Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
User avatar
johnrobholmes   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3940
Joined: Jul 07 2008 2:19pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by johnrobholmes » Apr 18 2018 5:10pm

gashero wrote:
Apr 18 2018 4:43pm
new to the forum, just got the light bee couple weeks ago and the weather has not been cooperative but took it out to day and noticed the limp mode ( no more than 25 mph in sport mode) when the state of charge is 40%. Does anyone have this issue.
Mine did this once when I was riding in freezing weather, soon after receiving the bike. I chalked it up to the battery probably getting too cold, as I wasn’t riding hard and it had some time to get cold. My last full discharge in warm weather hit soft cutoff at 18% soc.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 18 2018 9:47pm

artisanstone wrote:
Apr 18 2018 3:29pm
I would really like to have more rubber in the back. Anyone think a 110/80 trials tire will fit?
It will not fit, but I think a Shinko SR241 2.75-19 will fit. It a bit bigger than the stock tire.

User avatar
3DTOPO   100 W

100 W
Posts: 251
Joined: Apr 11 2018 2:21am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by 3DTOPO » Apr 18 2018 9:52pm

Rix wrote:
Apr 18 2018 7:20am
3DTOPO wrote:
Apr 17 2018 10:10pm
Image
You can always drive into Banks and eat there giving you a 3rd option. Beautiful picture. That probably took some effort to pedal the fat bike in that snow.
Problem with Banks Cafe is everyone sells the same style food up here: American.

Yeah, it was a bit brutal getting up there - especially on that fat bike - it was a 50 pound tank! Since then I got a much more reasonable ~30 pounder.

I cheated a bit using the original rechargeable power assist, my trusty Siberian Husky! (you can see his lead going out of frame on the picture).

:D

Image

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 18 2018 10:27pm

3DTOPO wrote:
Apr 18 2018 9:52pm
Rix wrote:
Apr 18 2018 7:20am
3DTOPO wrote:
Apr 17 2018 10:10pm
Image
You can always drive into Banks and eat there giving you a 3rd option. Beautiful picture. That probably took some effort to pedal the fat bike in that snow.
Problem with Banks Cafe is everyone sells the same style food up here: American.

Yeah, it was a bit brutal getting up there - especially on that fat bike - it was a 50 pound tank! Since then I got a much more reasonable ~30 pounder.

I cheated a bit using the original rechargeable power assist, my trusty Siberian Husky! (you can see his lead going out of frame on the picture).

:D

Image
AWESOME!!! Story keeps getting better and better. Nice animal BTW!

User avatar
3DTOPO   100 W

100 W
Posts: 251
Joined: Apr 11 2018 2:21am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by 3DTOPO » Apr 19 2018 12:07am

Rix wrote:
Apr 18 2018 9:47pm
artisanstone wrote:
Apr 18 2018 3:29pm
I would really like to have more rubber in the back. Anyone think a 110/80 trials tire will fit?
It will not fit, but I think a Shinko SR241 2.75-19 will fit. It a bit bigger than the stock tire.
I too would like as wide as possible tires.

Please forgive me (I am a total motorcycle tire noob), but 2.75" essentially equals 70mm. Would the SR241 2.75-19 actually be wider than the stock tire?

P.S. thanks for your compliments! :D

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 19 2018 7:43am

The shinkos SR241 is way way wider than their advertised size. Mine measures out at a little over 3 inches wide. They are considerably bigger (higher profile) and wider than the stock tires.

Edit///2 inches was incorrect, 3 inches is correct.
Last edited by Rix on Apr 19 2018 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13049
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by fechter » Apr 19 2018 8:42am

The Husky looks like he has a rechargeable battery on his collar. Is he cheating?
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1140
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Apr 19 2018 9:37am

Rix wrote:
Apr 19 2018 7:43am
The shinkos SR241 is way way wider than their advertised size. Mine measures out at a little over 2 inches wide. They are considerably bigger (higher profile) and wider than the stock tires.
I think Rix means the shinko 241 19 x 2.75 is just over 3 inches wide.. if you try to go any wider the rear tire will probably make contact with the chain.. Sur-ron should come out with a wider rear swingarm fat tire version of the light bee..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1140
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Apr 19 2018 9:52am

Enginepy wrote:
Apr 16 2018 1:12pm
Hey guys,

New to the forum and also e-bikes. Been reading this thread for a while and placed my pre-order through Luna. I'd been waiting for a while and then, with a healthy dose of vodka saturday night, I placed my order at 2am!

Pre-ordered a steel-gray with RST. They say on their website should ship out first half of May. Super excited.

Does anyone have thoughts on the must-do upgrades? (chain, tires, handlebars, lights, etc).
not sure about "must do" upgrades.. ride it first and see what you need.. depends on how and where you ride.. if your riding street much then get some street tires or the super moto wheel set and some mirrors.. if your riding off-road then consider the primary drive chain conversion, larger rear sprocket (and longer higher quality chain) for steep trails, and a more durable rear tire.. higher rise bars if your tall.. bark busters / hand gaurds would be nice too.. and how about a second battery for quick swap and endless riding..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

User avatar
Alex Imreh   100 W

100 W
Posts: 107
Joined: May 20 2015 8:27pm
Location: Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Alex Imreh » Apr 19 2018 10:31am

The battery is approximately 14.5" X 6" X 5.5", 369 x 153 x 140mm. Good, i was waiting for that info, thank you.
About competition gathering info, I am sure some competitors already bought a Sur-Ron, i know at least 2-3 doing that. Maybe it is time to do the other way round, reverse engeneering in Europe for something designed in China haha.
Now for all EVs, main issue is battery size, range. When there will be on the market a bike similar with SurRon, same engine but battery 2 times bigger = 100km range, and frame a bit bigger, than such a bike will really hit mainstream, that is the ebike that I am really waiting for. Now Sur-Ron is a good city bike as range, without EU homologation to be used in cities. With double battery/range it could be used better offroad, no need for homologation there.
This size 369 x 153 x 140mm is size for the biggest battery? Battery compartment size? There is no way to increase range/battery for SurRon with this frame?? With a battery 2 times bigger total weight could be still much under lightest gas enduro, even with bigger frame and bigger engine.

Gloert16   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Mar 21 2018 12:37pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Gloert16 » Apr 19 2018 10:44am

gashero wrote:
Apr 18 2018 4:43pm
new to the forum, just got the light bee couple weeks ago and the weather has not been cooperative but took it out to day and noticed the limp mode ( no more than 25 mph in sport mode) when the state of charge is 40%. Does anyone have this issue.
I saw this too when my battery read ~35%. I was still in my first discharge cycle since getting the bike, so waiting to see if it persists. From reading reviews I didn't think limp mode kicked in until <5% charge.

gashero   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 11 2018 1:33pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by gashero » Apr 19 2018 3:27pm

Great to hear that it just not me that got the limp mode. Its my first discharge and it was pretty cold out yesterday. Thanks for all the reply.

User avatar
motomoto   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 417
Joined: Jun 28 2010 8:22pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by motomoto » Apr 19 2018 5:06pm

58 tooth sprockets coming along. They need to be plated one more time with alodine to protect the exposed
raw 7075 from corrosion.
58t 1.jpg

User avatar
johnrobholmes   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3940
Joined: Jul 07 2008 2:19pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by johnrobholmes » Apr 19 2018 5:32pm

Updates on my battery, and I find and fix a loose spoke.


User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 19 2018 5:38pm

efMX Trials Electric Freeride wrote:
Apr 19 2018 9:37am
Rix wrote:
Apr 19 2018 7:43am
The shinkos SR241 is way way wider than their advertised size. Mine measures out at a little over 2 inches wide. They are considerably bigger (higher profile) and wider than the stock tires.
I think Rix means the shinko 241 19 x 2.75 is just over 3 inches wide.. if you try to go any wider the rear tire will probably make contact with the chain.. Sur-ron should come out with a wider rear swingarm fat tire version of the light bee..
Thanks for catching that Natas, I fat finger the keyboard, and yes the SR241 19-2.75 is just over 3" wide.

artisanstone   10 W

10 W
Posts: 65
Joined: Mar 19 2018 1:54pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by artisanstone » Apr 19 2018 7:34pm

motomoto wrote:
Apr 19 2018 5:06pm
58 tooth sprockets coming along. They need to be plated one more time with alodine to protect the exposed
raw 7075 from corrosion.58t 1.jpg
Price?

User avatar
3DTOPO   100 W

100 W
Posts: 251
Joined: Apr 11 2018 2:21am

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by 3DTOPO » Apr 19 2018 9:21pm

Got mine today! Oh man what fun. Totally exceeds my expectations! :D

Just got back from my first ride. Now I just need a faster dog! :P

Came with 50% charge and didn't have any issues (other than one missing sticker).

Image

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 19 2018 9:36pm

motomoto wrote:
Apr 19 2018 5:06pm
58 tooth sprockets coming along. They need to be plated one more time with alodine to protect the exposed
raw 7075 from corrosion.58t 1.jpg
Better than porn!!!

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 19 2018 9:52pm

johnrobholmes wrote:
Apr 19 2018 5:32pm
Updates on my battery, and I find and fix a loose spoke.

nice review, I have a couple of nipples that are warped as well from tensioning the spokes. My hope is the spokes take a set and I don't have to worry about it for a bit.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 19 2018 9:57pm

3DTOPO wrote:
Apr 19 2018 9:21pm
Got mine today! Oh man what fun. Totally exceeds my expectations! :D

Just got back from my first ride. Now I just need a faster dog! :P

Came with 50% charge and didn't have any issues (other than one missing sticker).

Image
Yah!! And you got a green one like mine!

User avatar
Hyena   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5624
Joined: Aug 13 2008 9:10am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Hyena » Apr 19 2018 10:18pm

How's the colour in person ? Is it powdercoat or anodizing ?
It looks fairly thin in the pics but I guess it's hard to tell. In the pedal kit tutorial video posted ages back the swing arm and main frame are a different colour which looked pretty average.

As for the battery charging thing, as I always say anything with the potential to release energy has teh potential to blow up, be it battery, nuclear, gas, steam etc. I leave mine in my garage without a second thought and I reckon the risk of it spontaneously combusting is the same as my car or lawn mower is. (ie virtually none)
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

User avatar
johnrobholmes   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3940
Joined: Jul 07 2008 2:19pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by johnrobholmes » Apr 20 2018 7:26am

The green is anodized. Green is the hardest color of all IMo. Too much and it quickly turns dark, so a lighter green such as this bike will be on the “thin” looking side of anodizing. It’s still a proper coat, mine hasn’t scratched at all.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6452
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Rix » Apr 20 2018 9:34am

Hyena wrote:
Apr 19 2018 10:18pm
How's the colour in person ? Is it powdercoat or anodizing ?
It looks fairly thin in the pics but I guess it's hard to tell. In the pedal kit tutorial video posted ages back the swing arm and main frame are a different colour which looked pretty average.

As for the battery charging thing, as I always say anything with the potential to release energy has teh potential to blow up, be it battery, nuclear, gas, steam etc. I leave mine in my garage without a second thought and I reckon the risk of it spontaneously combusting is the same as my car or lawn mower is. (ie virtually none)
In addition to what JRH said, mine is flawlessly anodized and the pics don't do it justice. I still cant believe the quality of this machine for the price.

Raisedeyebrows   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 391
Joined: May 13 2017 1:39pm
Location: Oregon/South Point Hawaii USA back and forth

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Apr 20 2018 12:07pm

One of these certainly would look good on one of the green bikes.
Image
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA

Every trip made with electric bike is one less car trip, saves money, no toxic fumes, less noise, less impact on roads.

User avatar
efMX Trials Electric Freeride   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1140
Joined: Feb 15 2013 4:43pm

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Apr 20 2018 12:37pm

Raisedeyebrows wrote:
Apr 20 2018 12:07pm
One of these certainly would look good on one of the green bikes.
Image
question for Sur-ron dealer / distributors :

what is the headset size / standard used on light bee, 1.5 standard, 1 1/8 standard, tapered, integrated or external bearing cups.. this will be a factor in what after market forks can be fitted (and headset bearing / frame head tube durability)..

example : motoped uses 1.5 head tube standard with 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer cups and external bearing cups..

motomoto did you ever disassemble your headset for damage inspection after the double jump??

reference : https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -section-9
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

Post Reply