrote:
Jun 11 2020 4:01pm
Image


Can you go into what size those tires are? Are they 24"?

Why did you go with bicycle tires and how does the suspension feel compared to the stock surron tires? Those tires/rim combo will weigh a lot less than the stock tires.
Переднее колесо 24. Не взвешивал, но кг 3, может чуть меньше. Как купил, сразу поменял колесо, потому что это уже было. Работает хорошо.
Could you measure the height of those 24" tires? I'm wondering how they compare in size the stock 19" CST tires.
Attachments
IMG-20191031-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20191031-WA0021.jpg (204.95 KiB) Viewed 811 times
IMG-20191031-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20191031-WA0023.jpg (158.62 KiB) Viewed 811 times

H.I.M   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 14
Joined: Mar 30 2013 4:25pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by H.I.M » Jun 15 2020 1:11pm

Kauaiguy wrote:
Jun 14 2020 1:01pm
Looks like his fork brace would hit his fender if he bottomed out the front suspension.
Передняя часть крыла поднята выше. При полностью сложенной вилке, крыло не задевает гориллу.

H.I.M   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 14
Joined: Mar 30 2013 4:25pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by H.I.M » Jun 15 2020 1:15pm

Rix wrote:
Jun 14 2020 6:55pm
Kauaiguy wrote:
Jun 14 2020 1:01pm
Looks like his fork brace would hit his fender if he bottomed out the front suspension.
Hard to tell, but could see the front fender having tire rub marks on the inside.
Переднее крыло не имеет отметин от шин. Только грязь. Крыло не касается шины.
Attachments
20200615_211826.jpg
20200615_211826.jpg (355.69 KiB) Viewed 803 times

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jun 16 2020 9:56am

H.I.M wrote:
Jun 15 2020 1:15pm
Rix wrote:
Jun 14 2020 6:55pm
Kauaiguy wrote:
Jun 14 2020 1:01pm
Looks like his fork brace would hit his fender if he bottomed out the front suspension.
Hard to tell, but could see the front fender having tire rub marks on the inside.
Переднее крыло не имеет отметин от шин. Только грязь. Крыло не касается шины.
:bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Kauaiguy   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 33
Joined: Dec 30 2019 9:47pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Kauaiguy » Jun 16 2020 1:55pm

New primary drive gearing:Stock is 13/30, my new gear is 34t.Rear wheel has a 55t.About 35 mph top speed but holds more speed on steep hills.
345361B0-E16A-49F3-BC38-5D48C610A099.jpeg
345361B0-E16A-49F3-BC38-5D48C610A099.jpeg (92.67 KiB) Viewed 740 times

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jun 16 2020 3:00pm

Kauaiguy wrote:
Jun 16 2020 1:55pm
New primary drive gearing:Stock is 13/30, my new gear is 34t.Rear wheel has a 55t.About 35 mph top speed but holds more speed on steep hills.345361B0-E16A-49F3-BC38-5D48C610A099.jpeg
Where did you get that at?

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1736
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Jun 16 2020 3:10pm

looks like the wicked wheel werks belt delete kit;) ..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

Kauaiguy   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 33
Joined: Dec 30 2019 9:47pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Kauaiguy » Jun 16 2020 4:07pm

That’s the one,you can get them from 30 to 34t in 7075 al.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jun 17 2020 9:46am

Kauaiguy wrote:
Jun 16 2020 1:55pm
New primary drive gearing:Stock is 13/30, my new gear is 34t.Rear wheel has a 55t.About 35 mph top speed but holds more speed on steep hills.345361B0-E16A-49F3-BC38-5D48C610A099.jpeg
Yah, your gearing is the same as running the stock unit with a 64T sprocket on the rear. I like it.

Irishrally   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 17 2020 8:15pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Irishrally » Jun 17 2020 8:20pm

What do you guys think about this announcement? Wonder how long it will take to see this change in the Luna stock.

"Sur-Ron Battery Improvements Battery From now on, all new Sur-Ron Bikes (X Series & Road Legal) will have new improved batteries, with a one-way valve for moisture removal. Droplet We look forward to seeing these brilliant new batteries in action soon."

https://mobile.twitter.com/surronbikes/ ... 1645879298

LeRdubois   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: May 04 2020 8:44am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by LeRdubois » Jun 18 2020 3:21am

Merlin wrote:
Apr 05 2020 9:22pm
stock surron rear with "a" 70/100/19 tire -> 14,1 lbs
18x1.85 Excel with tubliss kit + 18x 3.5 CST -> 15,4 lbs (disc missing in this pic...so add 0.44lbs ...-> 15,9 lbs
Total: 1,8lbs 0,8Kg more for:
Dude, where the hell did you found that cst ? did you buy them all ?? can't find shit in 18" !
Offroader wrote:
Apr 05 2020 8:47pm
Finding an 18" rim in 1.4" or 1.6". They are very difficult to find. I bought a couple and one 18x1.6 rim was too heavy.
can i ask where you got that 1kg3 1.6 rim ? the only supplier i can find is on alibaba, and i'm not sure for the weight though

User avatar
Offroader   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sep 08 2013 9:03pm
Location: USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Offroader » Jun 18 2020 10:56am

LeRdubois wrote:
Jun 18 2020 3:21am

can i ask where you got that 1kg3 1.6 rim ? the only supplier i can find is on alibaba, and i'm not sure for the weight though
Here is the Rim I bought, I searched aliexpress and contacted many companies but their rims were all too heavy. I was happy to find this light weight 1.6" rim.

The rim is a Rising Sun 36 hole 1.6 x 18. Hopefully you live in USA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DV ... UTF8&psc=1

Image

User avatar
Offroader   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sep 08 2013 9:03pm
Location: USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Offroader » Jun 18 2020 11:07am

Broke my foot peg bracket. A car decided to do a sharp turn into a store driveway and cut right in front of me. I did a sharp turn to my right and locked the rear brakes, turning with him to avoid smashing directly into his car.

I guess my footpeg must have dug into his car and broke the bracket. I actually fell into his car as my left shoulder hurt for a day after the accident.

I have a dash cam camera that is always recording but unfortanetly the stupid thing has not been recording the first few minutes after I turn it on, It didn't do that for my last ride either, so I missed getting the video footage. Kind of pissed because I always recommend to everyone to always have a dash cam camera on your bike, and you should have a front and rear camera hooked up at all times.

I don't know who was at fault but since it was only one lane and I was riding to the right of him for a few seconds which I rarely do but I had a reason to do at that moment, just bad luck. I believe that a driver of a car should be aware of any one near him, even in his blind spot before turning into a driveway. Even if I was not suppose to be to his right, you still have a duty to not turn directly in front of someone. This is the law, you can't just say, oh you were riding to his right in the same lane and its your fault because you were not supposed to be there. If you say you were not aware of a bike to your right when you turned, you would not be in control of your car, and you would be at least partially at fault. You can't just say he was not suppose to ride to my right or be there, so its his fault for being there.



Anyway, who ever fault it was I am hoping that footpeg did some damage to his new car to teach this guy a lesson to not just turn into a driveway at the last second without looking or slowing down and turning slowly. I am thinking the footpeg must have dug into his lower door and then ripped or pushed the bracket to break like that.. Surprised the footpeg bracket broke so easily but that is a good thing, better for the cheap bracket to break then your frame to break.

Not a big deal as I actually bought spares of these brackets as someone mentioned on this thread that they break very easily and thought having a spare set made sense so I wouldn't have to wait around if they broke. I would suggest you guys get spare brackets because these are the first things to break.

Image

Image

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Jun 18 2020 11:21am

Offroader wrote:
Jun 18 2020 11:07am
Broke my foot peg bracket. A car decided to do a sharp turn into a store driveway and cut right in front of me. I did a sharp turn to my right and locked the rear brakes, turning with him to avoid smashing directly into his car.

I guess my footpeg must have dug into his car and broke the bracket. I actually fell into his car as my left shoulder hurt for a day after the accident.

I have a dash cam camera that is always recording but unfortanetly the stupid thing has not been recording the first few minutes after I turn it on, It didn't do that for my last ride either, so I missed getting the video footage. Kind of pissed because I always recommend to everyone to always have a dash cam camera on your bike, and you should have a front and rear camera hooked up at all times.

I don't know who was at fault but since it was only one lane and I was riding to the right of him for a few seconds which I rarely do but I had a reason to do at that moment, just bad luck. I believe that a driver of a car should be aware of any one near him, even in his blind spot before turning into a driveway. Even if I was not suppose to be to his right, you still have a duty to not turn directly in front of someone. This is the law, you can't just say, oh you were riding to his right in the same lane and its your fault because you were not supposed to be there. If you say you were not aware of a bike to your right when you turned, you would not be in control of your car, and you would be at least partially at fault. You can't just say he was not suppose to ride to my right or be there, so its his fault for being there.



Anyway, who ever fault it was I am hoping that footpeg did some damage to his new car to teach this guy a lesson to not just turn into a driveway at the last second without looking or slowing down and turning slowly. I am thinking the footpeg must have dug into his lower door and then ripped or pushed the bracket to break like that.. Surprised the footpeg bracket broke so easily but that is a good thing, better for the cheap bracket to break then your frame to break.

Not a big deal as I actually bought spares of these brackets as someone mentioned on this thread that they break very easily and thought having a spare set made sense so I wouldn't have to wait around if they broke. I would suggest you guys get spare brackets because these are the first things to break.

Image

Image
I ride like I am invisible to everyone but the cops, it has been a good strategy so far. Glad you are not hurt. Could have been worse.

User avatar
Merlin   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2054
Joined: Jan 29 2013 10:00am
Location: europe

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Merlin » Jun 18 2020 11:30am

Rix wrote:
Jun 18 2020 11:21am

I ride like I am invisible to everyone but the cops, it has been a good strategy so far.
quite funny, i "teach" that also to everyone....safest way on 2 wheels.

Post Reply